It's [not yet] official, Rick Barnes in as head coach

I love would much rather take a chance on a mid major up and comer like Hurley, Petino Jr. or the Murray State coach, than to go with this washed up Texas cast off.

Once again Tennessee settles for an underwhelming option. We need an energetic charismatic personality similar to Pearl, to make this program reach its potential, not a washed up underachieving re-tread.
You don't even know those coaches names you are listing smh. Rick Barnes is a household name, and every highschool kid knows who he is.
Pitino Jr is trash and living off of his daddy's name. You want him over Barnes? Hahaha...

Reactions: 1 person
tumblr_miy68pB9Pi1qiaxzfo1_400.gif

This made my millennium

See this is the issue I have with Barnes. If he is a great coach why havent his teams been to the sweet 16 more frequently? Is he really a great recruiter? I know he got a.lot of Texas kids to stay home, but he won't have that luxury here.

This post should be on repeat: Durant, Bradley, Augustin, Tucker, Joseph, and Thompson are all NBA players from out of state. Joseph and Thompson are from Canada. He takes a lot of Texas players because the state has good talent.

Reactions: 4 people
From what I understand, Texas wanted to keep Barnes but only if he cleaned house among his assistants

1. It wasn't Bruce Pearl.
2. A lot of the folks on here possess a dangerous combination of unrealistic expectations, minimal understanding of how bad our current situation is from a talent perspective, zero foresight, and are pretty dumb, to boot.
3. It wasn't Bruce Pearl.

Notin like hittin da nail on da head.

Barnes is a fantastic hire. Great recruiter, well respected throughout basketball and a winner. Cannot satisfy all of the people, EVER. He will instantly (re)establish Tennessee has a player in basketball, not only in the SEC but nationally.
Sometimes the stars just align perfectly, this is one of those times.

Reactions: 6 people
I mean the Big 12 is a much stronger conference than the SEC in basketball as of now. Adding new coaches with previous success will help improve the overall SEC

Super excited about this hire and I think he'll be the best coach in Tennessee history when he retires. I just think he needed a change in scenery.

Reactions: 2 people
I mean the Big 12 is a much stronger conference than the SEC in basketball as of now. Adding new coaches with previous success will help improve the overall SEC

Earlier today sports talk was talking about how the SEC replaced Barbee, Tyndall, Ray, and Grant. With Pearl, Barnes, Howland, and possibly Marshall. Pretty crazy how much the conference improved

Reactions: 3 people
If you don't like this hire you're full of ####. Folks, we were turned down by Michael White just last year, yes Michael White. Texas loss=our gain...great timing for sure.

Reactions: 7 people
No, and I think I made that pretty clear on the original thread about Barnes. I think this is the equivalent of if UT had rehired Phil Fulmer a few years back.

But I'll still support him and the team, and hope that I'm wrong. At least I'm confident that our current basketball coach won't land us on probation, or need to be fired in less than a year in order to keep us off probation.

If I were Barnes, at my introductory press conference, I think the first thing I'd say would be: "Finally, after all these years, I get to come to the real UT!"

This was all about Hart covering his a** and making a safe hire. This is what you get when you hire a bammer.

Bingo!!! This sums it up perfectly!!!

Bama Dave needs to get his walking papers and take ButtCheek the BoogerEater with him!!!

I'm so,so, on this hire, not happy, but don't hate it. He could be good, or could be bad. I sort of think he's another Phillip fulmer, will bring stability, but sort of think the game has passed him by, let's face it, his teams have been crap for the past 5 years, but hope this can reinvigorate him, to want to succeed..

VN Store

Back