I have always heard people talk about Jimmy Cheek

So do better in school if you want to get in.

UT accepts the better students because they want to become a top 25 university. You don't do that by accepting generations of 2.5 GPA students that make a sub-28 ACT score.

ThIs is removing an element of common sense. 1 point on an ACT shouldn't knock legacy students out.

UT accepts the better students because they want to become a top 25 university. You don't do that by accepting generations of 2.5 GPA students that make a sub-28 ACT score.

You make it sound like anyone who gets lower than 28 on the ACT is a moron. That couldn't be further from the truth.

ThIs is removing an element of common sense. 1 point on an ACT shouldn't knock legacy students out.

One point on the ACT won't knock legacy students out. Clearly they aren't as smart as you think they are.

You make it sound like anyone who gets lower than 28 on the ACT is a moron. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Also that wasn't my intention, but they raise their minimums based on their current acceptance rates. There has to be a cut off somewhere and a lot of people are staying in state and coming to Tennessee for various reasons.

Also that wasn't my intention, but they raise their minimums based on their current acceptance rates. There has to be a cut off somewhere and a lot of people are staying in state and coming to Tennessee for various reasons.

I get that. I was just saying I'm not sure it's the best thing when the state university is turning away local kids with good grades and ACT scores in the mid-upper 20's in favor of out of state candidates just to raise their national ranking. If those people come from out of state, get a great education and stay here to start careers, then that's fantastic, and the vision makes a lot of sense. If they just come here, attend school and leave once they have their degree, all while we're forcing really smart local students into a subpar education, then maybe the vision needs to be reconsidered. UT isn't Harvard, Duke, etc., nor IMO, should it try to be.

I get that. I was just saying I'm not sure it's the best thing when the state university is turning away local kids with good grades and ACT scores in the mid-upper 20's in favor of out of state candidates just to raise their national ranking. If those people come from out of state, get a great education and stay here to start careers, then that's fantastic, and the vision makes a lot of sense. If they just come here, attend school and leave once they have their degree, all while we're forcing really smart local students into a subpar education, then maybe the vision needs to be reconsidered. UT isn't Harvard, Duke, etc., nor IMO, should it try to be.

This sums up my sentiment too. I know Cheek wants UT to be a top 25 university, but is it the best interest of East Tennessee for it to be one?

No need to go overboard with the Harvard/Duke stuff when there are plenty of public state schools beating UT both on the field and in academic rankings.

UT should keep their standards high and maybe that will help get TN high schools to step up their game. A higher level of education benefits everyone

Reactions: 3 people
One point on the ACT won't knock legacy students out. Clearly they aren't as smart as you think they are.

It's been a few years so I'm not sure of all the details. It was a razor thin margin on them not getting in.

The positives are that they loved their time at UTC and are successful today. Amazing, with them being such morons that couldn't get into UT. Also they made room for some out of state nerds to get their education at a great institution.

It's been a few years so I'm not sure of all the details. It was a razor thin margin on them not getting in.

The positives are that they loved their time at UTC and are successful today. Amazing, with them being such morons that couldn't get into UT. Also they made room for some out of state nerds to get their education at a great institution.

They can charge those out of state nerds more!

you guys miss the point. this conversation was at a pep rally - in jacksonville. an event celebrating the football program. he most definitely should have been willing to talk football and put academics on hold while mingling at this particular event.

Naw. If I run into Butch at a pre-graduation party and all he wants to talk about is football and recruiting, then we are in good shape. Glad to hear CJC is obsessed primarily with education. The institution needs it and it's his job.

Reactions: 1 person

UT accepts sub 28 ACT scores. The key word to the 28 is "average". Plenty of sub 28 ACT get in as well as above 28. My daughter got in with a 26 this past fall.Just saying...

This sums up my sentiment too. I know Cheek wants UT to be a top 25 university, but is it the best interest of East Tennessee for it to be one?

Tennessee is a state school not an East Tennessee school. My daughter got in and she is from middle Tennessee. Sorry if she bumped a East Tennessee student...:)

He was there, wasn't he? Some university presidents/ chancellors wouldn't be caught dead at a pep rally.

Where were you, btw?

I was there as well.

Of course I am not being paid 372, 600 dollars a year to represent the school as Cheek is either.

I was there for the love of the school and football team.

you guys miss the point. this conversation was at a pep rally - in jacksonville. an event celebrating the football program. he most definitely should have been willing to talk football and put academics on hold while mingling at this particular event.

Seems like this point is being missed by most everyone in this thread hear at CheekNation.com

Serious question, what exactly has he done that has raised the ire of so many UT fans? The kids who didn't make in the last few years were pretty much all clearinghouse cases. So, I'm totally lost as to why he gets so much hate.

Meddling in the coaching hires and the sports side of things is my main problem with him.

He's a great academic guy as so many of his fans here have pointed out.

What exactly does he know about searching for and hiring coaches and running athletic departments though?

no, not really. Just seems like you are missing the point of Cheek's job.

I am not missing the point of his job at all,

Being at a pep rally where he is glad handing football fans, he can say something, ANYTHING, positive about the football team however.

He is responsible for the decline of our football program in several different ways. He removed some courses that helped recruits meet academic requirements, he took huge amounts of cash out to fund his stupid pet projects which he only stopped when Hart went around him directly to the Board of Trustees, he didn't stop taking those millions from the football program because he is a nice guy he only did it because the BOT forced him to. Then afterwards he and his cronies said that the University would never again help out the Athletic Dept financially.
He is the reason we couldn't afford or find a decent coach, it was known all around the country that he was prohibiting the AD from functioning competitively. He is the reason our Athletic Dept only had 3 million in reserve funds when Alabama and Auburn and others in the SEC have 70 million plus. He is the reason that Dave Hart is not only the Athletic Director but also a vice Chancellor. This is so Dave Hart can now tell Cheeks to go screw himself when it comes to the Athletic Dept.

Cheeks took control of the AD in 2009 i think it was everyone blames Hamilton but Cheeks was in control. Cheeks is the "internal problem" that CPF and Hart and everyone talked about a couple years ago before the BOT meeting.

All if this is public record if you do a little research but I followed it closely back when the BOT meeting was happening. I could go on but you get the idea.

I personally despise the booger eating piece of trash.

At least someone else gets it LMAO

Well stated.

Jimmy is like that trouble making University President on Necessary Roughness that gets fired at the end of the movie.

VN Store

Back