Hurd evokes memories of Titans great

George was very accomplished yet not a great Runningback. There's a reason why he'll be one of the only, if not THE only RB in NFL history to rush for 10,000 and never even get a sniff at the NFL hall of fame. Was rarely if ever impressed by Eddie. You know a hall of famer, an all-time great when you see him - Brown, Payton, Sanders, Petersen, etc - and, IMHO, George was not in their league.

Any Vol fan would be lying if they said they wouldn't be happy if Hurd accomplished what George did.

Reactions: 3 people
George was very accomplished yet not a great Runningback. There's a reason why he'll be one of the only, if not THE only RB in NFL history to rush for 10,000 and never even get a sniff at the NFL hall of fame. Was rarely if ever impressed by Eddie. You know a hall of famer, an all-time great when you see him - Brown, Payton, Sanders, Petersen, etc - and, IMHO, George was not in their league.

So don't compare him to those guys...compare him to other HOF'ers like Franco Harris, Curtis Martin and Thurman Thomas. They got to the HOF but no, none of them were "Brown, Payton, Sanders, Peterson, etc" either. It's a lot closer when you do that.

The Heisman and several dominant seasons in the NFL disagree with your opinion.

4.1, 3.9, 3.7, 4.1, 3.7, 3.0, 3.4, 3.3, 3.3 ...... those are George's career season yards per carry averages. He was a good back, a serviceable eat up the clock/3 yards and a cloud of dust back. But was definitely overhyped IMHO.

Reactions: 4 people
So don't compare him to those guys...compare him to other HOF'ers like Franco Harris, Curtis Martin and Thurman Thomas. They got to the HOF but no, none of them were "Brown, Payton, Sanders, Peterson, etc" either. It's a lot closer when you do that.

I listed some all-time great hall of gamers that came to mind and as I said, he wasn't their league. I'd take Martin and Thomas over him in a heartbeat. Franco Harris is an excellent comparison.... both big backs with low yards per carry averages who went to the ground way to easily.

You guys who are bashing Eddie George are just blind, guy was a great back. So what he had one bad game against us, honestly it was more like one bad play. He had around a hundred yards and a TD so it wasnt like he didnt show up.

Im not his biggest fan and I dont like tOSU but I can identify a pretty good RB when I see one.

You guys who are bashing Eddie George are just blind, guy was a great back. So what he had one bad game against us, honestly it was more like one bad play. He had around a hundred yards and a TD so it wasnt like he didnt show up.

Im not his biggest fan and I dont like tOSU but I can identify a pretty good RB when I see one.

I saw George play very, very little in college. I'm basing my judgment of him on watching him every single Sunday for 7-8 years in the NFL. He was good, serviceable, at times very effective, especially late in games. He was nowhere near a great nfl RB IMO. Like you said, "pretty good".

Reactions: 1 person
I saw George play very, very little in college. I'm basing my judgment of him on watching him every single Sunday for 7-8 years in the NFL. He was good, serviceable, at times very effective, especially late in games. He was nowhere near a great nfl RB IMO. Like you said, "pretty good".

Serviceable, pretty good, durable as he11...thats what I remember about em too.

I've been comparing him to Eddie George since he first committed...

Tall, strong, fast, and has an upright running style that the coaching staff needs to leave alone.

His vision with that upright style is an asset.

I've been comparing him to Eddie George since he first committed...

Tall, strong, fast, and has an upright running style that the coaching staff needs to leave alone.

His vision with that upright style is an asset.

I think Hurd is a quicker, faster, more explosive athlete than Eddie.

I think Hurd is a quicker, faster, more explosive athlete than Eddie.

He's much quicker. Not so sure about faster or more explosive. Eddie had great top end speed and was as explosive as they come at the point of attack.

They have the same exact build and running style.

I love that upright running style. You're more prone to upper body injuries, but you make up for it with vision. Add to that the height and you have a huge advantage.

He's much quicker. Not so sure about faster or more explosive. Eddie had great top end speed and was as explosive as they come at the point of attack.

They have the same exact build and running style.

I love that upright running style. You're more prone to upper body injuries, but you make up for it with vision. Add to that the height and you have a huge advantage.

Jalen's been laser timed at 4.37. Eddie was a 4.5 guy.

4.1, 3.9, 3.7, 4.1, 3.7, 3.0, 3.4, 3.3, 3.3 ...... those are George's career season yards per carry averages. He was a good back, a serviceable eat up the clock/3 yards and a cloud of dust back. But was definitely overhyped IMHO.

If I were a Hall of Fame voter, this is the one stat that would make me seriously question whether George deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. A career 3.6 yards-per-carry average is awfully low for inclusion in the all-time greats category. On the other hand, John Riggins made it into the Hall of Fame with only a 3.9 ypc average.

