How would you feel about Fulmer eventually replacing Hamilton as Athletic Director?

Would you be comfortable with Fulmer becoming the Athletic Director?

• Total voters
There's actually in my mind only one person who should be AD now and into the foreseeable future. Give me Pat.

I would have no problem with CPF being some type of representative for the University of Tennessee in some capacity, albeit I have no clue how. I just wouldn't want him with control over the hiring and/or firing of coaches at this particular point.

Not only no but He** no! An AD at a school like UT has to understand buisness and people. CPF proved he dosn't like bright up and commers that might one day take his place, hence his lack of a coaching tree.

:dance2:

As a second contender, I think Dooley would be a better AD than an HFC, but some will accuse me of wanting the President's job for that comment. Fulmer is probably the better coach of the two and Hamilton now has us obligated to both.

For the record, just to get it out of the way, I haven't applied for the UT president's job either.

If offered, would you serve?

Its hard to have a former coach as AD these days. I can see Fulmer constantly looking over the shoulder of the coach telling him how to do things. Who would want to coach here having that?

Runz,

1. Pearl's pay raise.

2. Could not convince an Air Force coach that Tennessee was a better place to coach at.

Explain your logic behind this... Not really sure how either is means for firing Hamilton. If Calhouns heart is all in with Air Force, not sure how you can hold that against Hamilton...

The only two issues I can see with Hamilton are the contracts for Kiffin and Fulmer... I'm not so sure Hamilton acted alone with Fulmers extension and buyout, and Kiffins unbelievably low buy-out was probably a must for him to secure Kiffin.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Michigan just recently hired the CEO of Dominos Pizza to be their AD. How many people would turn over a $100 million business to a former employee who was fired for lack of results?

guys noone has givin me a reason why hamilton isint doing good...? Ummm look at the renovations to our facilities that he is getting the money for in a massive recession....umm he hired bruce pearl(think that turned out good), lane kiffin ed orgeron and MONTE kiffin) great hire untill 3 weeks ago... and then dooley who in 2 weeks saved a horrible situation into the 9th best class in the country.....idddd say hamilton knows what he is doing...

so im waiting WHY should hamilton be fired? give me 2 good reasons

Ummm, he hired a guy who went 4-8 in the WAC last year to be his head football coach?

Hamilton has done good things, but he's screwed up the biggest hire. The Bruce Pearl hire was nice, but let's remember that Hamilton didn't really have to work hard to find him. Pearl was pretty much the hottest mid-major coach at the moment. I also give Hamilton credit for (finally) letting go of Fulmer, but it's not like he had much choice given the fan attendance and response.

Hamilton hired Lane Kiffin. On paper, it was a decent hire, but it didn't work out. Sure, Hamilton couldn't have known that Lane would bolt to USC a year later, but nonetheless, the hiring was Hamilton's responsibility, so he deserves some of the blame for how it turned out. There were warning signs already there about what kind of a guy Kiffin was.

But the main issue I take with Hamilton is the Dooley hire. Our rivals have coaches (Saban, Meyer) who had amazingly impressive resumes when hired. Hamilton hired a coach who wasn't even successful in the WAC. People will say, "Oh, but everyone else turned us down." Well, a big part of Hamilton's job was to convince them otherwise. It seems to me like Hamilton's method of hiring a coach is to just call them up and say "Do you want to be UT's head coach? We'll pay you 2 or 3 million." If that's the case, then anyone can do Hamilton's job. Remember Saban initially turned down Alabama and Meyer had an offer from Notre Dame when he took the Florida job. Those ADs had to sell their university, and I don't feel like Hamilton really sold ours when his time came.

It could be that Dooley actually does work out here and wins big (though I just can't see it happening). But even if that is the case, it's hard to say that Hamilton didn't just luck out. After all, does anyone really believe that the hiring of Dooley was the product of Hamilton conducting a thorough search and weighing each candidate, finding the "right guy" and then doing everything possible to secure his services? Or did he just give the job to the first guy who said "yes"?

Last edited:
I don't see Fulmer having the killer instinct for the job. Making great hires and firing those who don't work out. Just don't see it.

