If Gruden Were Hired

Doesn't matter....our recruiting will sky rocket! Hunters playing like a puss and CP doesn't know the routes, right now they are hurting us just as much as helping with the inconsistency.

How good of a college recruiter is Gruden? That's what I thought why would we want him, thinking recruits would run to play for him that's just crazy talk. Someone posted on here earlier his stats in the pros, if it hadn't been for Dungy he would not have had the SB. Drooly wins against bama book it Dano.

How good of a college recruiter is Gruden? That's what I thought why would we want him, thinking recruits would run to play for him that's just crazy talk. Someone posted on here earlier his stats in the pros, if it hadn't been for Dungy he would not have had the SB. Drooly wins against bama book it Dano.

I hope we do. The Grudenite thread would implode! It's a strange situation when you have groups of fans hoping you lose, when you still have a shot at beating the #1 team in the country, finishing 9-3, and playing in a New Year's day bowl. I know that's very unlikely, but the fact we have fans hoping that we don't is just weird and sad.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope we do. The Grudenite thread would implode! It's a strange situation when you have groups of fans hoping you lose, when you still have a shot at beating the #1 team in the country, finishing 9-3, and playing in a New Year's day bowl. I know that's very unlikely, but the fact we have fans hoping that we don't is just weird and sad.
That's what you Dool-Aid drinkers keep missing. Most of us JUST WANT TO GET THE PROGRAM FIXED....PERIOD. I want Dooley to be the one to do it...but do it THIS SEASON. It's halfway over and we are back to our losing ways, despite having the No.1 passing offense in the conference.

The evidence is there for all to see...that Hamilton screwed us raw. He chose Dooley over Kevin Sumlin, who was immanently more qualified for the job....and we are seeing that screw up show in terms of W's and L's. Sumlin is killing it, while Dooley is....well, what he does best. LOSE.

Attachments

• Gruden_Signal_04.jpg
    Gruden_Signal_04.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 1 person
Why are we discussing Hiring Gruden the day before the Bama game? Screw that, get behind Dooley and the team and lets beat Bama! GO VOLS!

Can someone tell me why Gruden keeps showing up on these forums? i am tennessee gfan, grew up in Tennessee die hard fan. 41 years old. Lived in Tampa last 13 years. Gruden is not liked much in Tampa although he lives here and wom super bowl here. basic bottom line is as soon as he was fired his former players went off on sports radio about how Gruden was a self centered self promoter who never showed leadership in that he cared for the players as people. Google it. Locally here regular people who know him think he is a major A-hole. Goes back to his self focused ego. Fired 2 years after a super bowl!!! Given that he is known as a self absorbed person with little regard and care for others, no experiemce developing the character of players on the college level, what is it about this guy that people want him so much? Daggone his own NFL players by a majority was glad to see him go . Smart guy. Leadership questionable.

Doesn't matter....our recruiting will sky rocket! Hunters playing like a puss and CP doesn't know the routes, right now they are hurting us just as much as helping with the inconsistency.

And what major college program did u play for? NCAA 2013 doesn't count.

Can someone tell me why Gruden keeps showing up on these forums? i am tennessee gfan, grew up in Tennessee die hard fan. 41 years old. Lived in Tampa last 13 years. Gruden is not liked much in Tampa although he lives here and wom super bowl here. basic bottom line is as soon as he was fired his former players went off on sports radio about how Gruden was a self centered self promoter who never showed leadership in that he cared for the players as people. Google it. Locally here regular people who know him think he is a major A-hole. Goes back to his self focused ego. Fired 2 years after a super bowl!!! Given that he is known as a self absorbed person with little regard and care for others, no experiemce developing the character of players on the college level, what is it about this guy that people want him so much? Daggone his own NFL players by a majority was glad to see him go . Smart guy. Leadership questionable.
They were better under him than they have been since. The one thing they needed was a marquee QB. Whether it was his own ego thinking he could, yet again, coach an average QB into an efficient game manager, like Gannon or Brad Johnson, or his GM would never make the trades necessary to move up in the draft to take a franchise-level QB....that was the critical missing piece.

