Heupel's Monday Presser

The fact that our D could not get Florida off the field and allowed the Gators to chew up a lot of clock in the first half may have had something to do with upsetting the rotations. But CJH did not care to throw the D under the bus which he needs to do.
Florida had the ball 37 minutes to our 22 minutes....Not good.

The fact that our D could not get Florida off the field and allowed the Gators to chew up a lot of clock in the first half may have had something to do with upsetting the rotations. But CJH did not care to throw the D under the bus which he needs to do.

Disagree. You bust their asses in house…not in the press.

Heard on Basilio….coaches don’t trust Sampson’s blocking. He is upset with lack of playing time. Stop me if you’ve heard this before ad nauseam.

Total shocker there. A dynamic RB at UT who they are worried about in pass protection.

If Sampson goes the Jamal Lewis route and blows up after an embarrassing loss to UF, I'll be very upset and express it on Vol Nation.

A coach’s only tool is to take away playing time, and this is where it really sucks when you are rebuilding a roster. You just don’t have the necessary replacements.

It is different when a team is loaded. Like at Alabama. Or Tennessee in the late 90s. If a player half-asses it, the coach has three other rabid dogs fighting to take his place.

Whether our backups are as good as the starter or not, CJH needs to start benching guys who don’t give 100% to send a message.

And I agree with you. Teammates need to start enforcing some accountability, too. We need fist fights at practice more than after embarrassing losses.

It’s one thing to make a mistake or bad play. But it’s inexcusable to not give it 100%.
I hope it's not a situation where the culture in the locker room is: Coach can't replace me because the step down will hurt the team too much.

When benching problem players will lead to losses, the coach is in a very tough spot. Johnny Manziel comes to mind quickly because he had zero discipline, apparently even doing drugs in the locker room, but he was so talented he was irreplaceable and successful in college no matter what he was doing. He learned the next level is The Next Level and it left aTm with a lousy culture.

If Heupel has to discipline this squad with the bench, we'll not be as successful as I hope. People like to spout "Next man up!" but it's not that easy. The starters are starters for a reason and especially with a team that Pruitt left in the dumpster 3 years ago AND the portal giving the backups the freedom to transfer, we're not going to have a second team full of "plug in" players. Even Bama, Ohio State, etc have some drop off these days when starters are out.

I wish the guys were all mature enough to make great decisions on and off the field but I was in my teens and 20s once. To see VN, some folks here went straight from class/work to church and nothing more.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Hard for me to believe that Mincey wasn’t motivated to be ready to play against his former team in his home state. Very sad.
Oh, I am sure he was ready, just not bright enough to stay out of trouble the week before the game. He was suspended for being dimwitted, not for motivation.

How does he not owe us any explanations? If we contribute money to this program he 100% owes us explanations. His beating around the bush about stuff that he could just honest about is on my last nerve.
Then stop donating. Please stop with the I am a donor so I am entitled argument. He does not have to talk about dirty laundry to anyone but the president and AD of the university. They sign his check, not donors.

Reactions: JacketVol
Florida had the ball 37 minutes to our 22 minutes....Not good.
It would have been worse if we had scored like last year. Please tell me one time last year that time of possession wasn't severely in favor of our opponent.

Something is amiss with this team, and if Fixable, better get fixed soon. Otherwise, it will as bad as some think. When a player says they don't believe; you got trouble. Major trouble.
It has been an odd year so far. You haven't really had anyone stand up and be that leader. I honestly kind of feel like after that UF game that Milton really needed to take ownership. I am not saying anything was even his fault really. I just think that is what leaders do. They own the mistakes of the group and take the blame even when its not theirs to own.

Side note CJH needs to take a deep look in the mirror and place a lot of the blame on himself. How can we seemingly not manage to play in hostile loud environments?

It has been an odd year so far. You haven't really had anyone stand up and be that leader. I honestly kind of feel like after that UF game that Milton really needed to take ownership. I am not saying anything was even his fault really. I just think that is what leaders do. They own the mistakes of the group and take the blame even when its not theirs to own.

Side note CJH needs to take a deep look in the mirror and place a lot of the blame on himself. How can we seemingly not manage to play in hostile loud environments?

