I have always heard people talk about Jimmy Cheek

He is responsible for the decline of our football program in several different ways. He removed some courses that helped recruits meet academic requirements, he took huge amounts of cash out to fund his stupid pet projects which he only stopped when Hart went around him directly to the Board of Trustees, he didn't stop taking those millions from the football program because he is a nice guy he only did it because the BOT forced him to. Then afterwards he and his cronies said that the University would never again help out the Athletic Dept financially.
He is the reason we couldn't afford or find a decent coach, it was known all around the country that he was prohibiting the AD from functioning competitively. He is the reason our Athletic Dept only had 3 million in reserve funds when Alabama and Auburn and others in the SEC have 70 million plus. He is the reason that Dave Hart is not only the Athletic Director but also a vice Chancellor. This is so Dave Hart can now tell Cheeks to go screw himself when it comes to the Athletic Dept.

Cheeks took control of the AD in 2009 i think it was everyone blames Hamilton but Cheeks was in control. Cheeks is the "internal problem" that CPF and Hart and everyone talked about a couple years ago before the BOT meeting.

All if this is public record if you do a little research but I followed it closely back when the BOT meeting was happening. I could go on but you get the idea.

I personally despise the booger eating piece of trash.

I honestly had no clue so I did spend some time trying to corroborate what you've claimed. Mostly, what I found was that we were really up a creek without a paddle around 2011. Primarily due to outstanding debt related to construction/renovation of our athletic facilities, but also because we were paying buyouts to pretty much everybody (Fulmer, Pearl, Raleigh, and Hamilton). The athletic department also pays a lot in tuition. So, Hart steps in and the athletic department budget report showed something like 80% of our student athletes were from out-of-state. That adds up.

So, it just kind of doesn't sound like Cheek is a particularly big issue. He may not have wanted to give up the $7 million or whatever the academic side was being paid, but that's kind of the least of our problems. The athletic department is in the tank because we made a number of terrible hires, wracked up renovation/building debt, and then lost ticket sales and donations.

I don't necessarily feel the need to defend the guy, but I'm just having a hard time coming up with anything. I suppose you could make the claim he hamstrung the coaching search, but the athletic department clearly had problems.

UT Athletics Provides Financial Update - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics
At Tennessee, Big Orange battles red ink - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

Reactions: 1 person
My biggest problem with Cheek has always been his meddling in the Athletics side of things. I would be cool with him if he just let the AD run itself.

He's the chancellor of the university, not the chancellor of the football team. The University of Tennessee is an academic institution and if it surprises you that he talks about academics, that's your own problem.

AMEN. And I am happy that he is improving the standing of the Univesity. It only helps those of us who have a degree.

The fact that he was in Jacksonville shows that he supports the program. His is just not an idiot like E. Gordon Gee who infamously stated that he didn't wan to be fired by the footbal coach at OSU.

Plus, Butch is showing that Cheek hasn't necessarily been the problem. Terrible coaching hires by the previous AD have been the problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cheek trying to turn our primary public university in this area into an exclusive institution? The problem I have with that is that UT's mission statement is to service the higher education needs of the people of East Tennessee, and now it's increasingly drawing students from out of state as the standards are out of reach of more and more East Tennessee new high school graduates.

This is how I understood his actions and efforts, correct me if I'm wrong.

So, you want a leader who purposefully shoots for mediocrity? I honestly cannot believe I just read that. SMH!

He is responsible for the decline of our football program in several different ways. He removed some courses that helped recruits meet academic requirements, he took huge amounts of cash out to fund his stupid pet projects which he only stopped when Hart went around him directly to the Board of Trustees, he didn't stop taking those millions from the football program because he is a nice guy he only did it because the BOT forced him to. Then afterwards he and his cronies said that the University would never again help out the Athletic Dept financially.
He is the reason we couldn't afford or find a decent coach, it was known all around the country that he was prohibiting the AD from functioning competitively. He is the reason our Athletic Dept only had 3 million in reserve funds when Alabama and Auburn and others in the SEC have 70 million plus. He is the reason that Dave Hart is not only the Athletic Director but also a vice Chancellor. This is so Dave Hart can now tell Cheeks to go screw himself when it comes to the Athletic Dept.

