Hoke the Joke

Lot of problems with this football team. The main one being most of the Assistants aren't any good. Were terrible in almost every area. House cleaning coming and then we'll see if we can have a decent season next year.

Reactions: 1 person
Only on VN does somebody ***** about an interim coach and expect to be taken dead seriously. :lol:

Reactions: 5 people
Only on VN does somebody ***** about an interim coach and expect to be taken dead seriously. :lol:

Come on, a week is ample time to turn this team around. 😬

I appreciate Hoke if for no other reason than he didn’t use cliches and coach speak during his press conferences last week. Lol.

Reactions: 5 people
It's football and it's meant to be played in the elements. As long as there wasn't lightning in the area, you play the game.

Not when half the lights in the stadium are out. Couldn't even see the ball after it was kicked. Shame on the refs and especially shame on Hoke for agreeing to start the second half before all the lights were on. He UT's wants to collect his additional $50k a game bonus and get the season over with.

The choice to go ahead with the kick off was a stupid decision. You guys can flap on about "it's football , you play it in the weather conditions" He had an option and choose the wrong one.

We didn't have a player who could field the ball in the rain, what made him think we could field it in that monsoon.

The decision to go for it in the second half backed up at the 20 yard line was also stupid.
Kick the damn ball and flip the field, Daniel was having a good night considering the wind. Take advantage of that.
Additionally, JG should have picked up the first on the third down. The keep was wide open in the middle. Again with his indecision and apparently really heavy shoes he waited to run it until the window was closing coming up short again.

Did I think we could win the game, no. But with a couple of smarter decisions we could of had a shot at it.

So now we play our ugly sister from the mid state to see who truly is the worst team in the conference.
Someone wake me up, this is the worst nightmare I've ever experienced

Agree with everything except gotta cut JG some slack as he was obviously playing on one ankle

Bottom line is we win that game with out the two dropped punts and second half kick off mistake.

You suck with bottom lines. The actual bottom line is that we muffed punts and kick returns, LSU didn’t and it was partly why they won......but they did win, 30-10, in Neyland stadium, and Butch Jones was not coaching our team.

It wasn't a horrible decision. For one thing, it wasn't nearly as intense a few minutes before the kick off when Hoke would have been asked if he wanted it delayed. For another, had the field position been reasonable, the offense would have had an advantage in the dimmed lighting by being deceptive and hiding the ball carrier. It can be hard to tell if the QB or RB has the ball in perfect conditions.

It's not about the rain, it's about the freaking lights being out. Hard to play football using a born ball in the dark. Hoke is a joke just like Jones was. Can't wait until this entire staff, except Gillespie, is out of here. I feel like we have been robbed.

Only thing I wish we'd done differently.... I think I'd have used the 2nd half option to actually kickoff to them and make them play offense in that deluge. Might have kept the game close longer. Just delaying the inevitable though.

Only thing I wish we'd done differently.... I think I'd have used the 2nd half option to actually kickoff to them and make them play offense in that deluge. Might have kept the game close longer. Just delaying the inevitable though.

For us to have the ball pinned deep in our own territory after Callaway muffed another return, that whole situation just sums up how things have gone for us this year.

Reactions: 2 people
Bottom line is we win that game with out the two dropped punts and second half kick off mistake.

Hypotheticals are impossible to prove, near-impossible to analyze with any rigor, and silly to argue, but here goes:

Even without the two dropped punts and the 2nd half kickoff mediocrity, the final score is 13-10, LSU wins.

Yep, we gave them a field goal with one muffed punt, and a touchdown with the other. That's 10 points. And then a touchdown in the second half with that kickoff return situation. So another 7 points. That's 17 total. So the math goes like this: 30 - 17 = 13.

There's very little chance our anemic offense would have run the entire field to score on any of those three drives, so it's not like we add points to our side of the ledger.

So nope, it doesn't come down to those three plays. Our lads played tough last night, especially the defense, but we came up short. That's really all there is to it.

Last edited:

You sir are correct. Let them start on offense in the worst of the weather and try to get them to make a mistake.

For us to have the ball pinned deep in our own territory after Callaway muffed another return, that whole situation just sums up how things have gone for us this year.

It was kind of impressive to outgain an opponent yet lose by 20. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

The fact he let Callaway near the ball on punts and kickoffs after the first miff was inexcusable.

It was kind of impressive to outgain an opponent yet lose by 20. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

I didn’t even realize we outgained them.

When you have two special teams turnovers, statistically, the chances of winning are practically nil.

The fact he let Callaway near the ball on punts and kickoffs after the first miff was inexcusable.

In some ways it was, but I think it's gotten to the point that we've run out of bodies in a lot of places. He was deep on that kickoff because Ty Chandler got concussed.

I didn’t even realize we outgained them.

When you have two special teams turnovers, the chances of winning are practically nil.

If you think about it....The 3 screwups on kick returns and the botched 4th down sneak probably handed LSU 150 yards of field position. Just one of those would have been devastating....but 4??

bottom line is, football is made to be played in the elements. LSU made plays that we didn't. they could've dropped punts just as easily, but they didn't.

VN Store

Back