How did Verne & Gary handle it today?

This is my one major disadvantage watching games from Atlanta. I can't mute the TV and listen to the Volunteer Radio Network.

It got so bad yesterday I turned off the sound and listened to Illmatic by Nas.

I use iHeart Radio app and stream WIZK. I listen to the pre-game and post game mostly.

Not being a know it all.

I actually like them. I think Gary is one of the most knowledgeable color guys around. It is obvious that he does an incredible amount of homework every week. Uncle Verne is more of a characture at this point. You know what you are getting with him.....mis-pronouncing names, over the top observances, etc. I will be sad to see him go.

This is my one major disadvantage watching games from Atlanta. I can't mute the TV and listen to the Volunteer Radio Network.

Great selection! I can't stand either one of these turds!

I actually like them. I think Gary is one of the most knowledgeable color guys around. It is obvious that he does an incredible amount of homework every week. Uncle Verne is more of a characture at this point. You know what you are getting with him.....mis-pronouncing names, over the top observances, etc. I will be sad to see him go.

I'll be glad to see Verne, that Gator/Bama loving guy, hit the trail. He's nauseating to listen to and so many mistakes he makes; wonder if dementia is setting in.

Reactions: 2 people

I agree. Either the radio lets you know what happens before the TV or vice versa. Doesn't make for pleasant watching. At some point I just muted the TV.

Verne and Gary hate us. It was good to hear them have to eat crow at the end.

I'll be glad to see Verne, that Gator/Bama loving guy, hit the trail. He's nauseating to listen to and so many mistakes he makes; wonder if dementia is setting in.

Agree. Don't think it's dementia since he's made terrible mistakes as long as I can remember. It's only dementia when you decline - he's always been bad.

Reactions: 1 person
Now that we have finally beaten UF again, I hope we can watch next year's game without being reminded for the one millionth time that Peyton never beat Florida.

Evidently, Peyton retiring at the end of a looong NFL career wasn't enough of an indication to them that they should try to find something else to talk about.

If you add up the NFL starts of all Florida QB's from 1994 to today, how many is that compared to just Peyton Manning? I bet not even 1/4.

I thought they were the same as ever - making the game about themselves instead of just calling the damn game, actually showing footage of Danielson at Purdue (!), Lundquist screwing up names and blaming it on UT's jersey colors, and Danielson trying to take credit for calling UT's comeback.

Just another game for these two idiots. I won't watch any game live any more - I DVR the game and start it a bit late to skip through commercials and halftime, but with these two it's essential to be able to blow through a lot of their 'commentary' as well. Just awful, by far the worst crew calling college football since Keith Jackson / Bob Griese.

Absolutely. Verne and Gary were far from great, but Verne did redeem himself with that comment. Those uniforms are butt ugly - the gray with orange mixed in resembles dirt. I've watched TN games both in stadiums and on TV for 50+ years, and there were a couple of times in this game that I caught myself pulling for the guy in the white uniform before remembering we were just in the wrong color. We are Tennessee Orange and White.

I thought initially that Lundquist was commenting on what our traditional colors were, but it was only that he couldn't tell who the players were with those coke bottle lenses he wears with the dark on dark jerseys.

Couldn't agree more on those uniforms - just brutal.

Danielson was exceptional IMO. Verne was his typical self, but, dude, that Louganis joke was awesome! I thought he even delivered it well, and it seemed to go over Danielson's head. My buddy told me he thought the joke was lame, but I'm curious to see if anyone is with me...

I had the unfortunate circumstance that had to listen to vol telecast w/ Bob Kesling and Tim Priest in the car on long drive. To quote Vern...OH MY. I've not listened to a game in a LONG time, and won't be again soon. Like Tim's comments actually. But, Bob is TOUGH to listen to even when winning. Seems he doesn't realize he's supposed to be painting a picture for the unseeing audience...here's couple of many snafu gems (not verbatim): "First and ten...hand off to Hurd, he's popped and wrapped up, and falls forward... call it second and three." TD to Jennings..."Dobbs is feeling pressure, throws to open Jennings...he drops it, no catches it, was he in bounds??? touchdown"...something to that effect. Tim Priest recued that moment by saying "get you some of that Jalen Tabor". Know he's a UT "lifer", but why does UT tolerate Bob?

When got home, watched the second half, and though thought would hear Danielson kissing UF's behind after half, thought he was balanced, and thought they did better job than normal.

Bob is great in studio. Handles phone calls and interviews well. He just really struggles with live play by play calls. Unfortunately, that's what he's supposed to be good at.

Verne is just getting worse - can never seem to get the right words out.
Gary is perpetually negative. Even on good plays (by either team) he finds something negative to discuss and he over analyzes everything.

A play by play person's job is to be accurate and descriptive of the play - Verne is neither.
A color person's job is to add excitement and insight - Gary is a downer and his insight is overstated opinions about the significance of a given play and/or finding the negative.

Least favorite duo out there. Mark Jones and Rod Gilmore are a close second but that's only because Gilmore is so bad. Jones is fine.

When we were celebrating, Gary said, "what could you not love about this university?"

I thought it was "What could you not love about this sport?" or "What could you not love about college football?"

Something to that effect. Of course with all the visuals of the band, happy fans, checkered Neyland, and rocky top, you can easily make the leap to be "this university".

Multiple times Verne has referred to the Tennessee Waltz as the alma-mata. I can see how that could be mistaken to someone that didn't go there.

Last edited:
For curiosity's sake, I have a feel for what those two magpies were promoting the 1st half with all the UF accolades. But for those watching the game on CBS how did they handle the pivot and our domination of UF at the end?

i watched the whole thing finally last night. and i got to say, and i'm no fan of the two, for the most part, they did really well all in all.

my favorite line from Gary, i think toward the end of the 3rd quarter after 4-5 straight 3 & outs...

"the genius has no answer".

Verne was verne, no worse, no better. i thought the analysis was good, and for the first time in a long time, i didn't get the feeling they were railing on TN. "just keep playing" is what they kept saying.

production wise, i thought the shots from the blimp, and the crowd, vol navy etc...were awesome, and at the end of the game, they just let the camera roam around and take in the celebratioin...no commentary i'd say for what, about 30 or so seconds? which is a lifetime on live TV.

so, while us winning has a lot to do with it, i thought it was not too bad at all.

Verne is just getting worse - can never seem to get the right words out.
Gary is perpetually negative. Even on good plays (by either team) he finds something negative to discuss and he over analyzes everything.

A play by play person's job is to be accurate and descriptive of the play - Verne is neither.
A color person's job is to add excitement and insight - Gary is a downer and his insight is overstated opinions about the significance of a given play and/or finding the negative.
Least favorite duo out there. Mark Jones and Rod Gilmore are a close second but that's only because Gilmore is so bad. Jones is fine.

In all fairness, Gary can't help it. He played college football at Purdue and pro football in Detroit and Cleveland. After playing in those places, he can't help being negative.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that fat turd is leaving. I CANT STAND VERN. He's been horrible for years! He can't say John Smith or Bob Jones without mispronouncing it!! He hates UT & is very biased & beats about 10 dead horses per game!
GOOD RIDDANCE !!!

I know that Verne is past his prime and Gary can be an insufferable know-it-all...

But damn it feels nice to be on the 3:30 CBS slot again after years of noon kickoffs on ESPNU and the backup backup crew on SEC Network. Hearing the SEC on CBS theme (drums) and seeing the boys in orange is something I won't take for granted.

We had Corso and Verne in the same building to watch us for the first time since... it's been a while. I don't care if they're both shells of their former glory, they are icons of the sport we love. It's nice to have them calling our games again.

VN Store

Back