If it was proven the Pats cheated...

The only thing surprising to me is some of the posts claiming this is not a big deal. If this were the baseball playoffs, and one team was hitting balls that were 16% harder than the other team, I think everyone on hear would be calling for that team to be disqualified.

A 16% difference in inflation is significant... and there is no way that key players and coaches would not be aware of this.

Reactions: 4 people
The Brad Johnson thing is sort of big, but not for all the same reasons. I guess it's big because the bribing thing. But as far "scuffing" a ball. That's legal now (rule change). Each team can take a bit of shine off. And I'm guessing we aren't talking major gouges, since I'm not even sure what that would do. But he did bribe someone, which sounds terrible.

As far as the ball deflation. I don't know what my opinion is. Half the NFL is on roids. Not sure I care. And if there is even a minute noticeable difference, I'm sure Brady noticed (see Brees sports science). And between weather, and Gronking, and probably shrugging of the shoulders by the guy measuring 24 balls, there's a possibility (however small) that this was incidental. But dock them draft picks anyways because it will help the other 31 teams.

I remember reading an article about Peyton Manning meticulously preparing 50 footballs in the days leading up to the SB in 2006. You can't scuff them, but you can throw them around a little bit so that they are more game ready...anyways it seemed like a big waste of time, but then it rained and Peyton's balls were dry all game.

I'm in no way saying cancel the SB the Colts were blown out and I doubt correct balls would have made it to where the Colts wouldd have won, I just don't see why it mattters. Belicheat gets suspended but he helped himself get another SB shot. Doesn't make sense to me especially after the Penn State thing.

I'm in no way saying cancel the SB the Colts were blown out and I doubt correct balls would have made it to where the Colts wouldd have won, I just don't see why it mattters. Belicheat gets suspended but he helped himself get another SB shot. Doesn't make sense to me especially after the Penn State thing.

The game could have been totally different with propper balls. For example, a third down that was converted with a rigged ball might not have been with the proper balls. Say if the Colts got ball back instead of the Pats continuing the drive, the Colts could have found their rhythm and maybe it would have been a totally different game.

They apparently had the opposite effect. The game was actually competitive in the first half, and once the problem was discovered and corrected at halftime, the Colts got run off the field.

The guys one PTI discussed this yesterday and raised a good point IMO. How in the hell is an organization as massively profitable as the NFL leaving it up to the teams to provide and inflate the game balls? Why not just have the whole operation from the moment the balls are brought into the stadium to the moment the game ends overseen by a league official? Checking them two and a half hours before the game and then assuming the honor system will be sufficient from that point forward is stupid beyond belief.

Reactions: 1 person
There is now a report coming out that the grass in Foxboro was an illegal height and the goalposts were painted the wrong shade of yellow.

I understand that there are people upset that the letter of the law was not followed.

However, don't kid yourselves. Everyone who competes at that level is walking the edge and occasionally crossing the line.

This is seriously Mickey Mouse level stuff. Same goes for the Brad Johnson story.

Reactions: 2 people
MpjfyaY.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
All these analysts saying it's a non-story, no big deal situation need to shut up. As a former WR/wild-cat QB I'll tell ya- you can catch the ball, grip the ball, & throw the ball easier when it's not aired all the way up. I'm slowly losing respect for Brady. There is no way he didn't know.

Belichik basically passed the buck to Brady. Brady told the team he likes the ball "a certain way". Brady slated to make public statement soon.

Belichik basically passed the buck to Brady. Brady told the team he likes the ball "a certain way". Brady slated to make public statement soon.

I'm watching Brady's press conference now. He's such an arrogant douche.

Boy the Patriot/Brady butthurt is strong in here.

Not really. I think people are pretty tame here. Only 1 mention of "Belicheat". 0 mentions of spygate. Nobody has even called Brady a cheater. The strongest thing said against Brady is this:

I am a Brady fan but if it turns out that he knowingly cheated I'm not gonna be a fan of his anymore.

I think you just came in here expecting to see a lot of Brady/Patriots hatred. If that's what you're after, try the ESPN message board.

VN Store

Back