I-85 Collapse In Atlanta

Never underestimate the power of the people. I noticed there was a hoe ram breaking up concrete already. I give it two weeks before the road is open again.

Not with the materials needed. I'd be shocked if that occurred. The beams will have to be ordered and made too.

Never underestimate the power of the people. I noticed there was a hoe ram breaking up concrete already. I give it two weeks before the road is open again.

They have to replace both the northbound and southbound spans with pillars. Project to take a couple months.

Something on a slightly larger scale happened in California. They paid the contractor a 200,000 a day incentive to finish work early. The repair was completed in just under a month.

Something on a slightly larger scale happened in California. They paid the contractor a 200,000 a day incentive to finish work early. The repair was completed in just under a month.

look for it to fall down again -- cheap labor and products

look for it to fall down again -- cheap labor and products
The interstate systems fall under federal authority. There are stringent guidelines and inspections. Unless there is another devastating earthquake it wll be up for centuries.

Once they repair this won't they pretty much be opening up the interstate before the concrete is completely cured? I thought it takes something like at least 30 days to cure concrete, even more the thicker it gets.

Once they repair this won't they pretty much be opening up the interstate before the concrete is completely cured? I thought it takes something like at least 30 days to cure concrete, even more the thicker it gets.

What I am hearing down hear is it will be down for 6 months

It completely closed down one of the busiest roads in America. There are 3 ways out of Atlanta going north to where the majority of people live in the metro area.... I75, GA400 and I85. And to get to GA 400, you have to go up I85 right past where the road is now closed. The ripple effect of people having to take alternate routes is going to be unbelievable.

For somebody traveling west on I-20 then heading north to Knoxville, will the better option be I-285 or stay on I-20 all the way to I-75? Or is it going to be a cluster on any route taken? Waze was giving the I-20 to I-75 route.

Ok GAVol and all you other Atl Vols........I'm going your way on Monday on the way to Augusta. My initial game plan was to leave out of Nashville 10-11a putting me in Atl about 3-4p your time and I thought about 75s to 285 towards Augusta then take 85 back north and head toward Athens then down to 20 from there. In theory it would get me out of rush hour traffic.

Was that a decent plan or is there another option?

With the collapse does it change my route? I could get off 75 around Cartersville then wind around east towards Athens and I20.

I'm spitballin here cause I really dont want to sit in 285 rush hour traffic

Ok GAVol and all you other Atl Vols........I'm going your way on Monday on the way to Augusta. My initial game plan was to leave out of Nashville 10-11a putting me in Atl about 3-4p your time and I thought about 75s to 285 towards Augusta then take 85 back north and head toward Athens then down to 20 from there. In theory it would get me out of rush hour traffic.

With the collapse does it change my route? I could get off 75 around Cartersville then wind around east towards Athens and I20.

leave 2 hours earlier and just take 285 all the way to 20.

Reactions: 1 person

Yeah, I-285 West to I-20. Don't go anywhere near I-285 East/northern arc (like you would normally).

Reactions: 2 people
My initial game plan was to leave out of Nashville 10-11a putting me in Atl about 3-4p your time and I thought about 75s to 285 towards Augusta then take 85 back north and head toward Athens then down to 20 from there. In theory it would get me out of rush hour traffic.

Just plan on going 75 S to I-20 E. Download the Waze app and watch the traffic. If traffic is bad on the 75/85 connector, go west on 285 toward Birmingham and pick up I-20 E on the west side of town. It won't add more than about 5-7 miles to the trip and traffic will be much lighter on that side of town.

You don't want any part of I-85, 285 East going across the top end perimeter or cross country from Cartersville.

Reactions: 1 person

I like this one better.

17620273_1448926305154053_731119439710798974_o.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
Just plan on going 75 S to I-20 E. Download the Waze app and watch the traffic. If traffic is bad on the 75/85 connector, go west on 285 toward Birmingham and pick up I-20 E on the west side of town. It won't add more than about 5-7 miles to the trip and traffic will be much lighter on that side of town.

You don't want any part of I-85, 285 East going across the top end perimeter or cross country from Cartersville.

Avoid I-285 West if traveling from Augusta to Atlanta to Knoxville as well? Just stay on I-20 West all the way to I-75 North?

Avoid I-285 West if traveling from Augusta to Atlanta to Knoxville as well? Just stay on I-20 West all the way to I-75 North?

I wouldn't be nearly as worried about going in that direction on 285. Same thing though. I'd check Waze and go wherever the traffic isn't.

I wouldn't be nearly as worried about going in that direction on 285. Same thing though. I'd check Waze and go wherever the traffic isn't.

Thanks. Traffic is always heavy Masters week when approaching Atlanta from the east along I-20/I-285. I'm expecting it to be a huge mess this time next Friday night.

I downloaded Waze earlier this week for just such a thing.

The coming from Augusta to Nashville isnt an issue to me. It'll be later in the night but I'll still probably take 285 south of town and up the west side. Its the rush hr I'm the most worried about.

I hadnt thought about taking 285 around the west side. I think I will do that but will check Waze when I get closer to Atl. Thank you Vols for the help.

I downloaded Waze earlier this week for just such a thing.

The coming from Augusta to Nashville isnt an issue to me. It'll be later in the night but I'll still probably take 285 south of town and up the west side. Its the rush hr I'm the most worried about.

I hadnt thought about taking 285 around the west side. I think I will do that but will check Waze when I get closer to Atl. Thank you Vols for the help.

Right now Waze is directing I-20 WB all the way to I-75.

VN Store

Back