It's [not yet] official, Rick Barnes in as head coach

I will say it: I will take Butch Jones and give you 5 Strongs. Didn't want him then, and AM POSITIVE I don't want him now.

Butch was a better hire, and he has proven he much, much better.

Very true. Strong hardly has to leave the state of Texas to recruit elite players and plays in a much weaker conference than the SEC. Butch must recruit nationally to be competitive in the hardest conference in the nation. Butch has done a much better job than Strong could have ever done here. I would have loved to have matched up with them a bowl game this past season. Strong and the Long Horn faithful would have gotten Butch Slapped with the way we played in the bowl game.

Are you saying the" curse" might finally be over?

I sure hope so. I will always be a Vol fan, but these past few years have been brutal. My kids have never got to experience the pride that comes with being a Vol fan. I want so badly for them to experience what TN football was like when I was growing up. Those times when going 9-3 was disappointing, and we were competing for titles every year. I think we are close to those times now, and hiring a well established coach just makes me think that are luck is turning around.:rock:

tvdjgFK.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Cuonzo was ten seconds away from an Elite Eight. I don't see your point. My point was that people *****ed about Cuonzo, yet he's done something in the last seven years that Barnes hasn't and most people think Martin sucks.

I'm not trying to be a jackass, but go watch a Texas game. Go see if they are well coached. Because they are not. Go look at the advanced stats. All the good things are based on athletes. Go look what Texas people are saying. They are glad he is gone. Go look at his recruiting, where 60% of his recruits since 2002 come from Texas. Dave Hart failed to look at the process.

And what process is that? Find another diamond in the rough that has little to no resume to speak of? Some of you fail to realize the financial constraints we currently have. With the Tyndall situation blowing up in Hart's face he went after a proven commodity that has a very good winning percentage and is widely respected across the country for a price we could afford. I personally was hoping the timing would have been right to bring in Ben Howland, but the NCAA gave the university the information they needed after MSU had already scooped him up. Not to mention, before Pearl got here, most realistic fans just wanted the men's team to be competitive and make the NCAA tournament every other year. We are a football school. Barnes is about the best we could do for now. He will stabile the program like Don DeVoe did years ago. Hopefully Hart won't stifle Barnes with recruiting resources like Dickey did with DeVoe.

Yes when he's a crappy coach unworthy of support. Subpar coaches don't need to be supported. What they need is to be shown the door and a good coach brought in that can win.

Subpar fans shouldn't be supported either. We need you and the rest of the lowest common denominators to stay off the radio, social media, etc. and away from petitions.

I love would much rather take a chance on a mid major up and comer like Hurley, Petino Jr. or the Murray State coach, than to go with this washed up Texas cast off.

Once again Tennessee settles for an underwhelming option. We need an energetic charismatic personality similar to Pearl, to make this program reach its potential, not a washed up underachieving re-tread.

This is hilarious.

What in the blue hell has Pitino Jr. done to warrant a job offer? And if we got him the majority would piss and moan how we hired an unproven guy to learn on the job.

Reactions: 6 people
Well, hope they were paying that coaching search company by the day rather than by the job.

You and the rest of the butch women would complain about it either way. Good safe hire for a good price. Now don't you have another athletic department to cheer for?

Reactions: 2 people
If you like "seconds" that is fine. As for myself, if he is not good enough for Texas why would he be good enough for UT?

ANYBODY you get at this point is gonna be SECONDS. IF they are not happy where they are, they leave. When they leave, they automatically become seconds. You'll never have firsts, unless you hire someone off the street. You think UT will do that? Don't think so.:thumbsup:

I don't think anyone knows if it's a good hire or a bad hire yet. Maybe in 3-4 seasons we will, but we do know this basketball program is terrible at the moment. It's gonna take a lot to turn it around. I'll stand behind whoever is hired.

ANYBODY you get at this point is gonna be SECONDS. IF they are not happy where they are, they leave. When they leave, they automatically become seconds. You'll never have firsts, unless you hire someone off the street. You think UT will do that? Don't think so.:thumbsup:

He was fired. He didn't leave bc he was unhappy.

Now let's put this in perspective.
A week or two ago we're looking at DT and proud he wasn't last in the SEC with heavy problems hanging over our head. Really I actually thought he did a heck of job grabbing the players he could - but I saw no evidence of stepping into big time basketball recruits.
Fast forward -
Rick Barnes is UT's coach. Proven with past performance to be expected to be in the Dance every year. Rick or somebody he knows obviously knows how to spot talent and talk them into coming to a University so that is much more hope than a week ago! Maybe he won't get recruits, maybe he will. At least I feel like we have a better shot with him than Donnie two weeks ago!

I love would much rather take a chance on a mid major up and comer like Hurley, Petino Jr. or the Murray State coach, than to go with this washed up Texas cast off.

Once again Tennessee settles for an underwhelming option. We need an energetic charismatic personality similar to Pearl, to make this program reach its potential, not a washed up underachieving re-tread.

You are so fired up about Hurley, considering there are two of them. You spell Pitino's name wrong and you don't know the name of the "Murray State Coach" compelling argument made.

VN Store

Back