If Gruden Were Hired

If Bray did not stay then that tells you all you need to know about him and his commitment. And honestly-if what some report is true regarding his understanding of the game then he might not be a great match with Gruden anyways.

Won't matter all that much-Worley and Peterman are Gruden's kind of QBs anyways-especially Peterman.

And for those that want an old-school power running game? Oh, boy-Gruden will deliver that.

I really like this post.

For Gruden they all may stay.DD comes back they may leave to get away from that loser mentality he is inflicting on the program.

If we were somehow able to obtain Gruden as our head coach, do you think Hunter, Bray, and/or CP would want to stay and play for him or do you think they would bolt for the draft?

If Gruden is hired, it means that UT has lost to every good team on their schedule. That more than likely means that JH and TB continue to NOT perform against the best competition.

Remember, JH's draft projections are coming from media analysts and not NFL scouts themselves. Bray has yet to prove he can win a big game under pressure. Arms are nice... but they're also common. Winning when it is on the line isn't.

JH is dropping too many catchable balls. He is playing defensively. When scouts start watching his season film, he's going to drop like a rock if he doesn't start playing like the old JH right away. He's a guy with gamechanging potential who so far has only changed them in the wrong direction this season.

I live in Tampa and had season tickets to the Buc's. Tony Dungy had built a good football team that Jon Gruden inherited. The first year Gruden was here he had a 12-4 record and a super bowl. The following years 7-9, 5-11, 4-12, 9-7, 9-7 and over all percent of 509. He was fired for a poor record. Can anyone explain why we would be better than we are at present?

If you can honestly tell me who the GM and owners were during that time without googling it I'll be impressed.

Malcolm Glazer ower of Tampa Bay Buc's, Rich McKay was GM. No google. McKay now at Atlanta and doing a great job.

Really?? You do realize Saban had won a NC in college before he went to th NFL and failed right?? Same with Spurrior. Gruden doesn't have that on his resume or any kind of cfb experience other than GA 20 or so yrs ago.

Coaches going from cfb to nfl and reverse don't have the best track record as a whole. Not saying it can't happen but more failures then successes.

The college game and pro game have soooo many more differences than similarities.

I can think of several successful college coaches that failed in the NFL: Saban, Spurrier, Petrino. Callahan, etc. I'm having difficulty coming up with successful NFL guys that failed in college. What is the precedence for a successful NFL guy like Gruden not being able to step down to a less competitive stage? I know the SEC is tough, but it doesn't have the parity of the NFL, where the worst teams get the top picks each year. So, it should be easier for him to coach at TN compared to the NFL. Again, what are some examples of successful NFL coaches that couldn't go to college and make it?

According to how the rest of the season plays out, you could see two of the three come back. Possible, not probable.

jon-gruden1.jpeg

What i know is this wouldnt be happening anymore. Sorry if its in this thread...

I'm glad someone finally posted Gruden's record with Tampa Bay one great season and the rest mediocre seasons. I would rather have a proven winning college coach than an NFL coach because face it college is a lot different than the NFL. If the wheels did fall off of the Dooley truck UT better hire a proven winning homerun type of coach because if they don't we are right where we started. And btw Gruden is not coming to UT not now and not ever.

If we were somehow able to obtain Gruden as our head coach, do you think Hunter, Bray, and/or CP would want to stay and play for him or do you think they would bolt for the draft?

They just played a clip from Chris Low from ESPN and he said he has been told if Tennessee job came open Gruden would be interested in it. If he wanted to go to the college game. But he thought Gruden would be in the NFL. Can you image what he could do for Patterson,Bray,and Hunter. Tennessee has to call Gruden and make him tell us no. If they do not then Hart and whoever else needs to go. Tired of all this getting beat every week crap.

I can think of several successful college coaches that failed in the NFL: Saban, Spurrier, Petrino. Callahan, etc. I'm having difficulty coming up with successful NFL guys that failed in college. What is the precedence for a successful NFL guy like Gruden not being able to step down to a less competitive stage? I know the SEC is tough, but it doesn't have the parity of the NFL, where the worst teams get the top picks each year. So, it should be easier for him to coach at TN compared to the NFL. Again, what are some examples of successful NFL coaches that couldn't go to college and make it?

Honestly I was hoping someone could tell me some names of NFL to CFB coaches that have succeeded. And I'm talking about ones w/o cfb experience prior to their nfl jobs. I've tried to find some but they're aren't many. O'brien at psu is to early to tell. Weiss was a flop too. but both were coordinators so difference there with Gruden. Pete Carroll had a small unsuccessful time as HC at NE but he did a liitle time in cfb so understood the college game.

Bill Walsh went to stanford for one yr 77-78. Then back to the nfl. Then he went back to HC Stanford again in 92-94 before he retired from coaching to be the 49ers GM.

Now the only guy I can find that fits the closest to Gruden is Jim Mora at UCLA. He was a GA at Wash and then off to the nfl. No SB though. UCLA has gotten some fresh legs this yr but it's hard to judge the success of a coach after one yr. ie Hoke up at Mich.