Cheeks took control of the AD in 2009 i think it was everyone blames Hamilton but Cheeks was in control. Cheeks is the "internal problem" that CPF and Hart and everyone talked about a couple years ago before the BOT meeting.

All if this is public record if you do a little research but I followed it closely back when the BOT meeting was happening. I could go on but you get the idea.

All of this is fiction. Mike Hamilton was responsible for the program's demise (terrible hires, Buyout U...hello?) Cheek has only been here since '09 - well clear of the Fulmer Cup, Wyoming, Kiffin's shenanigans, and 4 presidents in 6 years. Cheek stopped the multi-million yearly athletic dept gift to academics (that started with Andy Holt) because of the debt situation he inherited.

Your claim that Hart was given the title Vice Chancellor in order to be on equal footing with Cheek is equally ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
So, you want a leader who purposefully shoots for mediocrity? I honestly cannot believe I just read that. SMH!

I don't think that's what he was saying. Like I posted earlier, if raising the standards draws in out of state grads who come here, get a degree, and stay in Tennessee to use that degree once they get jobs, then obviously raising the bar at UT is a great thing for the area and should be commended. If they just spend four years here getting a degree and then go back home, or somewhere else to get jobs upon graduation, while forcing SLIGHTLY less qualified local students into a sub-standard education, then I'm not sure that's such a great vision for the university.

I'll add that I have no idea about any kind of data on where UT grads end up after they graduate. I'd certainly be interested to see it though.

I don't think that's what he was saying. Like I posted earlier, if raising the standards draws in out of state grads who come here, get a degree, and stay in Tennessee to use that degree once they get jobs, then obviously raising the bar at UT is a great thing for the area and should be commended. If they just spend four years here getting a degree and then go back home, or somewhere else to get jobs upon graduation, while forcing SLIGHTLY less qualified local students into a sub-standard education, then I'm not sure that's such a great vision for the university.

I'll add that I have no idea about any kind of data on where UT grads end up after they graduate. I'd certainly be interested to see it though.

Why did any of that matter? I was a local kid who went kindergarten thru college in Knoxville. Once I graduated I left and haven't lived in Knoxville since. Plenty of others I know did the same. How is that any different than an out of state student doing the same?

Why did any of that matter? I was a local kid who went kindergarten thru college in Knoxville. Once I graduated I left and haven't lived in Knoxville since. Plenty of others I know did the same. How is that any different than an out of state student doing the same?

It just seems to me that there's a least a better chance of someone who grew up here at least trying to stay around once they've gotten a degree from UT. Obviously, like you said, there are also going to be plenty who don't.

I'm not trying to argue that we should be letting any and all TN kids into the school either. It just seems like things have gotten to the point that attending the state university is now an unattainable goal for a lot of smart students here in TN.

It just seems like things have gotten to the point that attending the state university is now an unattainable goal for a lot of smart students here in TN.

No it's not unless you lower the bar on what you consider smart. The instate kids also have the advantage of getting money. Plenty of other options if they don't have the grades/scores to get into UT.

No it's not unless you lower the bar on what you consider smart. The instate kids also have the advantage of getting money. Plenty of other options if they don't have the grades/scores to get into UT.

Things have just changed really fast I suppose. It's kind of mind blowing to me that in-state HS graduates who score in the mid-upper 20's on the ACT may not necessarily be state school material anymore. With just about everyone attending at least some sort of college/university at this point, I guess the standards getting so tough was just going to come with the territory.

Students have more resources available to them to prepare them for the ACT than a lot of people had in the past. I think a lot of people are basing that ACT score on what they've scored in the past but you have a lot of resources available to you if you want to get that score. Also average doesn't equal the bottom threshold for getting in.

