I-85 Collapse In Atlanta

yeah, coming back late on Tuesday night and I'm going thru Atl. My guess is we leave Augusta about 6 putting me in Atl around 8 so traffic should be less. I'll check WAZE to see if I should take 285 or go straight in and take 75n

Closer to 2 1/2 from Augusta to Atlanta.

Post travel recap. As mentioned we went thru Knoxville to get there. Left Nashville about 10:30a cdt and had rainy weather plus some construction so it took a little longer than normal to get to Knoxville. Ended up in Augusta about 7:30p. Best thing was we were on the northern edge of the storm from Knoxville to Augusta so that helped. Beautiful drive from Spartanburg to Augusta.

Coming back we went thru Atl. Ok, ok.... yes it was a breeze (kinda). Once past 285 on east side the traffic was nothing. Everything was running great until I was in the far left HOV lane that said "I75 North HOV". Out of no where I realize I need to be over in the far right lanes. Ended up on 85 and had to detour off and backtrack to get on 75. After that it was easy breasy. One thing I saw was there was construction on 75s just north of town so I'm glad I went the Knoxville way to get there.

Post travel recap. As mentioned we went thru Knoxville to get there. Left Nashville about 10:30a cdt and had rainy weather plus some construction so it took a little longer than normal to get to Knoxville. Ended up in Augusta about 7:30p. Best thing was we were on the northern edge of the storm from Knoxville to Augusta so that helped. Beautiful drive from Spartanburg to Augusta.

Coming back we went thru Atl. Ok, ok.... yes it was a breeze (kinda). Once past 285 on east side the traffic was nothing. Everything was running great until I was in the far left HOV lane that said "I75 North HOV". Out of no where I realize I need to be over in the far right lanes. Ended up on 85 and had to detour off and backtrack to get on 75. After that it was easy breasy. One thing I saw was there was construction on 75s just north of town so I'm glad I went the Knoxville way to get there.

Hate to tell you this :) but if you had stayed in the HOV lane, it had its own ramp directly to I-75, but it's kind of confusing the first time you go through there with HOV going left and the 3 regular exit lanes going right.

Hate to tell you this :) but if you had stayed in the HOV lane, it had its own ramp directly to I-75, but it's kind of confusing the first time you go through there with HOV going left and the 3 regular exit lanes going right.

yup

What time did you go through Atlanta?

The road work being done in Atlanta right now is pretty darn amazing. The new bridges and hov lane work heading down 75 is incredible.

Construction all around Atlanta is crazy now days. Companies down there must be making a fortune.

And then they squeeze in a quick repair of 85.

Glad I don't live around there, but it's neat to see while visiting or passing through.

....and 6 weeks later, they've rebuilt the whole thing a month ahead of schedule. Amazing.

....and 6 weeks later, they've rebuilt the whole thing a month ahead of schedule. Amazing.

Is it really amazing or does it just show us all how voluntarily slowly they choose to do road/construction work around the US?

Reactions: 3 people
Is it really amazing or does it just show us all how voluntarily slowly they choose to do road/construction work around the US?

At the time of the collapse first happening, I meant to post a few videos I saw on youtube where the Chinese are able to build highways in a fraction of the time that we do it normally here.

At the time of the collapse first happening, I meant to post a few videos I saw on youtube where the Chinese are able to build highways in a fraction of the time that we do it normally here.

while I generally agree they waste a lot of time this is a special case. I guarantee they had to buy someone's slot with the concrete fabricator and I bet they had to add a lot of chemicals to the concrete to get it to cure. both of which are expensive.

Need to get those guys to work on the intersection of Emory Road and Maynardville Highway, or I-640 at Broadway. It takes road crews around here forever to get anything done.

So they built this section faster than you can upload videos of the Chinese building ****.

Last edited:
Need to get those guys to work on the intersection of Emory Road and Maynardville Highway, or I-640 at Broadway. It takes road crews around here forever to get anything done.

IMO Emory Road/Maynardville Hwy was designed by an idiot...and he suits his employer well since the whole job has been a disgrace. The Norris Freeway is awful too. Ever tried to make a turn onto Norris going southbound on Maynardville?

Now whoever is doing the job on north is good. We travel that road frequently and have been impressed.

The Chinese have 8000 workers they can throw at it making $1.25 a day. We have a bunch of people making $30 an hour working for the government.
American road workers also seem to be paid by the piles of dirt they can move from one hole to next.

IMO Emory Road/Maynardville Hwy was designed by an idiot...and he suits his employer well since the whole job has been a disgrace. The Norris Freeway is awful too. Ever tried to make a turn onto Norris going southbound on Maynardville?

Now whoever is doing the job on north is good. We travel that road frequently and have been impressed.

Agree with you on the design. They've done all that work to the road and it really isn't going to alleviate anything. It will still be a cluster at both locations. They've just added more stoplights to bog it down even more. Not to mention, it should have been a 6 month project but it's been dragging on for what seems a couple of years.

VN Store

Back