How many wins do we need to have a successful season in 2014?

How many wins are needed for 2014 to be a successful season for the Vols?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I Would say atleast six not including a bowl win. Anything less than a bowl game is unacceptable. I do not however think six wins won't happen. We have a legitimate against the majority of our schedule. However something that not a lot of people seems to be talking about is how we play when we lose. Especially from a recruiting standpoint I would want to know that the players that's already here believe in what butch is saying and are willing to fight for it. I believe we win six to eight games. And I believe we play like we believe in what we are doing here in knoxville and in the state of tennessee because this is our state.... Yes I'm talking to you candy.

Well, if that is "EXACTLY what happened", then you should be able to provide an actual link right? I'm still waiting.

But yeah, you've figured out my dastardly plot and now that I've been foiled, I will issue a warning to all my other potential victims out there...

WARNING WARNING WARNING: If you plan on declaring it a successful season, at year's end, even if we go 5-7, then you should probably not vote here that we need 6 or 7 wins to have a successful season. Or someone might actually point out the discrepancy to you.

If you don't think you can stand by your opinion in three months time, whatever it may be, or if you are simply confused by the meaning of the word "successful", then, like KBVol, you should probably refrain from voting at all.

Okay, are we all clear now? Everybody feel safe and secure?

Boy do you get riled up easily. Hit a nerve I see. I'm surely not the only one who remembers what I referred to as your "push poll" from last year. Good luck with this one Oregon.

I voted 6 and I'm referring to regular season only. There are two stipulations I'll mention. If we win 6 and lose a bowl game to a better team, oh well, we made it, and that is still a sign of improvement. If we win 5 only, it will still be a success as long as the recruiting class holds up, just expectations for next year will be higher to counterbalance this season.

I voted 6 and I'm referring to regular season only. There are two stipulations I'll mention. If we win 6 and lose a bowl game to a better team, oh well, we made it, and that is still a sign of improvement. If we win 5 only, it will still be a success as long as the recruiting class holds up, just expectations for next year will be higher to counterbalance this season.

If we went 5-7, do you really think that expectations will be higher next year to "counterbalance this season"? That's not really how it works, is it? I mean, usually it's the opposite, right?

If you go back a year ago, to the beginning of last year, do you think you could really find many here who would have said they would be happy with 6 wins in year 2? Would it be a majority?

But after another losing season last year, we find the vast majority of volnation voters right now saying 6 wins would make a successful 2014 season. Do you really think a clear majority would have said that a year ago?

Do you really think that if we go 5-7 again this year, that the fans will expect more wins in 2015 than they would at this juncture? I just can't see that being the case here.

What I would call success for this year:

1. Do not lose any OOC games other than Oklahoma.
2. Win the last 3 games.
3. Bonus points for beating at least one of: Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, Alabama, South Carolina.

Nothing successful about a losing season any way you look at it. Success and losing don't belong in the same sentence.

Successful season showing great progress=7 wins
Making some progress on the field and giving us hope=6 wins
Sitting at home watching Bowl games knowing Vols can't even make to B'ham bowl AGAIN= F the sales pitch junk....get new coordinators. Hire Muschamp as DC

Why would would you be ecstatic about 7 wins when we have more talent, or as much talent as 7 of the teams on our schedule?

Mainly because of the youth and inexperience combined with our schedule. I agree about talent but that may not show fully until next year and especially the next. I mean could we win more? Sure it's why they play the game but yea for a team with 0 players that have been to a bowl game I am ecstatic with 7 wins personally. We could win more and I hope we do but "expecting" more than 7 is just silly this year.

Mainly because of the youth and inexperience combined with our schedule. I agree about talent but that may not show fully until next year and especially the next. I mean could we win more? Sure it's why they play the game but yea for a team with 0 players that have been to a bowl game I am ecstatic with 7 wins personally. We could win more and I hope we do but "expecting" more than 7 is just silly this year.

I'm not expecting more then 7 wins, I think that 7 wins is on par with the talent we have and out schedule.

Why would would you be ecstatic about 7 wins when we have more talent, or as much talent as 7 of the teams on our schedule?

As much talent? yes. As much experience? no. Is there another FBS team that replaces both O/L D/L? We have the 3rd rated hardest schedule in the FBS. 7 games will be a success at this point in our program. Are you serious??? believing that winning 7 games is NOT something to be ecstatic over? come on

Let's not forget about depth. Having a talented 22 isn't enough. Talent needs to be stacked on top of talent and then it needs to be honed through competition.

As much talent? yes. As much experience? no. Is there another FBS team that replaces both O/L D/L? We have the 3rd rated hardest schedule in the FBS. 7 games will be a success at this point in our program. Are you serious??? believing that winning 7 games is NOT something to be ecstatic over? come on

Experience is becoming a thing of the past in college sports, it's not as important as you think. Our O and D lines will be better then last year.

Let's not forget about depth. Having a talented 22 isn't enough. Talent needs to be stacked on top of talent and then it needs to be honed through competition.

I think we have more then enough depth to beat 7 teams this year.

zDcF724.gif

Last edited:
So if we go 5-7, all but 7 of you guys are going to say it was an unsuccessful season? Call me a cynic, but based on the reactions to the end of last year, I find that very hard to believe.

The majority answer at the moment is 6 wins. This would imply a loss in whatever bowl game we would make with 6 wins. I think that would count as unsuccessful.

A bowl win will mark a successful season.

VN Store

Back