How BIG is the Florida game this year?

How BIG is this game? Pick your Avatar.

• Total voters
The Florida game will always be huge to me. If UT can gain traction in this series, it will be big to many others as well.

I hate Florida.

Reactions: 2 people
If the season is going to be as challenging as I think it’s going to be ........

Please Lord give us the one against the Gators.

It’ll make the rest of the season easier to swallow.

Honestly for UT this game is much bigger than it is for UF. UF has owed this series the past what 30 years? UT has only won 7 since 1976. Pretty freaking pathetic

Reactions: 4 people
I think for the first time in a long time the Florida game doesn't mean a whole lot.

I've already given my prediction in another thread that it's a distinct possibility that this team beats Florida and still only wins 6 games.

The long held maxim that if UT beats Florida then they will have an unbelievable season doesnt apply this year.

Playing Florida at home with a fellow year 1 coach at the helm is not anywhere close to UTs toughest game of the season.

For instance there's a better chance in my mind that we beat Florida that there is winning a single SEC road game. Yes that's right, I think UT has a better chance of beating Florida at home this year than it does beating Vandy on the road.

I think that's dumb, that's right, dumb. There is likely to be twice the Vol fans there as Vandy fans.

The powerhouse Vandy. Lofl. They managed to beat Butch and Derrick a few times and now "they own Tennessee" gtfo. Wait and see.

Reactions: 6 people
The most important game is WVU. If we win that, we should be 3-0 facing UF in Neyland. Confidence is a crazy thing with 18-22 year olds.....

You are assuming a WVU loss? If we win the first game and get beat by UF then win November that is a 7 win season.

I just think it is unlikely that we have a 7 win season with that scenario, but it is obviously possible.

One thing I know for sure: if we prove good enough to beat West Virginia on a neutral field, it will make it incredibly painful lose to Florida at home.

I think of 2012 when we thought NC State was a good win and the bottom fell out against Florida--it was horrible.

Also 2015 after taking Oklahoma to overtime, finding a way to lose a 13 point lead in the Swamp.

Both of those losses were crushing because there was an inkling of optimism and it turned out to be completely unjustified.

I hope we aren't going to have that type of inconsistency under Pruitt, but we are Tennessee.

Last edited:
A mix of some......Most important game right now is WVU, next is FL. However, for me, it will never be bigger than the "3rd Saturday".....ever.

WVU is make or break for being confident against FL. If we beat WVU, FL is the gateway to heights not seen in years here. We don't beat WVU, I'm scared.

We win that game and it’s ginna give us a lot of needed confidence going forward. I’m not convinced that we can’t upset one of the big names like auburn or SC this year. Bama and UGA are to much for us this year

You say big names then say SC. You must be joking? The same SC that has lost to KY 4 years in a row now?

There is likely to be twice the Vol fans there as Vandy fans.

Isn't that true every year?

I love how people think UT can't lose to Vandy right up until the moment they actually do, which has been very frequent the last few years. I never said Vandy was a powerhouse of anything, but they will more than likely beat UT this year.

Vandy isn't a powerhouse so much as UT is in the bottom of a canyon thanks to everyone's great savior Butch Jones.

IMO the biggest game is WVU. If we beat them then the team will have belief in themselves. Ga, AU, AL, I believe would take major upset. we can beat uscjr

I just think it is unlikely that we have a 7 win scene season with that scenario, but it is obviously possible.

One thing I know for sure: if we prove good enough to beat West Virginia on a neutral field, it will make it incredibly painful lose to Florida at home.

I think of 2012 when we thought NC State was a good win and the bottom fell out against Florida--it was horrible.

Also 2015 after taking Oklahoma to overtime, finding a way to lose a 13 point lead in the Swamp.

Both of those losses were crushing because there was an inkling of optimism and it turned out to be completely unjustified.

I hope we aren't going to have that type of inconsistency under Pruitt, but we are Tennessee.

well, isn't there a reason why we changed coaches??:question:

Reactions: 1 person
You say big names then say SC. You must be joking? The same SC that has lost to KY 4 years in a row now?

meh. they've been pretty good. they're probably going to be pretty good this year...more veteran team by now. i think the most interesting thing about USCe this year is how do they handle not being the underdog in every game? there's going to be plenty of pre season love for them, likely to be picked 2nd in the East. i think that's going to be a little interesting, see how they do with a bit of a target on their back.

