How did Verne & Gary handle it today?

bull ****v ..they both did better then any game they have call for us in the last few years.

I hated listening to them the last few years..today..good.

hold your grudge when it is needed.
Agreed. I went to the game, but also recorded. I watched the whole thing this morning and they did a damn good job. Not a whole lot of bias.

Reactions: 1 person
For someone who played QB, I don't k ow why Gary seems to be so clueless about the game in general.

I'm your head. Danielson seemed like he almost expected us to come back and win. They called a fair game today imo

Well they called the Georgia game last year and we were in greys. Maybe they had that in the back of their minds. Also they had last week saw Alabama come back from a huge deficit.

Glad someone made a thread on this. I thought they were pretty terrible. Missed a ton of plays and calls. Kept asking each other questions about whether or something happened when the replay clearly showed it, and the on about the fourth replay finally got it. Missed several player names, misidentified the Tennessee Waltz as the alma mater. Plus Verne made that underhanded comment about thinking our colors were orange and white and not. Wing able to read our numbers. It was just sloppy.

I had the unfortunate circumstance that had to listen to vol telecast w/ Bob Kesling and Tim Priest in the car on long drive. To quote Vern...OH MY. I've not listened to a game in a LONG time, and won't be again soon. Like Tim's comments actually. But, Bob is TOUGH to listen to even when winning. Seems he doesn't realize he's supposed to be painting a picture for the unseeing audience...here's couple of many snafu gems (not verbatim): "First and ten...hand off to Hurd, he's popped and wrapped up, and falls forward... call it second and three." TD to Jennings..."Dobbs is feeling pressure, throws to open Jennings...he drops it, no catches it, was he in bounds??? touchdown"...something to that effect. Tim Priest recued that moment by saying "get you some of that Jalen Tabor". Know he's a UT "lifer", but why does UT tolerate Bob?

When got home, watched the second half, and though thought would hear Danielson kissing UF's behind after half, thought he was balanced, and thought they did better job than normal.

Thought it was a nice tribute to Verne's longivity done on the Jumbotron. Nice acknowledgement to the # of UT games he has called. Classy move by my alma mater IMO

Now that we have finally beaten UF again, I hope we can watch next year's game without being reminded for the one millionth time that Peyton never beat Florida.

Evidently, Peyton retiring at the end of a looong NFL career wasn't enough of an indication to them that they should try to find something else to talk about.

I am sure there are worse announcers but I can't think of any right now

*Hears Beth Mulllins calling a game*

What do you know I just thought of one. Wait until Tennessee plays a game called by her. You will be begging for Verne and Gary.

She's awful! Mowins is her name.

Best comment all day by them was that they thought Tennessee wore orange and white and couldn't understand the ugly gray uniforms, where you couldn't even see the numbers.

Absolutely. Verne and Gary were far from great, but Verne did redeem himself with that comment. Those uniforms are butt ugly - the gray with orange mixed in resembles dirt. I've watched TN games both in stadiums and on TV for 50+ years, and there were a couple of times in this game that I caught myself pulling for the guy in the white uniform before remembering we were just in the wrong color. We are Tennessee Orange and White.

I'm curious as to how many times they brought up the eleven game streak? Three or four times would have been more than enough. It had to be in the twenties.

For guys paid well to say interesting things about a football game they sure know how to beat a dead horse.

I'm glad I was at the game instead of listening to those blowhards. Their Bama and UF love is always endless. I have the game DVR'd. I'm going to just rewatch the second half so I can listen to them call TN TD's with pain in their voices. I'm sure the signature Verne "Oh my goodness" was much less enthusiastic.

I'm gonna be honest. There towards the end, I got the impression they were actually happy to see us break the streak.

Reactions: 2 people
After the half Gary said over and over, "just keep playing". I didn't think that they were too bad.

It was said at some point in the first half, "this looks like a team that has lost 11 in a row"

Gary said in the 3rd after that crazy Jennings catch that he could feel the momentum starting to turn and for them to keep playing. He actually predicted the comeback and seemed very happy for us

Reactions: 4 people
I'm curious as to how many times they brought up the eleven game streak? Three or four times would have been more than enough. It had to be in the twenties.

For guys paid well to say interesting things about a football game they sure know how to beat a dead horse.

This is my one major disadvantage watching games from Atlanta. I can't mute the TV and listen to the Volunteer Radio Network.

It got so bad yesterday I turned off the sound and listened to Illmatic by Nas.

This is my one major disadvantage watching games from Atlanta. I can't mute the TV and listen to the Volunteer Radio Network.

It got so bad yesterday I turned off the sound and listened to Illmatic by Nas.

Use to do this with John Ward. Now?? I sometimes wonder if I'am watching the same game that's being called.

I refer to them as Ace and Gary.

Ace+and+Gary.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back