It's [not yet] official, Rick Barnes in as head coach

I get what you are saying but if he gets us to the tourney on a consistent basis (which Cuonzo did not do) then I am happy. The tourney is a crapshoot outside of the top 5 teams. Who did you want us to hire that we could afford?

Barnes isn't going to do that though.

Bobby Hurley or Brad Underwood. A couple more.

reading throughout this thread Im kinda surprised by some.

How can this be seen as anything but an outstanding hire by UT? I think ya'll are very fortunate he was available when you needed a stable hire. UT couldn't mess this one up, you literally had to have a good hire. this is it.

Reactions: 6 people
No I haven't. I watch a lot of college basketball. He isn't a good coach.

This is a straight, awful situation of looking at the results, not the process. Texas has THE BIGGEST ATHLETIC BUDGET IN THE COUNTRY. Austin is a place college kids want to go. Texas is a brand name, the flagship program in the state, and has numerous boosters. It's a top 15 job at minimum, and in my opinion a top ten job.

So what is Rick Barnes' strength? Recruiting. Now, you take away all of that, you had a guy who is declining, who's advanced numbers favors athletes and not coaching, and also had the fact he's taking over a bad roster and a program that is declining and you expect him to be in the tournament every year? The guy was barely making the tournament at ****ing Texas. The guy has proven and time and time again he cannot win with lesser players.

Basically, you just gave $2M for Cuonzo Martin results.

Actually, that's unfair to Cuonzo. He's made a sweet sixteen this decade.

I was waiting for someone else to say it so I wouldn't be the bad guy.

But, this is spot on. Expect the results he produced at Clemson not at Texas.

Texas has had an above .500 conference record once in the last 4 years.

I don't think this will end well...even as a bridge to someone else.

Reactions: 1 person
NO !!!

I can't believe that moron Bama hayseed AD just hired a Texas reject underachiever.

Fire shHart and Booger Eater ButtCheek today!!!

You're better than this Calban

I thought you were.
This is a good hire for this situation.
We were relevant for a short period under Pearl. Barnes will bring that back. Just the name adds credibility to a program that's been a laughing stock lately.
Watch the media perception change. then watch the recruits pour in.

Reactions: 2 people
reading throughout this thread Im kinda surprised by some.

How can this be seen as anything but an outstanding hire by UT? I think ya'll are very fortunate he was available when you needed a stable hire. UT couldn't mess this one up, you literally had to have a good hire. this is it.
Some people will never be happy. Barnes if anything can recruit. He'll bring gravitas to the program. He will leave this program in much better shape than where he found it.

We have offered this washed up has been the job twice over the years and he laughed at us.Now we have to hire a castoff from Texas. As George stated so eloquently in "Hoosiers"..."I don't know why Cletus dragged your tired old bones in here"...

I thought you were.
This is a good hire for this situation.
We were relevant for a short period under Pearl. Barnes will bring that back. Just the name adds credibility to a program that's been a laughing stock lately.
Watch the media perception change. then watch the recruits pour in.

No it's not. He can't coach. He doesn't have Texas to recruit for him. People just look at results and blindly assume the same thing is going to happen at another school but it won't.

No it's not. He can't coach. He doesn't have Texas to recruit for him. People just look at results and blindly assume the same thing is going to happen at another school but it won't.
He's a good enough coach to average 20 win seasons in the B12.
RPI #1 this season and still won 20.
Not like he's going against the best x o coaches in the SEC. Andy Kennedy is even successful here.
I agree. Not the best game coach in the business. But he will win here.

Name 1 realistic, potential hire that would've been better than this hall of famer!

Well who knows what was realistic, I don't and apparently we weren't willing to wait for the search firm to let us know who was interested.

I bet the other UT makes a big hire and I'm afraid Bama will too. With the other UT making a big time hire Barnes will not be pulling big time recruits from TX which is where over 60% of his big time recruits came from.

I'm glad there is enthusiasm for the hire, but I understand the concern.

I'm with you on that, most days they don't even talk sports just some off the wall junk like kids would do. If you think 3HL is bad try midday 180 and hearing all three of them talk about "Bama Bangs!"

I heart radio John and Jimmy on the Animal in Knoxville all day over those clowns!

Some people will never be happy. Barnes if anything can recruit. He'll bring gravitas to the program. He will leave this program in much better shape than where he found it.

They'll see. Barnes is a fantastic coach. Im sure he might even bring Kevin Durant in to speak to teams or give a couple recruiting pitches:wink2:

And he's been to a final four, so its not like he can't do it. I was wowed buy the hire, and as a UK fan, I'm really happy for the conference. Even with Howland at MSU, this conference is getting better and better. :pepper:

Reactions: 3 people
Well who knows what was realistic, I don't and apparently we weren't willing to wait for the search firm to let us know who was interested.

I bet the other UT makes a big hire and I'm afraid Bama will too. With the other UT making a big time hire Barnes will not be pulling big time recruits from TX which is where over 60% of his big time recruits came from.

I'm glad there is enthusiasm for the hire, but I understand the concern.

I don't want to judge a hire based on what other hires are made by comparison. If you think we were going to pay 4+ mil for a coach to come here, think again.

He's a good enough coach to average 20 win seasons in the B12.
RPI #1 this season and still won 20.
Not like he's going against the best x o coaches in the SEC. Andy Kennedy is even successful here.
I agree. Not the best game coach in the business. But he will win here.

My thoughts exactly. I question the coaching side too but if he is averaging 20 wins as a terrible x n o coach then I'll take it. His resume is better than our entire basketball program put together.

See this is the issue I have with Barnes. If he is a great coach why havent his teams been to the sweet 16 more frequently? Is he really a great recruiter? I know he got a.lot of Texas kids to stay home, but he won't have that luxury here.

I love would much rather take a chance on a mid major up and comer like Hurley, Petino Jr. or the Murray State coach, than to go with this washed up Texas cast off.

Once again Tennessee settles for an underwhelming option. We need an energetic charismatic personality similar to Pearl, to make this program reach its potential, not a washed up underachieving re-tread.

How much will we be paying Barnes? Estimates? What was he making at texas? He's going to be pricey, and he has leverage as he knows we want him. Not to mention the higher assistant salaries.

If I remember what I read he was around 2.4 mil per year at Texas. Have to assume deal would have to be at least 2 mil here at Tenn if not higher IMO.

VN Store

Back