Heupel's Monday Presser

Portal's full of players that couldn't win the job somewhere else. It's not the end all. It's bargain bin shopping. Consider that 3 of the starters we have on the O line are portal guys with a walk on and a 5th year guy that's just now getting playing time. Vols are hurting at this position for sure, but transfer portal isn't the route to take imo.
I agree and will add that when you’re a one dimensional offense, the opposing DC will stack the box to stop the run. That puts the O line at a disadvantage. You have to make the D respect the pass and so far, we haven’t. We have to trust our passing game or the O line will have the problems all season.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think this is one of those things where he knows what the team is capable of, but he’s having a hard time getting it out of them. I think he is supremely disappointed not only in the outcome, but the effort, especially defensively.
I for one am so tired of a certain corner back routinely being out of position, continually running his mouth after getting beaten and also giving a BS effort on what should be a 10 yard gain that turns into a 60 yard touchdown. There shouldn’t be many more opportunities for that person to change effort and poor decision making. It’s embarrassing.
Again, I agree but Hadden wasn't soley responsible for Etienne going 60. About 4 players had chances to bring him down. 1 safety dove at complete air. No one played to their avilities outside of Bru. Bottom line is we have to put it together and play like they are capable of playing. We sucked. CJH knows it, all the staff know it and the players should. Stop reading how great you are and get to work.

coach was "snippy" on the Mincey playing time question.

Edit: He knows that as bad as we played against FL we have games coming up vs GA and Bama that are absolutely going to hammer this team. Bama owes us for last year and GA is far more talented. If we give no better effort than we did in the first half against FL we will be down way more than this past game.

Last edited:
I can’t buy off on that when he knew he had gaping holes on the oline (and arguably secondary and LB) and failed to address that in the portal. I think you see a better Milton if there’s better run blocking and protection. Currently, teams can rush 4-6 and generally cover the run while backing up the secondary to prevent the chunk plays we feasted on last year. Not knowing your personnel and not addressing it when the portal and NIL is available is a failure that rests solely on the coach. It’s not the fault of Ollie Lane and Dane Davis that they’re group of 5 talent level players (if we’re being generous) forced into playing the SEC.
What? Pili was brought in for LB and Campbell and Kuric were brought in for OL.... it's unfortunate Pili is our for the remainder of the year and that Cooper hasn't started a game yet but to say he didn't address it is false.

Also not to mention they got a cornerback transfer from BYU Gabe Jeudy-Lally as well in which he played Saturday night.

Portal's full of players that couldn't win the job somewhere else. It's not the end all. It's bargain bin shopping. Consider that 3 of the starters we have on the O line are portal guys with a walk on and a 5th year guy that's just now getting playing time. Vols are hurting at this position for sure, but transfer portal isn't the route to take imo.
Said it elsewhere but I'd drop down and try to find a stud starting at that level who wants to prove himself at this level. There a a number of guys who came from that level playing in the NFL.

I hope a decision that's not tough is benching Hadden. If effort is contagious so is a lack of it(IMO), so it seems like a no brainer to plug in someone younger, and sacrifice the experience, to get 100% effort every play.

With all the Joe questions there was only one at the very end that addressed the tackling. Disappointed a reporter didn't specifically call out that effort by Hadden.
Hadden should have been benched after that long run. I have never seen anything quite like that. Zero effort to tackle the ball carrier.

Hadden should have been benched after that long run. I have never seen anything quite like that. Zero effort to tackle the ball carrier.
I’m surprised he hasn’t been replaced at this point. Maybe we’ve got a coaching staff chemistry issue that is at the core of this and one position group is undermining other groups similar to what went on during our Clawfense era.

I think this is one of those things where he knows what the team is capable of, but he’s having a hard time getting it out of them. I think he is supremely disappointed not only in the outcome, but the effort, especially defensively.
I for one am so tired of a certain corner back routinely being out of position, continually running his mouth after getting beaten and also giving a BS effort on what should be a 10 yard gain that turns into a 60 yard touchdown. There shouldn’t be many more opportunities for that person to change effort and poor decision making. It’s embarrassing.

Agree. Same thing n Business. I have had good people over the yrs that do NOT want to bring their A game daily. It’s worse nowadays imo. But it’s frustrating as I expect 100% from myself and my team each day to take care of my clients.

Reactions: JacketVol
This thread has gone off the rails. Everybody should maybe consider letting the season play out and see where we’re at after 7 or 8 games
I agree. I mean we lost to a team that for the better part of 20 years has owned us. To me it 100% is a mental block. Every single year we seem to play UF very uptight. I think without the struggles with AP we would have a better idea on this team and what to expect.

Reactions: TN1111
I can't get over that exchange:

Reporter: Was Sampson available?

Heupel: He was. Had plans of having him in the rotation. Both sides of the football, rotation, word salad, coach speak, etc.

He's been one of our most dynamic players. What kind of game is he playing with that?

I agree and will add that when you’re a one dimensional offense, the opposing DC will stack the box to stop the run. That puts the O line at a disadvantage. You have to make the D respect the pass and so far, we haven’t. We have to trust our passing game or the O line will have the problems all season.
I don’t understand why we didn’t do the very same thing to Florida instead of playing on our heels. We let them dictate and we played softy soft. Just head scratching D game plan. Florida is pretty one dimensional, they run and throw to one primary receiver 90 percent of the time. Our D plan and effort in the first half was inexcusable,

I agree. I mean we lost to a team that for the better part of 20 years has owned us. To me it 100% is a mental block. Every single year we seem to play UF very uptight. I think without the struggles with AP we would have a better idea on this team and what to expect.

Something is amiss with this team, and if Fixable, better get fixed soon. Otherwise, it will as bad as some think. When a player says they don't believe; you got trouble. Major trouble.

He knows he has to beat Bama, now. And absolutely cannot drop any home game. Pressure is on.
We could go 6-6 this year and still not have Heupel on the hot seat. We have had a massive drop off in QB and O-line capability which is directly responsible for ~90% of our offensive woes. The defense, despite their awful 1st half showing against the Gators, has shown some improvement this year. Staffing adjustments need to be made (Martinez) before next year and our DB concerns need to be dealt with in recruiting (not just the portal). Overall, the program is still heading in the right direction.

Reactions: davethevol and EZE
When you lose to that Florida team, in that manner, then yes you must beat this Alabama team, this year.
Wow, just ludicrous. If a coach has to beat Alabama to keep his job, we are going to be hiring and firing a coach every 1-2 years.

That's a pissed off coach doing everything he can not to say, "This was a sh***y effort by my team and these little ********* are going to hate practice this week."

What I didn't hear was, "I believe this team can do better." What I did hear was "We need to do better on both sides of the ball."

Instead of "We're a united group who understands that each individual needs to improve," it was much more of a "we've got to get this team to come together and work together."

I am not encouraged to think Josh Heupel believes this team wants it like they did last year.

I can't get over that exchange:

Reporter: Was Sampson available?

Heupel: He was. Had plans of having him in the rotation. Both sides of the football, rotation, word salad, coach speak, etc.

He's been one of our most dynamic players. What kind of game is he playing with that?
I remember Fulmer being asked about a player not being put into the game...This today sounded familiar.

VN Store

Back