How many wins do we need to have a successful season in 2014?

How many wins are needed for 2014 to be a successful season for the Vols?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your expectations are too low. Seven losses means that UT lost (again) to at least one team with less talent.

Six = meets expectations = success

Seven = exceeds expectations = above avg coach

Eight = far exceeds expectations = elite coach

More than 8 = WOW = re-name a street leading to the stadium "Butch's Way"

This is pretty much my opinion.

So, by that logic, the expectation is for an unsuccessful season?

The fan in me that has seen the adage "if it weren't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all" hold true for UT says yeah. Hopefully our luck improves.

At some point in the season and for the last several seasons we've lost both a #1 reciever and or a QB. This young team can't really afford a repeat.

OK, let's do this one more time, right before the new season kicks off.

How many wins does Butch and co. need for this year to be a success? What are our standards at this point?

What say you, volnation?

I think 6 wins. Because we play 7 or 8 top 25 teams in the nation. Lost all of the O-line and D-line from last year. ( Thanks Dooley) Then you have a team like Ohio St that is ranked 5th in the nation and they play 1 team ranked in the top 25 (Michigan St)

This is one of those trick scam threads....Don't do it....its a trick...your prediction will be used all season long to ridicule you and there is no correct answer...I have seen this trick before in other threads....less than 40 posts and posters are already beginning to take heat....

Reactions: 1 person
Simply put six wins this season is something I can find acceptable. Seven plus wins is successful.

That said, this is the last season I would consider six wins to be anything but vomit inducing. Seven - Eight in 2015 and then I want nothing but 9+ until I die.

This is one of those trick scam threads....Don't do it....its a trick...your prediction will be used all season long to ridicule you and there is no correct answer...I have seen this trick before in other threads....less than 40 posts and posters are already beginning to take heat....

Yep. Did it last year too....just wait for it

Yep. Did it last year too....just wait for it

Hahaha...you guys are so funny.

Where did I do what last year?

Or by "ridicule", do you mean point out to folks who said 5-7 was good and the best we could expect at the end of last year was not what they expected nor what they said they would consider "good" earlier in the season? That's not ridicule, that's what we call "accountability", and I would hope any grown man could deal with that.

On the other hand, if you can't stand by what you post or you're prepared to change your definition of "good" over a three month period, then yeah, you got me, I'm a witch out to curse you and your children.

Boo!

Hahaha...you guys are so funny.

Where did I do what last year?

Or by "ridicule", do you mean point out to folks who said 5-7 was good and the best we could expect at the end of last year was not what they expected nor what they said they would consider "good" earlier in the season? That's not ridicule, that's what we call "accountability", and I would hope any grown man could deal with that.

On the other hand, if you can't stand by what you post or you're prepared to change your definition of "good" over a three month period, then yeah, you got me, I'm a witch out to curse you and your children.

Boo!

Come on Oregon, you did a similar poll last year and used those results to go at posters on here who might've said their only acceptable record for Butch was 6 or more wins and bow, but then "accepted" a 5 win season and argued for being patient with him. I suspect the results from this poll will be used similarly this year depending on the poll's results if UT doesn't get to a bowl game.

6 is successful...get the 7th in the 'cereal bowl' or similar

that said i fully expect a 7 win season...8th in a bowl....
and for that CBJ should win SEC COTY and be a contender for the national COTY

GBO VFL HUBANegavols. Hate your stinking guts

I really do freaking hate you Negavols. hate you. YOU are a detriment to our program, the mindset of your Vol brethren...a cancer to society at large ....and Im sure miserable bastards to be around. YOU cant even enjoy something that is supposed to be purely for ENJOYMENT....football in its purest unpaid form. YOU suck and i hope you all have terrible miserable existences. Piss off.

Come on Oregon, you did a similar poll last year and used those results to go at posters on here who might've said their only acceptable record for Butch was 6 or more wins and bow, but then "accepted" a 5 win season and argued for being patient with him. I suspect the results from this poll will be used similarly this year depending on the poll's results if UT doesn't get to a bowl game.

Link? That's not what happened at all.

I don't think I've ever argued with a poster who simply "argued for being patient" with Butch Jones. Or who "accepted a 5 win season." Now, posters who have said that no one could expect any better than 5 wins or those who suggested we simply didn't have enough talent to beat Vanderbilt last year, I do argue with. Especially when those folks claimed otherwise just weeks before.