I wouldn't say the nfl is easier than cfb to coach. To different beasts. Spurrior, Saban, and Petrino show how it's not for everyone even if your successful in cfb. Harbough is doing well but that's just one recent move. Schaino is one to watch and see if he can stay in the nfl. Many more of cfb to nfl success than the reverse. Ie jimmy Johnson, etc

Recruiting is way tougher than dealing with drafts. Nfl coaches can focus only on football not dealing with all the other day to day personal stuff of players like CFB coaches have to. I personally think overall CFB coaches have a tougher job than nfl coaches do. Especially big state school coaches as they have to politic way more and travel constantly. They can't just go out and bring in players to evaluate mid season if certain players arent cutting it. They have to be right every yr on thier recruiting ability.CFB coaches have restrictions placed on them that NFl ones don't.

IMO there's to many unknowns with a coach that hasn't coached in yrs. SB ring or not. And especially one that hasnt coached in CFB. Another concern of mine is stability. This is Dooley's dream job IMHO and gives it his all. Gruden can leave at a drop of a hat if someone in the nfl comes calling or if just gets fed up with the politics that's is UT football. Not worth it IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm glad someone finally posted Gruden's record with Tampa Bay one great season and the rest mediocre seasons. I would rather have a proven winning college coach than an NFL coach because face it college is a lot different than the NFL. If the wheels did fall off of the Dooley truck UT better hire a proven winning homerun type of coach because if they don't we are right where we started. And btw Gruden is not coming to UT not now and not ever.

If the wheels fell off? Zero and everybody ranked and the SEC, Loss to KY ending streak (and they started a WR at QB) Don't kid yourself, the wheels are off.

gruden would bring in a bunch of 5 star studs on the recruiting trail---most current players would leave for the nfl.

You right. About some players leaving, don't know who is NFL ready right now. Because Gruden would coach them up and if they can't take the heat get out. There is a reason Saban failed in the NFL. The NFL players do not have to take all that stuff he does. But it works great in college. Gruden would bring in all kind of recruits. He can recruit against Saban.

You right. About some players leaving, don't know who is NFL ready right now. Because Gruden would coach them up and if they can't take the heat get out. There is a reason Saban failed in the NFL. The NFL players do not have to take all that stuff he does. But it works great in college. Gruden would bring in all kind of recruits. He can recruit against Saban.

CDD can recruit with Saban as well. Derrick Henry says hello :hi: We were a solid option for him not like UGA was just a third hat to fill space. Once cdd gets it rebuilt, starts winning, and gets the hot seat talk gone recruiting against Saban won't be an issue.

I'll tell you this right now recruiting against Saban will be a lot easier if CDD let boosters do what Bama allows theirs to do. Glad he doesn't but let's face it recruiting isn't even.

I live in Tampa and had season tickets to the Buc's. Tony Dungy had built a good football team that Jon Gruden inherited. The first year Gruden was here he had a 12-4 record and a super bowl. The following years 7-9, 5-11, 4-12, 9-7, 9-7 and over all percent of 509. He was fired for a poor record. Can anyone explain why we would be better than we are at present?

Yea, because of all the first and second round draft picks they lost, and a terrible salary cap situation.:crazy:

He turned the Raiders around!:rock:

He knows his x's & o's, and his name alone would bring big time recruits.:good!:

He would be a fool to give up that cushy job to go back to coaching.:loco:

VFL

Honestly I was hoping someone could tell me some names of NFL to CFB coaches that have succeeded. And I'm talking about ones w/o cfb experience prior to their nfl jobs. I've tried to find some but they're aren't many. O'brien at psu is to early to tell. Weiss was a flop too. but both were coordinators so difference there with Gruden. Pete Carroll had a small unsuccessful time as HC at NE but he did a liitle time in cfb so understood the college game.

Bill Walsh went to stanford for one yr 77-78. Then back to the nfl. Then he went back to HC Stanford again in 92-94 before he retired from coaching to be the 49ers GM.

Now the only guy I can find that fits the closest to Gruden is Jim Mora at UCLA. He was a GA at Wash and then off to the nfl. No SB though. UCLA has gotten some fresh legs this yr but it's hard to judge the success of a coach after one yr. ie Hoke up at Mich.

I wouldn't say the nfl is easier than cfb to coach. To different beasts. Spurrior, Saban, and Petrino show how it's not for everyone even if your successful in cfb. Harbough is doing well but that's just one recent move. Schaino is one to watch and see if he can stay in the nfl. Many more of cfb to nfl success than the reverse. Ie jimmy Johnson, etc

Recruiting is way tougher than dealing with drafts. Nfl coaches can focus only on football not dealing with all the other day to day personal stuff of players like CFB coaches have to. I personally think overall CFB coaches have a tougher job than nfl coaches do. Especially big state school coaches as they have to politic way more and travel constantly. They can't just go out and bring in players to evaluate mid season if certain players arent cutting it. They have to be right every yr on thier recruiting ability.CFB coaches have restrictions placed on them that NFl ones don't.

IMO there's to many unknowns with a coach that hasn't coached in yrs. SB ring or not. And especially one that hasnt coached in CFB. Another concern of mine is stability. This is Dooley's dream job IMHO and gives it his all. Gruden can leave at a drop of a hat if someone in the nfl comes calling or if just gets fed up with the politics that's is UT football. Not worth it IMO.

I think you make some very good points.

I actually would lean toward taking Gruden now if you could get him.

He is certainly a splash hire (he's been the fan's choice for about every job that has come open over the last several yrs,)

I think a splash hire is what we need to turn things around. SEC is a brutal conference, and it's going to take a bit of a risk to shoot to the top. Gruden just might be a "sexy" enough coach (think Kiffin, Urban Meyer, Saban) to move us back into playing for championships again.

Again, I think you make really good points, though.

VN Store

Back