NCAA

Consensus All-American (1995)
Heisman Trophy (1995)
Walter Camp Award (1995)
Maxwell Award (1995)
Doak Walker Award (1995)
Jim Brown Award (1995)
Ohio State Buckeyes #27 retired
College Football Hall of Fame inductee (2011)

NFL

1996 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (AP, PFWA, NEA)
4× Pro Bowl (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)
AP First-Team All-Pro (2000)
AP Second-Team All-Pro (1999)
10,000 Rushing Yards Club

I think most people would consider that a "decent" career.

Just because Eddie couldn't beat our Vols doesn't mean he wasn't an outstanding back. I watched Eddie play a bunch of games in the pros. By the end, he had lost a step or two but he was always conditioned and tough. Both he and McNair were as tough of skill players I have ever watched.

While I think some overrate Eddie George(a really good back, not an all-time great though), his YPC isn't really reflective of how good he was. His YPC was punished by the Titans offensive gameplan.

Not just having to carry it a ton over the years, but the situations in how he had to carry it. Eddie George was the Titans offense during the early part of Steve McNair's career. It took McNair several years to develop in to the eventual MVP-caliber QB he became, and George carrying the offense is what allowed him to do that.

There was so much short passing involved in that offense in George's prime that it often came down to 3rd and 1s/3rd and 2s...and on those plays, everyone in that stadium knew who was getting the ball..and the man rarely ever failed to pick up those yards for the first down.

Stopping that man on a power run was nearly impossible. I don't care how man you had in the box, I don't care if you knew exactly where he was going to the ball, I don't care if you even hit him in the backfield. He was going to keep running until he got past that first down marker.

The play at 50 seconds in to this video is a good example how hard this man was to stop on short yardage. Goal line play, running in to a man with 20-30 pounds on him, off balance? No big deal for Eddie.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKqeq7ergBs[/youtube]

Reactions: 1 person
Career highlights and awards

NCAA

Heisman Trophy (1995)
Walter Camp Award (1995)
Maxwell Award (1995)
Doak Walker Award (1995)
Jim Brown Award (1995)

NFL

I think most people would consider that a "decent" career.
But, but....he didn't play in the SEC in general, and at U.T. in particular, therefore he was over rated and not that good. If he had been a Vol with those stats, he would have been grrrreat! Nah, he was a mediocre back and too tall to boot.

I'm going to wait until Hurd gets one carry in college before comparing him to an NFL great. Collegiate fan craziness in high relief--but I hope Hurd proves up to the comparison.

While I think some overrate Eddie George(a really good back, not an all-time great though), his YPC isn't really reflective of how good he was. His YPC was punished by the Titans offensive gameplan.

Not just having to carry it a ton over the years, but the situations in how he had to carry it. Eddie George was the Titans offense during the early part of Steve McNair's career. It took McNair several years to develop in to the eventual MVP-caliber QB he became, and George carrying the offense is what allowed him to do that.

There was so much short passing involved in that offense in George's prime that it often came down to 3rd and 1s/3rd and 2s...and on those plays, everyone in that stadium knew who was getting the ball..and the man rarely ever failed to pick up those yards for the first down.

Stopping that man on a power run was nearly impossible. I don't care how man you had in the box, I don't care if you knew exactly where he was going to the ball, I don't care if you even hit him in the backfield. He was going to keep running until he got past that first down marker.

The play at 50 seconds in to this video is a good example how hard this man was to stop on short yardage. Goal line play, running in to a man with 20-30 pounds on him, off balance? No big deal for Eddie.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKqeq7ergBs[/youtube]

I agree with every single point that you made. However, when the time comes to critique his candidacy for the Hall of Fame, his ypc is the one legitimate "Achilles heel" which can be used against him. Having said that, the Titans basically used Eddie like an old-school fullback. Had he actually played that position and in the era when fullbacks were very prominent in the running game, Eddie's legacy would, in my opinion, have been remembered even more favorably than it currently is. Although he certainly was a faster back, Eddie's size and power running style remind me somewhat of Larry Csonka and John Riggins.

Hurd is the real deal, and comparisons to Eddie George are going to be made ( similar size, running style etc.) . Several Titans fans in the state. George got stronger in the 3rd and 4th quarter wearing defenses down. Can only hope our talented rb's can have the same effect of defenses if given enough touches.

NFL defenders must be really slow then because Eddie George is 25th all-time in rushing yardage and one of only 28 running backs to break 10,000 yards.

Did you ever watch him as an Oiler/Titan? In 9 seasons, he rushed for over 10,000 yards and only finished under 1,000 yards in two seasons. One of which he finished with 939 yards and the other, was his final season with the Cowturds.

To each their own but you make it sound like Hurd should be better than a Heisman winner and should not only go pro, but finish higher than 25th in rushing yardage. Thems some high standards.

The 40 yard dash is one of the most overrated football tests there are. While I admit that it is important as far as really judging how fast a player is it doesn't translate into success. Eddie George was more like a high 4.5 to a mid 4.6 rb. What I think is more important is that short burst or acceleration getting through the hole. But anywho Eddie was a great runningback, awesome vision, great strength. Ray Lewis did own him often though I remember. I think Hurd and George are completely different other than there height. Hurd is a legit 4.3-4.4 guy who is much quicker and faster than George, he isn't as strong as George but he can run by people or run them over. I cant honestly remember another rb like him I believe Adrian Peterson is more similar to him than George.

