It's [not yet] official, Rick Barnes in as head coach

I love would much rather take a chance on a mid major up and comer like Hurley, Petino Jr. or the Murray State coach, than to go with this washed up Texas cast off.

Once again Tennessee settles for an underwhelming option. We need an energetic charismatic personality similar to Pearl, to make this program reach its potential, not a washed up underachieving re-tread.

You're clueless.

Reactions: 5 people
3HL is God awful to listen to. As a Knoxville transplant to Nashville, I honestly miss Basilio and Jimmy Hyams. All we got here is George Plaster prattling on and the clowns at 104.5. I listen to 560 AM most days for my sports talk fix.

Barnes is exactly what we need right now. He brings stability, reputation, and recruiting prowess. He is also a great builder. Texas had no program before his arrival.

Reactions: 2 people
I love would much rather take a chance on a mid major up and comer like Hurley, Petino Jr. or the Murray State coach, than to go with this washed up Texas cast off.

Once again Tennessee settles for an underwhelming option. We need an energetic charismatic personality similar to Pearl, to make this program reach its potential, not a washed up underachieving re-tread.

SADLY I'M with this guy. Why not a younger coach and not a 'holder' for a few years?

Reactions: 1 person
reading throughout this thread Im kinda surprised by some.

How can this be seen as anything but an outstanding hire by UT? I think ya'll are very fortunate he was available when you needed a stable hire. UT couldn't mess this one up, you literally had to have a good hire. this is it.

Nm, just GBO!

Last edited:
I really don't know how to feel about it. Guess if this goes through, we will find out soon enough.

3HL is God awful to listen to. As a Knoxville transplant to Nashville, I honestly miss Basilio and Jimmy Hyams. All we got here is George Plaster prattling on and the clowns at 104.5. I listen to 560 AM most days for my sports talk fix.

Basilio and Hyams are on the interwebs

See this is the issue I have with Barnes. If he is a great coach why havent his teams been to the sweet 16 more frequently? Is he really a great recruiter? I know he got a.lot of Texas kids to stay home, but he won't have that luxury here.

Why didn't our past teams just make the tournament? We've been to the dance once in the last four years, since Pearl was fired. Barnes gets his teams there year after year. We haven't been able to even do that!

I'm happy with the hire. I think it was the best one for Tennessee. He is the guy that could get us back to where Pearl had us, going into his last year. If Barnes stays for 5 to 10 years, this program will be in great shape.

How can this be seen as anything but an outstanding hire by UT?

1. It wasn't Bruce Pearl.
2. A lot of the folks on here possess a dangerous combination of unrealistic expectations, minimal understanding of how bad our current situation is from a talent perspective, zero foresight, and are pretty dumb, to boot.
3. It wasn't Bruce Pearl.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I'm ashamed at the anti Barnes ignorance. You all must be complete idiots to bash this hire. My guess is that you all are less than 20 years old. We've hit a GRAND SLAM with Barnes! NONE of the "UP and Comers" even come close to bringing the stability/credibility that he will bring. This hire is a best case scenario. I'm seriously embarrassed by the stupidity some of you are showing. Check the resumes.

Reactions: 8 people
I stopped taking you seriously when you compared him to Cuonzo. Barnes went to the elite 8 seven years ago. You seem like a fan who will not be happy with anything except championships. This is Tennessee, not UK.

This. Barnes' accomplishments exceed those of the entire history of the Vols in many categories:
Final Four - Barnes 1, Vols 0
Elite Eight - Barnes 3, Vols 1
Sweet 16 - Barnes 6, Vols 7
NCAA Appearances - Barnes 22, Vols 20

Some have suggested that "the game has passed him by." He was the 2014 Big 12 Coach of the Year. So I don't understand how the game has passed him by.

No one knows how he (or anyone else) will do here. If he can recruit, he will do well.

Reactions: 4 people
Could have been "burnt" out. Reminds me of when I was a kid shopping for a UT hat. I was like "this isn't orange." "It's too dull for me to wear."

Last edited:
I'm ashamed at the anti Barnes ignorance. You all must be complete idiots to bash this hire. My guess is that you all are less than 20 years old. We've hit a GRAND SLAM with Barnes! NONE of the "UP and Comers" even come close to bringing the stability/credibility that he will bring. This hire is a best case scenario. I'm seriously embarrassed by the stupidity some of you are showing. Check the resumes.

But they do own a bunch of participation trophies.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back