I have always heard people talk about Jimmy Cheek

Serious question, what exactly has he done that has raised the ire of so many UT fans? The kids who didn't make in the last few years were pretty much all clearinghouse cases. So, I'm totally lost as to why he gets so much hate.

Haters don't like to mix football with readin', writin', and cipherin'.

you guys miss the point. this conversation was at a pep rally - in jacksonville. an event celebrating the football program. he most definitely should have been willing to talk football and put academics on hold while mingling at this particular event.

Reactions: 2 people
you guys miss the point. this conversation was at a pep rally - in jacksonville. an event celebrating the football program. he most definitely should have been willing to talk football and put academics on hold while mingling at this particular event.

He doesn't have to do anything. He's proud that the student athletes are behaving more like students since CBJ got here.

He doesn't have to do anything. He's proud that the student athletes are behaving more like students since CBJ got here.

no. he doesnt have to do anything. but it would be in his best interest to show that he knows where he is and is aware of his surroundings if he wants to appear to be a competent employee of the state. he wasnt in jacksonville to watch the quiz bowl team. common sense,fella.

and his obsession with academics. I found out first hand at the UT Pep Rally at Jacksonville Landing. I spoke with him for probably 10 minutes about the football team and Butch Jones. Every time (and I do mean EVERY time) I would talk about our on field or recruiting success, he would mention academics. Don't get me wrong, I am proud that we are getting better academically, but seriously, academics is all he wanted to talk about. Sorry if this is a "cool story bro."

how many times did he pick his nose during the conversation

Reactions: 1 person
Serious question, what exactly has he done that has raised the ire of so many UT fans? The kids who didn't make in the last few years were pretty much all clearinghouse cases. So, I'm totally lost as to why he gets so much hate.

I think most of us expect way too much out of a guy from academia.

no. he doesnt have to do anything. but it would be in his best interest to show that he knows where he is and is aware of his surroundings if he wants to appear to be a competent employee of the state. he wasnt in jacksonville to watch the quiz bowl team. common sense,fella.

And he didn't talk about the quiz bowl. He talked about how we're getting better academically, with which UT was in serious trouble. In danger of losing scholarships levels of sub-par academics with our football team.

If you want a conversation about athletics, talk to the athletic director. Cheek will always relate things back to academics, since it's his job. I highly doubt he was walking around touting our nuclear engineering department, but was relating the conversation to something he knows more about that still relates to the team.

Was that after he beat your @$$ in basketball?

wtf? does that even make sense?

Hope he washed his hands.

he was wearing gloves or I would have declined

Did you check between the pancakes for boogers?

i strategically selected the pancakes in the middle that were not exposed. they were clear

during finals weeks, sometimes they have administration give food to the students in the library and he was the guy serving in the line I got in

A university that can still exist without a football team.

UT is still a place of higher learning first and his responsibility is to raise that as best he can
You did notice he said they were at a pep rally at a football bowl game, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cheek trying to turn our primary public university in this area into an exclusive institution? The problem I have with that is that UT's mission statement is to service the higher education needs of the people of East Tennessee, and now it's increasingly drawing students from out of state as the standards are out of reach of more and more East Tennessee new high school graduates.

This is how I understood his actions and efforts, correct me if I'm wrong.

He is responsible for the decline of our football program in several different ways. He removed some courses that helped recruits meet academic requirements, he took huge amounts of cash out to fund his stupid pet projects which he only stopped when Hart went around him directly to the Board of Trustees, he didn't stop taking those millions from the football program because he is a nice guy he only did it because the BOT forced him to. Then afterwards he and his cronies said that the University would never again help out the Athletic Dept financially.
He is the reason we couldn't afford or find a decent coach, it was known all around the country that he was prohibiting the AD from functioning competitively. He is the reason our Athletic Dept only had 3 million in reserve funds when Alabama and Auburn and others in the SEC have 70 million plus. He is the reason that Dave Hart is not only the Athletic Director but also a vice Chancellor. This is so Dave Hart can now tell Cheeks to go screw himself when it comes to the Athletic Dept.

Cheeks took control of the AD in 2009 i think it was everyone blames Hamilton but Cheeks was in control. Cheeks is the "internal problem" that CPF and Hart and everyone talked about a couple years ago before the BOT meeting.