Purely in terms of body type, size and running style, the current version of Jalen Hurd has also been compared by some to Marcus Allen and, even more appropriately, to Eric Dickerson. The big question, of course, is just how much weight Jalen will put on over the course of his college career. As an incoming freshman, Jalen is already listed at 227 pounds. When all is said and done, he still may ultimately resemble a speedier version of Eddie George more than any of the above.

Purely in terms of body type, size and running style, the current version of Jalen Hurd has also been compared by some to Marcus Allen and, even more appropriately, to Eric Dickerson. The big question, of course, is just how much weight Jalen will put on over the course of his college career. As an incoming freshman, Jalen is already listed at 227 pounds. When all is said and done, he still may ultimately resemble a speedier version of Eddie George more than any of the above.

I hope Jalen is much more Dickerson than George....all-time great vs good, solid nfl RB.

NCAA

Heisman Trophy (1995)
Walter Camp Award (1995)
Maxwell Award (1995)
Doak Walker Award (1995)
Jim Brown Award (1995)

NFL
Pretty decent no doubt. However, this is who I hope Hurd becomes. There are some similarities as well.
Eric Dickerson
No. 29
Running Back
Personal information
Date of birth: September 2, 1960 (age 53) Place of birth: Sealy, Texas Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)
Career information
College: Southern Methodist NFL Draft: 1983 / Round: 1 / Pick: 2 Debuted in 1983 for the Los Angeles Rams Last played in 1993 for the Atlanta Falcons
Career history

Records

• NFL Record 2,105 Rushing Yards in a Single Season
Career NFL statistics
Rushing yards 13,259 Rushing average 4.4 Rushing TDs 90 Stats at NFL.com Pro Football Hall of Fame

I think most people would consider that more than a "decent" career.

Dickerson did not have the career with one team that George did and George was a better teammate and team player. So, if Hurd can put up Dickerson numbers with George's personality then he will be special. Dickerson was not a great Colt as Unitas and Peyton but he made them better for awhile.

From a longtime Colts fan to all the long suffering Titans fans, it seems that no matter how decent a season or player the Titans have the Colts have been better. I was so surprised that in the season that was the Colts worst in a decade they still beat the Titans. In fact, I was afraid that win would knock them out of the first pick for Andrew Luck. Fortunately, it did not.

So, Hurd probably doesn't remember Dickerson, but if he puts up the same numbers TN will have some championships.

Last edited:
I felt like Eddie fumbled too much. But maybe that's because he ran the ball a 100 times a game.. lol

I hope Jalen is much more Dickerson than George....all-time great vs good, solid nfl RB.

No one here has been saying Eddie is a hall of fame caliber back.

But you're trying to portray George as merely average with your words: "solid nfl RB", "serviceable" and "pretty good".

How ridiculous.

"Serviceable" guys don't run for 10,000 yards.

You're raising the ire of Titan and closet tOSU fans KB....:clap:

Haha, yeah, it appears so there Butchy. Wasn't my intention, just giving my honest opinion. Perhaps it's just my preference for quick, explosive, slashing, dynamic RBs like Dickerson over slow, plodding RBs..... oops, I think I did it again. 😬

Reactions: 2 people

But you're trying to portray George as merely average with your words: "solid nfl RB", "serviceable" and "pretty good".

How ridiculous.

Corey Dillon, Warrick Dunn, Steven Jackson,RICKY WATTERS, THOMAS JONES, TIKI BARBER, Ottis Anderson and Ricky Williams?...nobody just " pretty good" in that bunch?...several perseverance award winners included on that list...one played with a marijuana inhaler. :cool2:

Corey Dillon, Warrick Dunn, Steven Jackson,RICKY WATTERS, THOMAS JONES, TIKI BARBER, Ottis Anderson and Ricky Williams?...nobody just " pretty good" in that bunch?...several perseverance award winners included on that list...one played with a marijuana inhaler. :cool2:

All the players you mention had longer careers than George, extra stat padding years. Even still, all of these guys were way above average backs for a career.

But, none mentioned were as dominant in their first 5 years as George. He is one of only 8 players to rush for 1000 yards in his first 5 seasons. His production fell off at age 28, which is typical for the position.

Anyway, I am a Titans fan as well, and believe George deserves better than to be defined as "pretty good".

How ridiculous.

They do if they get nearly 3000 carries. Averaging 3.6 yards per carry is damn near the definition of serviceable and nothing more.

How is it ridiculous to call a back who ran for 10,000 yds in the NFL solid and serviceable? He gets high marks for being tough, reliable and durable. He was a workhorse and great team leader but his body of work keeps him from getting any hall of fame consideration.... and "great" RBs wind up in the hall of fame.

Last edited:
"great" RBs wind up in the hall of fame.

Only 5 RB who have played in the last 20 years have made it into the HOF. I would have thought there were more than 5 "great" RB's in that span, but by your reasoning, no?

Eddie George, Jerome Bettis, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander?

Just ok, "solid", serviceable" guys, nothing special.

Right.:eek:lol:

Only 5 RB who have played in the last 20 years have made it into the HOF. I would have thought there were more than 5 "great" RB's in that span, but by your reasoning, no?

Eddie George, Jerome Bettis, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander?

Just ok, "solid", serviceable" guys, nothing special.

Right.:eek:lol:

So in your rating system is there a category between "great" and "very good"? :huh:

What exactly in his body of work or the way he played the game, was unimpressive to you?

Well, lets see... With the exception of one goal line TD he was easy to take down. Never really had a break out year worth mentioning. Wasn't really fast or quick-especially after his second year in the league. After his second year he ran to get tackled-like Houston and Riggs did during their time here. He wasn't what I woukd call solid in that he would look for the pile, stick it in there though and fall foward. Those are things that are unimpressive to me.

VN Store

Back