Heupel's Monday Presser

I don’t think we’re ever going to get to the bottom of exactly why certain players didn’t play. Heupel doesn’t owe us explanations. He owes us his best effort and I believe we are getting it. Things don’t make sense, but I think we would be best served by trusting that he’s doing his best for UT. The man didn’t forget magically forget what he was doing

So we need to get better in the details and execute better. In other words, we just need to play better. That sounds really familiar. Anxiously waiting for that to happen at some point this year.

Reactions: 08Vol
I don’t think we’re ever going to get to the bottom of exactly why certain players didn’t play. Heupel doesn’t owe us explanations. He owes us his best effort and I believe we are getting it. Things don’t make sense, but I think we would be best served by trusting that he’s doing his best for UT. The man didn’t forget magically forget what he was doing
I can’t buy off on that when he knew he had gaping holes on the oline (and arguably secondary and LB) and failed to address that in the portal. I think you see a better Milton if there’s better run blocking and protection. Currently, teams can rush 4-6 and generally cover the run while backing up the secondary to prevent the chunk plays we feasted on last year. Not knowing your personnel and not addressing it when the portal and NIL is available is a failure that rests solely on the coach. It’s not the fault of Ollie Lane and Dane Davis that they’re group of 5 talent level players (if we’re being generous) forced into playing the SEC.

@lukeneyland
I agree and disagree at the same time. We've made significant improvements as a team and a program under him in certain areas. In other areas, things have stayed the same. Something has to be done about the defense. The secondary has the same issues now that they had 2 years ago, and you could even argue that they've regressed.
Whether it's the play calling or QB decision making, something is off there as well.
As for the folks who didn't play, it's hard to draw conclusions when there is no explanation. Something smells about his answer regarding Sampson. The man scored four flipping touchdowns in week 1, and he's electric on those swing passes we love to throw.
There is no excuse losing to a miserably bad Florida team that can't get out of their own way.

To me he looks like he wants to cry. I'm sure that's not the case, but that's what I see, he looks completely deflated.
I think this is one of those things where he knows what the team is capable of, but he’s having a hard time getting it out of them. I think he is supremely disappointed not only in the outcome, but the effort, especially defensively.
I for one am so tired of a certain corner back routinely being out of position, continually running his mouth after getting beaten and also giving a BS effort on what should be a 10 yard gain that turns into a 60 yard touchdown. There shouldn’t be many more opportunities for that person to change effort and poor decision making. It’s embarrassing.

Probably dreading some tough decisions he's getting ready to have to make.

THAT'S why you make $9M a year.

I'm with @Sara Clark he looks like he needs a good cry...looks weak...

Put on your big boy pants and get out there and Coach this Team, Man! Mr. Snap & clear needs to GET OVER last Saturday and move FORWARD!

EDIT: I also wonder when we've seen such a "hands-off"/"player lead" description of the Locker Room...yet...you STILL HAVE TO BE THE HEAD COACH and get in there and gets these Kid's ATTENTION!

Numerous times he said we've got to get better quickly....That's a understatement and so many issues it's hard to figure where to start...I bet deep down he knows that. Getting some O linemen back would be a good start.

I can’t buy off on that when he knew he had gaping holes on the oline (and arguably secondary and LB) and failed to address that in the portal. I think you see a better Milton if there’s better run blocking and protection. Currently, teams can rush 4-6 and generally cover the run while backing up the secondary to prevent the chunk plays we feasted on last year. Not knowing your personnel and not addressing it when the portal and NIL is available is a failure that rests solely on the coach. It’s not the fault of Ollie Lane and Dane Davis that they’re group of 5 talent level players (if we’re being generous) forced into playing the SEC.

Portal's full of players that couldn't win the job somewhere else. It's not the end all. It's bargain bin shopping. Consider that 3 of the starters we have on the O line are portal guys with a walk on and a 5th year guy that's just now getting playing time. Vols are hurting at this position for sure, but transfer portal isn't the route to take imo.

EXACTLY! Everything is on the Head Coach, from getting talent to coaching talent. End of story.

Probably dreading some tough decisions he's getting ready to have to make.
I hope a decision that's not tough is benching Hadden. If effort is contagious so is a lack of it(IMO), so it seems like a no brainer to plug in someone younger, and sacrifice the experience, to get 100% effort every play.

With all the Joe questions there was only one at the very end that addressed the tackling. Disappointed a reporter didn't specifically call out that effort by Hadden.

VN Store

Back