"Booger eating piece of trash" really lends a lot of credence to your statement.

I'm guessing by "followed it closely" you read the cliff notes version that was posted on VN...because that's basically what you posted.

Is there truth in it? Bits and pieces, but there's also a ton of flat out misinformation and spin to fit certain agendas.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people (both AD and non-AD) that aren't Cheek fans at UT, but that whole little saga is a lot of message board/call in show drama wrapped around the real issue.

Last edited:
Students have more resources available to them to prepare them for the ACT than a lot of people had in the past. I think a lot of people are basing that ACT score on what they've scored in the past but you have a lot of resources available to you if you want to get that score. Also average doesn't equal the bottom threshold for getting in.

Good point. I hadn't even really considered that.

To your point, I came to UT from outside US, and I wanted to stay in East Tennessee, but no one was ready to give me a job even though I had a masters from a really good engineering program at UT. South Carolina offered me a job, and now I am here. So, I think it also has to do with job opportunities in east Tennessee for outsiders. I am pretty sure kids will love to stay in east Tennessee!!! I would have!

Sometimes I think some fans truly believe the university exists solely for athletics.

That is probably very much correct.
Most of all Fanz of any University didn't graduate from the Program they support and probably didn't graduate from College!

The Cheeks of the world used to Fight tooth and nail all Athletic Depts.. They now need the money it generates and are on board with 8M dollar coaches salaries, increased recruiting budgets, etc. as long as W's and money comes with it.

To your point, I came to UT from outside US, and I wanted to stay in East Tennessee, but no one was ready to give me a job even though I had a masters from a really good engineering program at UT. South Carolina offered me a job, and now I am here. So, I think it also has to do with job opportunities in east Tennessee for outsiders. I am pretty sure kids will love to stay in east Tennessee!!! I would have!

I love Knoxville and the area, but when I graduated there wasn't a good enough job for me there. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

It's been a few years so I'm not sure of all the details. It was a razor thin margin on them not getting in.

The positives are that they loved their time at UTC and are successful today. Amazing, with them being such morons that couldn't get into UT. Also they made room for some out of state nerds to get their education at a great institution.

It's not like UT-Chatt is a bad school either. You can get a great education there.

It just seems to me that there's a least a better chance of someone who grew up here at least trying to stay around once they've gotten a degree from UT. Obviously, like you said, there are also going to be plenty who don't.

I'm not trying to argue that we should be letting any and all TN kids into the school either. It just seems like things have gotten to the point that attending the state university is now an unattainable goal for a lot of smart students here in TN.

So many people misunderstand this issue. The solution isn't getting people who "want to stay" in Tennessee. The solution is for Tennesee to provide jobs that make the graduates stay there.

For example. I have an engineering degree from UT. I was an out of state student, but absolutely loved Tennessee and married a Tennessee girl. At graduation time, engineering jobs in Tennessee were few and far between. So, I ended up getting a great job elsewhere and we moved. And it wasn't back to my home state, because there weren't a lot of opportunities there, either.

Graduates go where the jobs are. Pure and simple.

So many people misunderstand this issue. The solution isn't getting people who "want to stay" in Tennessee. The solution is for Tennesee to provide jobs that make the graduates stay there.

For example. I have an engineering degree from UT. I was an out of state student, but absolutely loved Tennessee and married a Tennessee girl. At graduation time, engineering jobs in Tennessee were few and far between. So, I ended up getting a great job elsewhere and we moved. And it wasn't back to my home state, because there weren't a lot of opportunities there, either.

Graduates go where the jobs are. Pure and simple.
Truth. The problem is Tennessee and to a greater extent Knoxville have been terrible at attracting high paying jobs. Blame also lies on our advocates in the House and Senate.

What I don't know is how UT is at helping place its best students. I know Auburn has an excellent engineering and construction management program, and has established relationships with Contractors in Georgia and Alabama.

VN Store

Back