All if this is public record if you do a little research but I followed it closely back when the BOT meeting was happening. I could go on but you get the idea.

I personally despise the booger eating piece of trash.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I worked at a mid-sized university that happened to have an 11-0 team a few years back which obviously generated a lot of buzz. In every scenario I witnessed, in large venue or small setting, when football came up the President overtly changed the topic to academics. Yes, their job is to take care of the university, which is mostly academics, but I think it's also an ego thing. They don't get credit for what happens on the field but they sure look good when the school or a program is ranked. It's like their bowl game.

I worked at a mid-sized university that happened to have an 11-0 team a few years back which obviously generated a lot of buzz. In every scenario I witnessed, in large venue or small setting, when football came up the President overtly changed the topic to academics. Yes, their job is to take care of the university, which is mostly academics, but I think it's also an ego thing. They don't get credit for what happens on the field but they sure look good when the school or a program is ranked. It's like their bowl game.

I think that's a fair assessment. University Presidents come from academia and are a different breed.

99.9% of the athletes build their careers on their education not on their prowess on the football field or basketball court. Jimmy Cheek and these coaches get that!!!!

He is responsible for the decline of our football program in several different ways. He removed some courses that helped recruits meet academic requirements, he took huge amounts of cash out to fund his stupid pet projects which he only stopped when Hart went around him directly to the Board of Trustees, he didn't stop taking those millions from the football program because he is a nice guy he only did it because the BOT forced him to. Then afterwards he and his cronies said that the University would never again help out the Athletic Dept financially.
He is the reason we couldn't afford or find a decent coach, it was known all around the country that he was prohibiting the AD from functioning competitively. He is the reason our Athletic Dept only had 3 million in reserve funds when Alabama and Auburn and others in the SEC have 70 million plus. He is the reason that Dave Hart is not only the Athletic Director but also a vice Chancellor. This is so Dave Hart can now tell Cheeks to go screw himself when it comes to the Athletic Dept.

Cheeks took control of the AD back before Fulmar was fired and then did everything he could to run it into the ground. Everyone blames Hamilton but Cheeks was in control. Cheeks is the "internal problem" that CPF and Hart and everyone talked about a couple years ago before the BOT meeting.

All if this is public record if you do a little research but I followed it closely back when the BOT meeting was happening. I could go on but you get the idea.

Thank you for summing this up. Preach on!

Cheek told me that the average ACT score for incoming freshmen at UT is a 28.

That's a pretty sobering number to me. When I graduated HS in 2002 I had a 28 on the ACT with a 3.0 GPA. At the time it was beyond laughable for me to think I wouldn't get accepted to UT. Now, my grades coupled with only an "average" ACT score would almost certainly keep me out. Kind of hard to believe they've raised the requirements so much so quickly.

Cheek told me that the average ACT score for incoming freshmen at UT is a 28.

Yep and the problem with that is there are a lot of students that can't get in because they raised the minimum acceptance score. I personally know 1 would be 3rd generation UT student and 2 2nd generation students that didn't get in. They went to UTC instead. They are smart kids and will be successful regardless. What sucks is that they bleed orange and would love to be at UT like their fathers and grandfathers.

Cheeks took control of the AD back before Fulmar was fired and then did everything he could to run it into the ground. Everyone blames Hamilton but Cheeks was in control. Cheeks is the "internal problem" that CPF and Hart and everyone talked about a couple years ago before the BOT meeting.

I honestly have no recollection of this. I remember at one point the AD stopped giving it's annual amount back to the academic side because of a decline in revenue, but I don't recall Cheek, or anyone robbing the AD of money it needed and reassigning it to academic projects like you are claiming.

Yep and the problem with that is there are a lot of students that can't get in because they raised the minimum acceptance score. I personally know 1 would be 3rd generation UT student and 2 2nd generation students that didn't get in. They went to UTC instead. They are smart kids and will be successful regardless. What sucks is that they bleed orange and would love to be at UT like their fathers and grandfathers.

This is kind of my rub with the whole philosophy as well. I know having a great academic university benefits the area as whole, but I just not sure turning away smart in-state kids in favor of slightly more qualified out of state ones should be the goal of the state university.

So do better in school if you want to get in.

UT accepts the better students because they want to become a top 25 university. You don't do that by accepting generations of 2.5 GPA students that make a sub-28 ACT score.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back