Incidentally, did George sustain a leg injury of any kind early in his NFL career? Looking at his career stats, he had a 76-yard run in his rookie season, a 40-yarder in 1999 and, after the latter year, no run longer than 35 yards.

Last edited:
Jalen's been laser timed at 4.37. Eddie was a 4.5 guy.

Don't 40 times fall into the "quick" category? It took Eddie awhile to get going, but when he got going it was over.

This thread got me reminiscing. I went back and looked at some pictures of Eddie George as a freshman at OSU.

If I didn't know better I'd think Jalen was Eddie's illegitimate son.

It's gonna be fun to watch.

If I were a Hall of Fame voter, this is the one stat that would make me seriously question whether George deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. A career 3.6 yards-per-carry average is awfully low for inclusion in the all-time greats category. On the other hand, John Riggins made it into the Hall of Fame with only a 3.9 ypc average.

Incidentally, did George sustain a leg injury of any kind early in his career? Looking at his career stats, he had a 76-yard run in his rookie season, a 40-yarder in 1999 and, after the latter year, no run longer than 35 yards.

Turf toe.

He battled it from '01 until he retired.

Don't 40 times fall into the "quick" category? It took Eddie awhile to get going, but when he got going it was over.

This thread got me reminiscing. I went back and looked at some pictures of Eddie George as a freshman at OSU.

If I didn't know better I'd think Jalen was Eddie's illegitimate son.

It's gonna be fun to watch.

I posted those times to address Jalen being faster. We agree that he's quicker, which is a good measure of explosiveness.

Either way, I agree with you about Jalen. He's a beast and if he can stay healthy I think he's gonna do great things. Can't wait to watch.

What I remember about ole' Eddie was when we played tosu in the bowl game and CPF pulled out the soccer cleats and our defense laid the wood the Heisman Trophy winning Eddie George till he cried " No Mas" and pulled himself out of the game because we were making him and tosu look so bad. He almost never got out of the backfield that day. I can not wait till we return to the days of whipping our opponents till they want out of the game. GBO VFL IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!

Selective memory - isn't it great.

Career highlights and awards

NCAA

Consensus All-American (1995)
Heisman Trophy (1995)
Walter Camp Award (1995)
Maxwell Award (1995)
Doak Walker Award (1995)
Jim Brown Award (1995)
Ohio State Buckeyes #27 retired
College Football Hall of Fame inductee (2011)

NFL

1996 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (AP, PFWA, NEA)
4× Pro Bowl (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)
AP First-Team All-Pro (2000)
AP Second-Team All-Pro (1999)
10,000 Rushing Yards Club

I think most people would consider that a "decent" career.

Yea his career was better than jamal Lewis but for some reason the only thing some Vol fans remember is a college bowl game....I pray Hurd is as good as George

Yea his career was better than jamal Lewis but for some reason the only thing some Vol fans remember is a college bowl game....I pray Hurd is as good as George

Better career than Jamal? Really, how do you figure?

Jamal had more yards, a much better yards per carry average, one of the best seasons running the ball in NFL history (2,066 yds), an NFL Offensive player of the year award, and a SuperBowl ring.

Last edited:
Better career than Jamal? Really, how do you figure?

Jamal had more yards, a much better yards per carry average, one of the best seasons running the ball in NFL history (2,066 yds), an NFL Offensive player of the year, and a SuperBowl ring.

Man Lewis had a great career and was an outstanding back. The bad thing about George was the Titans ran him till the wheels came off. He had 1 season with over 400 rushes and never missed a start. I personally think he was better than JL, plus JL had the cocaine issue he was arrested for. You can also thank that Super Bowl to the Ravens D, their offense was mediocre begind Dilfer but that D was unreal. It's a difference of opinions and if Hurd turns out to be as good as either of them, we'll be lucky to have him.

Reactions: 2 people
Man Lewis had a great career and was an outstanding back. The bad thing about George was the Titans ran him till the wheels came off. He had 1 season with over 400 rushes and never missed a start. I personally think he was better than JL, plus JL had the cocaine issue he was arrested for. You can also thank that Super Bowl to the Ravens D, their offense was mediocre begind Dilfer but that D was unreal. It's a difference of opinions and if Hurd turns out to be as good as either of them, we'll be lucky to have him.

Well, we disagree about who had the better career. My eyes and the numbers say it was Jamal. Jamal had a season with about 390 carries.

Off the field issues have nothing to do with it. Ravens D was amazing that year but so was Jamal, as a rookie....Nearly 1400 yds, 102 rushing in the SuperBowl.

VN Store

Back