Hurd evokes memories of Titans great

Yes, but I was never in love with Eddie. I don't have the passion for professional football the way I do college.

It actually took me awhile to come around to pulling for the home team, as I grew up a Bears fan.

No worries I'm just busting your chops.

First post everyone! Love the site, Freak!
Is it just me, or does Jalen look completely different every day? One pic, he looks huge. The next, not so much. I was at the practice Saturday, and he looks like he could play some OLB. Dude's stout in person.

Attachments

• JALEN.jpg
    JALEN.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 331
  • HURD.jpg
    HURD.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
That was a magical season that ended the most heart breaking way possible. If Kevin Dyson's arm would have only been longer.

14 years later and it still haunts me.

Me too. Wow has it been 14 years already?? Jeez I'm getting old.. As heartbreaking as it was, I will take it 10 times out of 10 to have the Music City Miracle.

Reactions: 1 person
Career highlights and awards

NCAA

Consensus All-American (1995)
Heisman Trophy (1995)
Walter Camp Award (1995)
Maxwell Award (1995)
Doak Walker Award (1995)
Jim Brown Award (1995)
Ohio State Buckeyes #27 retired
College Football Hall of Fame inductee (2011)

NFL

1996 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (AP, PFWA, NEA)
4× Pro Bowl (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)
AP First-Team All-Pro (2000)
AP Second-Team All-Pro (1999)
10,000 Rushing Yards Club

I think most people would consider that a "decent" career.
Its a shame that you even had to post this. Butch Jones would give his left pinky toe to have Eddie George.

Is it just me, or does Jalen look completely different every day? One pic, he looks huge. The next, not so much. I was at the practice Saturday, and he looks like he could play some OLB. Dude's stout in person.

Congrats on your first post, and welcome!

Eddie George was slow and got owned by Bill Duff. I hope he is much better than Fast Eddie ever thought about being.

NFL defenders must be really slow then because Eddie George is 25th all-time in rushing yardage and one of only 28 running backs to break 10,000 yards.

Did you ever watch him as an Oiler/Titan? In 9 seasons, he rushed for over 10,000 yards and only finished under 1,000 yards in two seasons. One of which he finished with 939 yards and the other, was his final season with the Cowturds.

To each their own but you make it sound like Hurd should be better than a Heisman winner and should not only go pro, but finish higher than 25th in rushing yardage. Thems some high standards.

[Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaP1g2Ccsg[/youtube]

All jokes aside about running too tall, watch the replay in this vid and you can see him hit the line of scrimage pretty low and pop up in the open field to turn on the jets. Hope Hurd learns how to use his height to this same advantage.

Don't get me wrong, the guy wasn't a bad player. Just never thought he was as good as he was hyped up to be.

Wow crack kills dude. He was amazing at the game. I understand the fact he was at OSU but damn. We owned him in a bowl game and not to many other teams can say that. GBO

Don't get me wrong, the guy wasn't a bad player. Just never thought he was as good as he was hyped up to be.

Me either. He was durable and would give ya 25 rushes a game all season.

I'm a big Titans fan but I remember the "3 yrds and a cloud of dust" George.

Last edited:

I've noticed that to. Must be his long arm length. When his muscles are relaxed and straight it looks much different then when he flexes.

If he's anything like Eddy, Huard will be most effective if he has a pounding full back leading the way. When the Titans got rid of Neal and went to a one back offense, his productivity diminished.

I wish Eddy would officially retire so he could get some of the recognition he deserves. Not sure if its totally worthy of HOF but at least a few votes just to see.

922e4d492bd0d82d10ddc230765bbe7d.jpg

Considering his hometown, his stature and his position of choice, the player Jalen Hurd most relates to is no surprise.

“There’s not really anybody I compare myself to because I like to think I’m my own person and they’re their own person, but somebody that I really idolized was Eddie George,” he said.

“To be a guy with that build and to play that long, he took a lot of impact on the field and pushed through it and stayed healthy and just kept running and getting yards. That’s amazing.”

Vols' Hurd evokes memories of Titans great | Johnson City Press

Hurd is way faster and more explosive...pretty good role model tho.

If he's anything like Eddy, Huard will be most effective if he has a pounding full back leading the way. When the Titans got rid of Neal and went to a one back offense, his productivity diminished.

I wish Eddy would officially retire so he could get some of the recognition he deserves. Not sure if its totally worthy of HOF but at least a few votes just to see.

He is officially retired.
ex-oiler-and-titans-running-back-eddie-george-struggled-with-post-career-life

Last edited:
Hurd is on the front page of MSN. He is one of MSN's "Which Freshmen could win the Heistman"

I think it's the same phenomenon as a slightly rotund girl who surrounds herself with much more rotund girls. She always looks skinny.

Put him next to a WR like Pearson without pads on, standing in the foreground and he looks like a monster - get him next to the OL and DL guys and he'll look a bit smaller.

He's got the size to get it done at RB - well, except for being too tall.

By the way, welcome to VolNation.

Last edited:
Career highlights and awards

NCAA

Consensus All-American (1995)
Heisman Trophy (1995)
Walter Camp Award (1995)
Maxwell Award (1995)
Doak Walker Award (1995)
Jim Brown Award (1995)
Ohio State Buckeyes #27 retired
College Football Hall of Fame inductee (2011)

NFL

1996 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (AP, PFWA, NEA)
4× Pro Bowl (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)
AP First-Team All-Pro (2000)
AP Second-Team All-Pro (1999)
10,000 Rushing Yards Club

I think most people would consider that a "decent" career.

George was very accomplished yet not a great Runningback. There's a reason why he'll be one of the only, if not THE only RB in NFL history to rush for 10,000 and never even get a sniff at the NFL hall of fame. Was rarely if ever impressed by Eddie. You know a hall of famer, an all-time great when you see him - Brown, Payton, Sanders, Petersen, etc - and, IMHO, George was not in their league.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back