It's hard for any coach to win consistently with backup level QB's. That's what Tampa had for all those years. Even the year he got fired, Tampa was looking like a serious playoff contender until the last couple of games. Can't remember if the got knocked out of the playoffs on the last regular season game, or in the wild card rd.

This is why I think Gruden may actually be interested in UT this time around. An abundance of talent at the QB and WR position. He also knows his NFL experience and SB ring will be a recruiting magnet...so he isn't at the mercy of some draft order. He can shop for his own groceries.

If we were somehow able to obtain Gruden as our head coach, do you think Hunter, Bray, and/or CP would want to stay and play for him or do you think they would bolt for the draft?

I refuse to get into this "Gruden what if crap."

I only stopped in to compliment OP on excellent grammar in thread description. I truly appreciate proper use of the subjunctive mood. It is a rare occurrence on this board.

Thank you, sir!

GBO!!!

:salute:

I think you make some very good points.

I actually would lean toward taking Gruden now if you could get him.

He is certainly a splash hire (he's been the fan's choice for about every job that has come open over the last several yrs,)

I think a splash hire is what we need to turn things around. SEC is a brutal conference, and it's going to take a bit of a risk to shoot to the top. Gruden just might be a "sexy" enough coach (think Kiffin, Urban Meyer, Saban) to move us back into playing for championships again.

Again, I think you make really good points, though.

I totally understand he will be a splash hire. We had one of those a few yrs ago and how did that turn out?? I want stability and the building of a solid foundation. This back to me believing this is Dooley's dream job. He will be for a long time if he succeeds once the rebuilding plan is complete which everyone knew it wasn't to a 5 yr deal. Now we have all this impatient people that will be burning mattresses when Gruden leaves after a few yrs. smh

This is interesting. I was being bashed yesterday for saying that I believe Gruden has been like a little snake behind Dooley's back the last few months. He was invited to campus and know he's letting people put it out there that he would be interested in the job. What a pos.

If we were somehow able to obtain Gruden as our head coach, do you think Hunter, Bray, and/or CP would want to stay and play for him or do you think they would bolt for the draft?

(1) Gruden will/is not coming to U.T. as an employee, rather it be as a coach, an A.D. or an announcer.

(2) Bray needs to return for his senior season. (a) His
4th quarter stats are horrible (b) Worley will not do well as the starter and Peterman is not ready to take over, so you better hope Bray returns.

(3) Hunter is not NFL strong and will likely get pushed around by the defensive backs. He needs to hit the weight room hard this off season and be more aggresive.

(4) Hunter drops more passes than he catchs. He needs another season of seasoning.

(5) C.P. has difficulty learning the play book, so he is not NFL ready.

(6) C.P. drops more passes than he catchs, so he needs to be more consistant before heading to the NFL.

If smart, they will all three return.

If Dooley is fired and a weak coach is hired, then they will declare. If Dooley is fired and a strong, respectable coach is hired, they will likely stay.
Look at the improvement Ainge make when Sanders left and Cutcliffe returned. Look at the improvement Crompton made when Clawson left and Kiffin came. Look at the line now that Harry is gone to Notre Dame and Pittman is coaching them.
One season under the right position coach can make a difference.

I live in Tampa and had season tickets to the Buc's. Tony Dungy had built a good football team that Jon Gruden inherited. The first year Gruden was here he had a 12-4 record and a super bowl. The following years 7-9, 5-11, 4-12, 9-7, 9-7 and over all percent of 509. He was fired for a poor record. Can anyone explain why we would be better than we are at present?

I`m still trying to figure out why people think he is a "Homerun Hire".

I`m still trying to figure out why people think he is a "Homerun Hire".

Five words.

"ERMAGHERD, A SERPER BERHL RIIIIIIIIING!!!!"

Oh, and he makes funny faces. If you listen to the "Grudenites", that alone is worth two wins and a five-star recruit.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back