It’s more than playing in hostile environment. Players giving half effort made that environment that much worse.

No. And I agree with him to keep it in house.
What would you like him to say? The defense played fine? Nah man. These players are getting paid now. They need to know that giving up on plays while representing that Power T will get your ass to the bench.

His comment about lack of effort in tackling had to have been directed towards Hadden. Sucks that one bad football on defense has changed the outlook on that side of the ball.

What would you like him to say? The defense played fine? Nah man. These players are getting paid now. They need to know that giving up on plays while representing that Power T will get your ass to the bench.
I'll have to see it to believe it. Seems that secondary has unlimited good will. None of them can screw up badly enough to warrant bench time from Martinez and Banks. Hadden especially. The only thing that makes sense is that they're protecting the youngsters who just aren't ready yet. Thank the football gods for the portal. Without it, Nico's debut season will be a nightmare....and this assumes Heupel will be able to operate successfully in the portal and fortify the OL among other spots. That remains to be seen.

Reactions: Tnphil
This is just an observation, but Heupel's teams have underperformed in hostile environments at away games. We have two notable away wins: Kentucky and LSU. Other than that, we have been underwhelming, to say the least, on the road. Saturday, we looked like a team that had two cupcakes at home and took a step up in competition in a really hostile environment. I don't think our schedule did us any favors as far as getting us ready for UF at the cesspool.

Florida '23 Team looked visibly shocked in the first half
Georgia '22 Team looked visibly shocked in the first half
SC '22 Team looked visibly shocked in the first half and then kept falling apart
Pitt '22 (we had a lot of luck to win this game) Team looked visibly off-schedule in the first half
Florida '21 Team looked visibly shocked in the first half
Bama '21 (maybe not that bad as we were competitive for a while)

Maybe our schedule needs to include at least somewhat of a challenge before playing UF away. Just a thought.

I'll have to see it to believe it. Seems that secondary has unlimited good will. None of them can screw up badly enough to warrant bench time from Martinez and Banks. Hadden especially. The only thing that makes sense is that they're protecting the youngsters who just aren't ready yet. Thank the football gods for the portal. Without it, Nico's debut season will be a nightmare....and this assumes Heupel will be able to operate successfully in the portal and fortify the OL among other spots. That remains to be seen.
I rewatched, painfully, every highlight play in the UF game. Our defense was worst that I imagined. Our DBs are so disconnected and so easy to pick apart. They screw our linebackers so badly. On run plays we had a safety 20 yards deep with one second of the snap and still retreating. It is mind numbing.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14 and EZE
Portal's full of players that couldn't win the job somewhere else. It's not the end all. It's bargain bin shopping. Consider that 3 of the starters we have on the O line are portal guys with a walk on and a 5th year guy that's just now getting playing time. Vols are hurting at this position for sure, but transfer portal isn't the route to take imo.
Consider H. Hooker, Bru McCoy were both portal players as well

Reactions: Lefteye
We could go 6-6 this year and still not have Heupel on the hot seat. We have had a massive drop off in QB and O-line capability which is directly responsible for ~90% of our offensive woes. The defense, despite their awful 1st half showing against the Gators, has shown some improvement this year. Staffing adjustments need to be made (Martinez) before next year and our DB concerns need to be dealt with in recruiting (not just the portal). Overall, the program is still heading in the right direction.

I agree with this, in large part, and support Heupel and the direction of the program. That being said, if we’re 6-6 this year and 7-5 or 8-4 next year, he will be squarely on the hot seat - and should be. You don’t go 11-2 with a #1 ranking and win a NY6 Bowl, then crap the bed the next two seasons.

Reactions: OptimisticFan

I like exactly what he said.

I want to see what this offense looks like with Cooper back. It won't fix everything but should shore up miscommunication and missed assignments. I think that greatly effected playcalling...there's no way heupel forgot how to scheme up defenses over night.

Something is amiss with this team, and if Fixable, better get fixed soon. Otherwise, it will as bad as some think. When a player says they don't believe; you got trouble. Major trouble.
IMHO, watching the FL game....no alphas willing to take it to the rest of the team....

VN Store

Back