Fulmer as AD...

Day 1: Fires football coach.
Day 2: Announces that after an extensive search,no one can match his winning percetage therefore he will be taking the position of head football coach. His contract will include a $30 million buyout.
Day 3: Resigns as AD.

can't say it would hurt my feelings....could he do any worse?

Why all the hate for Hamilton. He hired Bruce Pearl who has turned around our men's basketball program, hired a Tennis coach who I'm pretty sure won a national championship, made a good hire at the time when he got Kiffin, and finally the Dooley hire is going to end up being one of the best. I have always supportered Fulmer but please move on. He isn't coming back.

To the kid that dropped the "fail" comment, whatever.

My logic is this Pantone.

Hamilton allowed himself to be held hostage by a basketball coach who continues to search for shiney new places to be every off season.

He strung the University along be retaining Fulmer after the game passed him by. Very Aggie of him if you ask me. Trust me, we know when we can spot one thats lost their "touch".

He threw some serious $ at a group that took him to the shed after 14 months. Granted he couldnt see that coming, but notice your new "character hire". He learned his lesson on hiring guys that will not hose him and the fan base, regardless of the results.

Hows the baseball team lately?

I cant remember the last time I have EVER read of Tennessee having players in trouble with the law. Actions reflect leadership, and he is the leader of the coaches.

Lastly, he pimped Tennessee to several top candidates, and some potential great HC's. They turned their nose up to him. Then he went for "middle of the road" guys. They followed suit. Finally he settled for a guy from a school as relevant as any other directional La. School.

Dont get me wrong, I hope Dooley does great. He recruited about as well as one could expect. I wish yall the best of luck, but Hamilton has dropped the ball one too many times for me to say, he should have "job security". He'd better damn well hope that Pat wins another one, Dooley works out, and Pearl does what he "says" he can.

IF ANYBODy but Pat Summit became our next AD... it would be a down right sexist move. And this comes from a guy that is an admitted womanizer lol j/k. But seriously, nobody since General Neyland himself that has ever set foot on this campus since deserves that title more. I would love the thought of Pat Summit picking her successor. I think she gets along great w/ Bruce, but if Bruce were to ever leave... I trust she could find the right guy to replace him. And lastly, I think she could decipher through all the bull to ever find a new football coach if necessary.
Pat Summitt for AD!!

To the kid that dropped the "fail" comment, whatever.

My logic is this Pantone.

Hamilton allowed himself to be held hostage by a basketball coach who continues to search for shiney new places to be every off season.

He strung the University along be retaining Fulmer after the game passed him by. Very Aggie of him if you ask me. Trust me, we know when we can spot one thats lost their "touch".

He threw some serious $ at a group that took him to the shed after 14 months. Granted he couldnt see that coming, but notice your new "character hire". He learned his lesson on hiring guys that will not hose him and the fan base, regardless of the results.

Hows the baseball team lately?

I cant remember the last time I have EVER read of Tennessee having players in trouble with the law. Actions reflect leadership, and he is the leader of the coaches.

Lastly, he pimped Tennessee to several top candidates, and some potential great HC's. They turned their nose up to him. Then he went for "middle of the road" guys. They followed suit. Finally he settled for a guy from a school as relevant as any other directional La. School.

Dont get me wrong, I hope Dooley does great. He recruited about as well as one could expect. I wish yall the best of luck, but Hamilton has dropped the ball one too many times for me to say, he should have "job security". He'd better damn well hope that Pat wins another one, Dooley works out, and Pearl does what he "says" he can.

Not one thing you just said has any shred of evidence to support it. Just rumor after rumor.

Noooooo. If Fulmer stepped in it would be like Nebraska was or how the Cowboys and Redskins are every year. Fulmer would be like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder always putting his hands in the cookie jar. He would pretty much try and be the head coach. At least Hamilton knows not to meddle in the coach's business.

I agree. Not one person here could have predicted Kiffin would do what he did.

True. But we're not paid to make these decisions. If it's your job to make a decision and it doesn't work out, then you bear some of the responsibility.

VN Store

Back