I love how people think UT can't lose to Vandy right up until the moment they actually do, which has been very frequent the last few years. I never said Vandy was a powerhouse of anything, but they will more than likely beat UT this year.

Vandy isn't a powerhouse so much as UT is in the bottom of a canyon thanks to everyone's great savior Butch Jones.

so there's no room for improvement, since you know, Butch is gone? i mean, did you think we were going 4-8 last off season? exactly how long will it take before someone can say 'we're going to beat Vandy agian' w/out the stink of the 2017 season being brought up?

did we lose last year because of 2005? or 2012? 2016? i mean, precedents were set then too.

and the biggest reason for all that stink, is now gone, so get some lysol, freshen things up a bit. we aren't going to win anything of consequence next year.

but we're beating Vandy. that's happening.:peace2:

so there's no room for improvement, since you know, Butch is gone? i mean, did you think we were going 4-8 last off season? exactly how long will it take before someone can say 'we're going to beat Vandy agian' w/out the stink of the 2017 season being brought up?

did we lose last year because of 2005? or 2012? 2016? i mean, precedents were set then too.

and the biggest reason for all that stink, is now gone, so get some lysol, freshen things up a bit. we aren't going to win anything of consequence next year.

but we're beating Vandy. that's happening.:peace2:

So you are going with blind optimism. Got it. That's fine.👍

Yes, and until Dooley and You're buddy Butch, it was never a second thought.

I love how people think because Two of the worst coaches in our history dropped the ball a few times against Vandy are now Skurt of'em and think we have a better chance of beating Florida. Good grief man, nobody asked how scared you were of Vandy, should've just kept that chit to yourself and said Florida ain't no big deal.

Reactions: 3 people
as opposed to blind negativism you've gone with?

seems we're at an impass.

Not negative except if you are irrational. My outlook is based on circumstances (and not just last year as the weak minded might believe).

I'm not holding Pruitt to some irrational expectation.

This team is getting plowed this year. I'm still predicting we win 6 games which is a 2 game improvement over last year.

You can call that negative if you want. I don't care.

Yes, and until Dooley and You're buddy Butch, it was never a second thought.

I love how people think because Two of the worst coaches in our history dropped the ball a few times against Vandy are now Skurt of'em and think we have a better chance of beating Florida. Good grief man, nobody asked how scared you were of Vandy, should've just kept that chit to yourself and said Florida ain't no big deal.

Yeah actually someone did accuse me of being scared of Vandy. Did you miss that post? Lol

And just changing head coaches isnt going to make the outlook different in year 1.

Yeah actually someone did accuse me of being scared of Vandy. Did you miss that post? Lol

And just changing head coaches isnt going to make the outlook different in year 1.

Let's apply some logic and reason, then, shall we?*

Vandy has won 4 of the last 6. Ouch!

5 of the last 13. Still yucky.

7 of the last 43. That's better.*

Overall, Tennessee leads, 75–32–5, with 19 of those losses occurring in 1926 or before. That means they've won 13 games against UT from 1927- the present.*

You see, I'm going to apply a little reasoning. History shows that losing to Vandy is unlikely. We own them. Their recent success against UT is an anomaly due to horrendous coaching. If Pruitt is our guy, we will likely win this game. In another thread you said we have a better chance of beating Florida than Vandy. That's ludacris. Florida has beaten us time and time again even when we have the better team. However, we have beaten Vandy time and time again, even with subpar teams. Even considering their recent success against UT, I'd say the odds are in our favor to win this game.*

So yes, I think you seem a little scared of Vandy. It's ok. We got this.*

I wonder how many likes this post will get???? A bunch I hope!!!!

Edit: Just in case you missed it. 😀

if butch jone es is actually as bad as many (self included) think he was/is, then how on Earth can it not at least be addition by subtraction? at the very least NOT having him on the sidelines shoudl be worth a Vandy game. yes, even in Nashville.

Oh chit, guess I did miss it. lol.

Sure it is. Its Vandy. Vanderbilt. I ain't backing down, we'll revisit this in November, scardy cat.

VN Store

Back