But, you're not a hypocrite like that are you? You're not a fair weather guy who just writes a bunch of stuff he'll want to pretend he never said a few weeks later, right? You must have a definition of the word "good" that doesn't just change with every result, right?

Then why be so scared of accountability?

But yeah, if you don't want to stand by what you say, then you should probably hide from any public poll you find here.

Last edited:
I really do freaking hate you Negavols. hate you. YOU are a detriment to our program, the mindset of your Vol brethren...a cancer to society at large ....and Im sure miserable bastards to be around. YOU cant even enjoy something that is supposed to be purely for ENJOYMENT....football in its purest unpaid form. YOU suck and i hope you all have terrible miserable existences. Piss off.

Wow, you sound like a fun guy to be around yourself.

HAHA! You should sit on the visitor's side at games! I dare other fans to cheer for their team with you there.

:mf_surrender:

Link? That's not what happened at all.

I don't think I've ever argued with a poster who simply "argued for being patient" with Butch Jones. Or who "accepted a 5 win season." Now, posters who have said that no one could expect any better than 5 wins or those who suggested we simply didn't have enough talent to beat Vanderbilt last year, I do argue with. Especially when those folks claimed otherwise just weeks before.

But, you're not a hypocrite like that are you? You're not a fair weather guy who just writes a bunch of stuff he'll want to pretend he never said a few weeks later, right? You must have a definition of the word "good" that doesn't just change with every result, right?

Then why be so scared of accountability?

But yeah, if you don't want to stand by what you say, then you should probably hide from any public poll you find here.

What I posted is EXACTLY what happened and it's EXACTLY what you're hoping to replicate again this year. Just own up to it. Say, hey guys, I wanna see what everybody thinks is an acceptable record/prediction of how many wins UT gets this year and be warned.... I'm gonna call you on it after the season if you say 6,7, 8 wins now but say that a 5 win season was "predictable, understandable or even ok" because you guys will then be hypocrites.

Btw, your second paragraph gives you and your intentions away. I don't have a problem with it personally, go ahead.

For the record, I didn't predict a specific win loss record for 2013, like you was incredibly disappointed with the ridiculous vanderbilt loss, was only impressed with Butch's "coaching job" in 2 games.....and I haven't voted in your poll.

What is negative? Happily and with a "positive attitude" stating that you expect 5 wins or insisting on at least 6 to show progress? And maybe traveling a few steps down the "what if" path if expectations aren't met?

Frankly, I find the expectation of only 5 wins VERY negative regardless of who says it or how it is presented. I would like a "positive" indication that UT has a coaching staff that can get it done by seeing progress on the field... in terms of competitiveness AND wins.

What I posted is EXACTLY what happened and it's EXACTLY what you're hoping to replicate again this year. Just own up to it. Say, hey guys, I wanna see what everybody thinks is an acceptable record/prediction of how many wins UT gets this year and be warned.... I'm gonna call you on it after the season if you say 6,7, 8 wins now but say that a 5 win season was "predictable, understandable or even ok" because you guys will then be hypocrites.

Btw, your second paragraph gives you and your intentions away. I don't have a problem with it personally, go ahead.

For the record, I didn't predict a specific win loss record for 2013, like you was incredibly disappointed with the ridiculous vanderbilt loss, was only impressed with Butch's "coaching job" in 2 games.....and I haven't voted in your poll.

Well, if that is "EXACTLY what happened", then you should be able to provide an actual link right? I'm still waiting.

But yeah, you've figured out my dastardly plot and now that I've been foiled, I will issue a warning to all my other potential victims out there...

WARNING WARNING WARNING: If you plan on declaring it a successful season, at year's end, even if we go 5-7, then you should probably not vote here that we need 6 or 7 wins to have a successful season. Or someone might actually point out the discrepancy to you.

If you don't think you can stand by your opinion in three months time, whatever it may be, or if you are simply confused by the meaning of the word "successful", then, like KBVol, you should probably refrain from voting at all.

Okay, are we all clear now? Everybody feel safe and secure?

By definition, what is needed for a winning season, you know .500 or better. Aaand since we play 12 games that would be 6. As 6 devided by 12 equals .500. You could do it by either long division, on a calculator, OR IN YER OWN HAID IF ANYONE TAUGHT YOU HOW TA CIPHER!

Ah ken cipher but spellin's problematic.

i see we still have a meth problem in east tennessee...

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back