How BIG is the Florida game this year?

How BIG is this game? Pick your Avatar.

• Total voters
There are home games which draw fans who do not have tickets to Knoxville. They come on the hope of being able to score tickets, locally. Opponent UF is one of these. I have been in K-town when Neyland is jammed, and the local restaurants & bars with TVs tuned into the game host a plethora of out-of-towners who failed to score tickets.

Not trying to imply as SC being a traditional powerhouse but they’re predicted by most columnists to finish second in the division so yea they’re one of the bigger names this year.

And they picked the BB team to finish at the bottom also...
Our clown and ringmaster is gone..Muschump lost his whipping boy..
We will see what real coaching to do this year..and I think we will all be pleasantly surprised at how good we are...

GBO

In 1978, folks came into Knoxville for the Bama game. The streets of Fort Sanders were flooded with their cars, curb to curb. One desperate group parked their car in our front yard. A friend, Jeffrey removed the valve cores from their tire stems and placed his air compressor on our front porch in plain view. The occupants of the car failed to score tickets to the game and returned. Jeffrey admonished them for parking in the yard and bargained for the return of their valve cores and re-inflation of their tires. I think he got $50. We took some of the money and bought cases of beer. After their car was road worthy once more, they found another place to park and walked back to our house, asking to join us as we drank beer and listened to the game on the radio. It turned out to be a good time, even though the Vols lost. They drove back to Memphis that night.

I dont think the WVU game is going to be as tough as most do. I know they scored a lot of points last year but they did not do it against the bigger schools they played. 24 against TCU, 24 against Virginia Tech, 14 against Texas, 14 against Utah. those numbers just dont scare me that much

If that is the way you assess a team, then look at our games last year against major competition. We were lucky to get first downs in our big games.

It used to mean the East a long time ago. Hopefully we can get back to that

Because you said.....

"UT fans fear the UF game more than any other SEC team fears UF. It's a mental block 45 years in the making."

Are you a UT fan?

Tell you what, sit back and watch the "puckering" that goes on as UF week approaches. Why? I have no idea? They should be in about the same boat as UT this season,

Reactions: 1 person
We need to win more than anything for the perception of program. If Mullen comes into Knoxville and wins then he’s perceived as the superior coach and UF will out recruit us this cycle.

Most here think Pruitt is the better hire over Mullen. Both schools are coming off abysmal seasons so with the advantage of home field and the better coach we should win right? We’ll find out in September.

Tell you what, sit back and watch the "puckering" that goes on as UF week approaches. Why? I have no idea? They should be in about the same boat as UT this season,

I will accept that you don't understand it, but you answered it in the second part of that post... :)

"Some years they were better. Many times they weren't but UT still found a way to lose to them"

I dont think the WVU game is going to be as tough as most do. I know they scored a lot of points last year but they did not do it against the bigger schools they played. 24 against TCU, 24 against Virginia Tech, 14 against Texas, 14 against Utah. those numbers just dont scare me that much

If that is the way you assess a team, then look at our games last year against major competition. We were lucky to get first downs in our big games.

Other key information:

1) Will Grier was out early in that Texas game
2) He didn't play versus Utah
3) Virginia Tech and TCU were among the best scoring defenses in college football last year

With the pieces they have returning, holding them under 4 TDs would be a good outcome. We are not a 9.5 point underdog because Vegas thinks WVU will score 50 on us, but because (as Vol423's example points out) there is considerable uncertainty about our offense.

An interesting point I brought up in another thread and it had to do with the long losing streak to Alabama. We have lost 11 straight to them, just like Florida, but with one interesting twist. The last time we lost 11 straight games to Bama, we hired one of their assistants and won the following season. This happened in 1970 when Bill Battle was hired as our new head coach, coming from Bear Bryant's staff. This was also Battle's first head coaching gig. Tennessee shut out the Tide 24-0 that year. UT also went 11-1 that year, but with the disparity in talent levels between the two seasons, I don't see the synchronicity going any further than having a first time head coach coming from our biggest rival, under one the most legendary coaches and the streak reaching 11 games.

We need to win more than anything for the perception of program. If Mullen comes into Knoxville and wins then he’s perceived as the superior coach and UF will out recruit us this cycle.

Most here think Pruitt is the better hire over Mullen. Both schools are coming off abysmal seasons so with the advantage of home field and the better coach we should win right? We’ll find out in September.

I can't tell if you are in the "most" camp or not. By "most" do you mean more than 75% or around 51%? Thanks.

An interesting point I brought up in another thread and it had to do with the long losing streak to Alabama. We have lost 11 straight to them, just like Florida, but with one interesting twist. The last time we lost 11 straight games to Bama, we hired one of their assistants and won the following season. This happened in 1970 when Bill Battle was hired as our new head coach.
not true . Between 1960 and 1970 the record was essentially a dead heat. FWIW..... the longest modern day streaks and most likely longest series steaks were ended respectively by CJM in ‘82 & CPF in ‘95

We win that game and it’s ginna give us a lot of needed confidence going forward. I’m not convinced that we can’t upset one of the big names like auburn or SC this year. Bama and UGA are to much for us this year

Eh, since when did SC become a big name? :eek:lol:

not true . Between 1960 and 1970 the record was essentially a dead heat. FWIW..... the longest modern day streaks and most likely longest series steaks were ended respectively by CJM in ‘82 & CPF in ‘95

I wasn't talking about who had the longest streak, but pointed out that history is repeating itself

I can't tell if you are in the "most" camp or not. By "most" do you mean more than 75% or around 51%? Thanks.

I’m not in the most camp. It’s probably around 75%.

Our fans forget that Mullen did more with less talent and in a more competitive division. Pruitt has had loads of talent at each stop.

With both coaches starting their 1st year at a new job you would think things are about as even as possible with us having home field. If Pruitt is the superior hire as they want you to believe, then we should win the Florida game.

Streaks have nothing to do with that game anymore unless Mullen is their 3rd Hall of Fame coach in as many decades.

Florida and UT will be down this year with new coaches and a lack of top talent. If UT wins, it will be a big boost for the rest of the season.

It's big for us for 2 reasons: 1) a loss here makes a bowl game that much less likely, and 2) it's so rare that we beat Florida that any chance to actually knock them off needs to be taken advantage of.

Both sentences I just typed out are depressing. The whole series against them since the early 90's has just been maddening. When we're really good, they're great. And when they're bad, we're worse. Obviously a sprinkling of exceptions in there, but by and large, that's they way it is and unfortunately the way I see it again playing out this year.

VN Store

Back