I have always heard people talk about Jimmy Cheek

It's been a few years so I'm not sure of all the details. It was a razor thin margin on them not getting in.

The positives are that they loved their time at UTC and are successful today. Amazing, with them being such morons that couldn't get into UT. Also they made room for some out of state nerds to get their education at a great institution.

Or maybe a smart local kid picked UT over Vandy or UNC because they could go to school for free?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cheek trying to turn our primary public university in this area into an exclusive institution? The problem I have with that is that UT's mission statement is to service the higher education needs of the people of East Tennessee, and now it's increasingly drawing students from out of state as the standards are out of reach of more and more East Tennessee new high school graduates.

This is how I understood his actions and efforts, correct me if I'm wrong.

EXACTLY!! This is the primary purpose of UT. Cheek is trying to make us like UNC, UVa, etc., and it's not going to happen. He will not draw the absolute cream of the crop when those other two universities are so close to us. Oh yeah - don't forget about the proximity of Georgia Tech.
Besides, what does some stupid ranking in US News and World Report do for the average graduate? Who the $%*# reads that rag anyway?

As for Booger Boy making a difference in our rankings -links, please.

Truth. The problem is Tennessee and to a greater extent Knoxville have been terrible at attracting high paying jobs. Blame also lies on our advocates in the House and Senate.

What I don't know is how UT is at helping place its best students. I know Auburn has an excellent engineering and construction management program, and has established relationships with Contractors in Georgia and Alabama.

Another truth. UT would have a hard enough time becoming another UVa under ordinary circumstances, but now it's even harder to do so because of the extreme incompetence in Legislatorland and in the Gubnah's office.

Truth. The problem is Tennessee and to a greater extent Knoxville have been terrible at attracting high paying jobs. Blame also lies on our advocates in the House and Senate.

What I don't know is how UT is at helping place its best students. I know Auburn has an excellent engineering and construction management program, and has established relationships with Contractors in Georgia and Alabama.

I thought the placement office was more than adequate while I was there. But, it doesn't make the jobs. It can only post them and arrange interviews, etc.

Why did any of that matter? I was a local kid who went kindergarten thru college in Knoxville. Once I graduated I left and haven't lived in Knoxville since. Plenty of others I know did the same. How is that any different than an out of state student doing the same?

Because we are supposed to accept every kid from E. TN first no matter that they aren't able to make above a 3.5 in our pitiful public education system.

So many people misunderstand this issue. The solution isn't getting people who "want to stay" in Tennessee. The solution is for Tennesee to provide jobs that make the graduates stay there.

For example. I have an engineering degree from UT. I was an out of state student, but absolutely loved Tennessee and married a Tennessee girl. At graduation time, engineering jobs in Tennessee were few and far between. So, I ended up getting a great job elsewhere and we moved. And it wasn't back to my home state, because there weren't a lot of opportunities there, either.

Graduates go where the jobs are. Pure and simple.

Ditto.

So many people misunderstand this issue. The solution isn't getting people who "want to stay" in Tennessee. The solution is for Tennesee to provide jobs that make the graduates stay there.

For example. I have an engineering degree from UT. I was an out of state student, but absolutely loved Tennessee and married a Tennessee girl. At graduation time, engineering jobs in Tennessee were few and far between. So, I ended up getting a great job elsewhere and we moved. And it wasn't back to my home state, because there weren't a lot of opportunities there, either.

Graduates go where the jobs are. Pure and simple.

The misunderstanding is in the fact that many believe the land grant university is for the state's own population. Apparently this is no longer the case.

He's the chancellor of the university, not the chancellor of the football team. The University of Tennessee is an academic institution and if it surprises you that he talks about academics, that's your own problem.

His entire mission as chancellor has been improving the school in academic rankings. (And it has become a significantly better institution since the 80s and 90s).

This isn't a problem at all. The problem is that (it seems) he doesn't care about football even in the slightest.

This isn't a problem at all. The problem is that (it seems) he doesn't care about football even in the slightest.

He doesn't have to! There are lot of alumni and current students who don't care about football. Does that make them any less VFL than you or me? I don't think so!
He is a VC, and he is trying to get us to top 25 public universities which is darn difficult!

VN Store

Back