I am an anarchist - ask me anything.

I have to go for the night. I'll be back later to deal with unanswered and future questions and go back through what I missed.

You act as though the boss does nothing. The boss strategically grows the business and thus protects the workers jobs, creates opportunity for advancement, and employs more people. It quite evident that you are still in college. I suggest trying to be a professor. Academia is full of people who have no clue how business works and why the "boss" exists. They think the "boss" just sits around all day. Most "bosses" work more then those who report to them.

[blue]C'mon dawg, we work hard all day so boss can sit around be lazy. We need some of his salary.[/blue]

Typical of somebody with no ambition and absolutely no clue of how businesses operate. There is nothing holding one back from being an entepernuer other than ones self. Everything else is just an excuse.

Capitalism is inherently hierarchical. I have trouble seeing how it could fit an anarchist worldview.

Capitalism may be hierarchical in some forms, but hierarchy is not a necessary condition for capitalism. I suspect that hierarchy in capitalism would be very rare if there wasn't government cronyism involved with the supposed free market.

Reactions: 2 people
Capitalism may be hierarchical in some forms, but hierarchy is not a necessary condition for capitalism. I suspect that hierarchy in capitalism would be very rare if there wasn't government cronyism involved with the supposed free market.
Without a government to bribe, you can increase power-mongering efficiency and just increase the size of one's personal army.

Without a government to bribe, you can increase power-mongering efficiency and just increase the size of one's personal army.

More likely: without government promoting monopolies of industry via lobbyists and corrupt committees passing favorable laws for their "friends", the free market would disallow a majority of power-mongering and would bring a stasis that resulted in more choice and less expensive goods.

More likely: without government promoting monopolies of industry via lobbyists and corrupt committees passing favorable laws for their "friends", the free market would disallow a majority of power-mongering and would bring a stasis that resulted in more choice and less expensive goods.

But if you throw anarchy into the equation, you just kill your competition with no penalty.

Reactions: 1 person
I actually put in a similar thread that if we were discussing this type of society with Vulcans you could probably make it work. I simply believe it impossible with humans. (or at least anything remotely resembling humans as we are now)

I thought this might be an interesting thread to have, since I'm probably the only one here. I won't respond to insults in this thread, so try to keep it polite. :hi:

explain it to me. I find the general idea of anarchism laughable and doomed to failure. explain what your version is and how it, or any other, works in the real world. don't bring me that "well if we flipped a switch tomorrow" thing.

A couple of points. One, achieving anarchism requires a largely anarchist population, meaning that population would not be opposed to the redistribution of wealth. Two, wealth can reasonably be taken by force from the elite if necessary. Because they are responsible for the exploitation of millions of people, it is justified.

ok i am playing catch up so forgive me if this has been talked about before. whats stopping the rich from stopping you? how do you get your group of people to work together besides as a mob attitude "get that guy, get that guy". what happens in this society? do we go back to farming? are we still industrialized/modernized? i can kinda see how a bunch of farmers can be a relatively level playing field but in the modern age it doesn't equate. even if we were all farmers there will be rich and poor ones. if i am doing moderately well suddenly i become a target. how do you progress as a society? by being the most equal, which just means the lowest common denominator?

For most people yes, they do own all of their private property. This mostly applies to big businesses and whatnot. No, it wouldn't be a free-for-all. Resources would be collectively owned and managed. Organizational decisions would be made democratically by the community.

I know I'm reading this late, but I have two questions about this and I never saw any clarification:

1. How is this not run-of-the-mill Communism? Collectively owned resources managed by a democratically elected organizational structure doesn't sound like any definition of anarchism I've ever seen or heard. Electing an organization to ration collectively owned resources is electing a government, is it not?

2. Given that resources are inevitably limited and finite, what would prevent 51% of the population from banding together to vote the remaining 49% out of the pool? Since the pie will never get any bigger, what's to stop the 51% from deciding that they want bigger slices?

The workplace would be run by the workers. You'd either be able to choose when your work or it would be determined democratically within the workplace. I'd imagine such rules would be very lenient, though. You could reasonably take breaks as needed. No one could stop you.

For most people yes, they do own all of their private property. This mostly applies to big businesses and whatnot. No, it wouldn't be a free-for-all. Resources would be collectively owned and managed. Organizational decisions would be made democratically by the community.

did i miss the part where democracy wasn't a form of government anymore? (still playing catch up forgive if this is a repeat of someone else)

VN Store

Back