Has Schiano Been a Contender for ANY Vacancy, Other Than UT?

I think we need to be careful celebrating too soon. The fact is Schiano could argue that our reaction to the hire is the reason he hasn't been offered another job. Curry is no longer employed with us and in fact would likely support Schiano in any defamation suit against UT. I'm afraid we haven't heard the end of the story on that signed MOU and the best thing that could happen for UT would be Schiano getting offered a HC job.

The MOU WAS NOT executed by all parties neccessary for it to be an enforcable agreement.

"Partially executed" does not count.

Sheesh....

Next time a used car salesman slides a purchase contract under your nose try to get out of there without something like the Sales Manager adding on "delivery fees" and the F&I manager adding on "documentation fees". Currie was no more than the car salesman with Davenport as the Sales Manager and I believe David Miller as the Chief Financial Officer.

BOTH of their signatures are REQUIRED so the MOU was not legally executed.

Specifically, any legal agreement, contract, MOU, or otherwise has a "date of execution" between the parties. Shiano signed, Currie signed, but neither Davenport or Miller signed so whichever would have been the last to sign AND DATE it would have then made the MOU a fully executed document.

But that was not done. Consequently Shiano's MOU is not a fully executed document and it is without a date of execution.

If Shiano sues, he has no legal standing. I really hope UT doesn't just settle if he sues just to make it go away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Memorandum of Understanding is an agreement of the terms to go in an employment contract. It's not an employment contract. Currie is employed by UT and is suspended probably until UT is able to see a clear path to firing for cause or a greatly reduced settlement that allows Currie to walk away. Currie was too damn stupid and/or arrogant to believe his coaching choice and dictatorial philosophy would fly after the last ten years of football disaster.

Historically, that's the way its worked in the past. He was brought in and aligned himself with the side the typically calls the shots. He just didn't foresee the mutiny against the Haslems which was as much the real story than Schiano and OSU. That just made the move stick with the fans and raised the media's eye.

I think we need to be careful celebrating too soon. The fact is Schiano could argue that our reaction to the hire is the reason he hasn't been offered another job. Curry is no longer employed with us and in fact would likely support Schiano in any defamation suit against UT. I'm afraid we haven't heard the end of the story on that signed MOU and the best thing that could happen for UT would be Schiano getting offered a HC job.

No one was knocking on Schianos door after he was fired 4 years ago by TB.

Schiano needs to sue those that tied him to Sandusky. If that's the only reason he hasn't been pursued, that was the beginning of it. I'm sure he's fine with letting that just die out.

Reactions: 1 person
To answer the OP's question, I believe there have been no parties besides UT that have ever mentioned publicly they were pursuing Schiano for a head coaching vacancy.

Reactions: 2 people
12/11/2015 Schiano was hired at Ohio State.
07/12/2016 Testimony was released that he knew about the Sandusky abuse.

I guarantee you that the Buckeyes would not have hired Schiano after the report was released,and if they had tried there would have been an uproar.

Article from the day that the testimony was released.
Ohio State’s Greg Schiano Should Be Fired. Today.
Ohio State’s Greg Schiano Should Be Fired. Today. [OPINION] << CBS Detroit

This is the most misunderstood and/or unknown aspect of the whole mess.

Ohio state benefits from a a few layers of journalistic protection with quasi-clientele like herbstreit doing cleanup and turd polishing at their behalf.

So the news broke with that unsealed depostion like a whimper, or soft groan.

Yet once it broke, woe unto the next idiot willing to offer the tainted man a high profile job.

At that point schiano was the third rail. Ignorant and cursory observation would yield very little of the absolute and explosive potential of some clueless sap like Currie walking up and saying, "Hey you guys, how about this one?"

No one was knocking on Schianos door after he was fired 4 years ago by TB.

Schiano needs to sue those that tied him to Sandusky. If that's the only reason he hasn't been pursued, that was the beginning of it. I'm sure he's fine with letting that just die out.

So sue the whistle blower that ended sandusky's reign of rape? Sue him for giving truthful testimony under oath?

Makes sense.

I bet when Schiano is “ready to speak” about the UT situation, a major hit piece gets written by ESPN. The narrative will continue and the fact he wasn’t on anyone’s radar or his coaching record or past will not be discussed.

Schiano better get "ready to speak" quickly if he is going to, because once Pruitt starts winning this fall, no one will care one bit about the Schiano story anymore

Except that who exactly who he sue if he were to sue for defamation? AS far as I could tell, the University never made any statement that could be seen by any objective observer as defamatory in the least. Any perceived defamation would have to be laid at the feet of individual Twitter users, who are mostly poor schmucks like most of us with no deep pockets to raid.

So sue the whistle blower that ended sandusky's reign of rape? Sue him for giving truthful testimony under oath?

Makes sense.

If Schiano takes issue with McQueary’s version of events he should absolutely sue to clear his name. Thus far all I’ve heard is a weak ass twitter denial.

McQueary was under oath. Schiano’s response was under whelming. So for now I’ll stick with McQueary. However if Schiano can prove he’s incorrect or at least uncertain in his deposition he should absolutely take a legal route. Thus far his silence on the issue is deafening.

Makes sense.

You re not suing him for helping send a child rapist to jail and uncover atrocities. You re suing him for saying you knew about it when you didnt.

Assuming that's the truth.

The point was if Schiano is gonna sue someone for defamation that's gonna prevent him from getting job offers that's the origin of it. Not UT.

It's interesting that he hasn't done that to my knowledge. As I said, I think he'd rather let that dog be.

Last edited:
If Schiano takes issue with McQueary’s version of events he should absolutely sue to clear his name. Thus far all I’ve heard is a weak ass twitter denial.

McQueary was under oath. Schiano’s response was under whelming. So for now I’ll stick with McQueary. However if Schiano can prove he’s incorrect or at least uncertain in his deposition he should absolutely take a legal route. Thus far his silence on the issue is deafening.

Exactly

:thud:The quickest way for Schiano to further shoot his career in the head is to attempt to prevail against UT in a frivolous lawsuit. Would you hire someone who had a history of filing a frivolous lawsuit against someone who had simply considered hiring him??? If he does that, he'd be lucky to ever even being interviewed as a coach anywhere else again would be my prediction. A simple interview turns into a multi million dollar lawsuit? He'd be nuts but you have a class of ambulance chasers I'm sure that will advice him to roll the dice. Good counsel IMO would tell him to let sleeping dogs lie if he ever wants to work again. Now the funny thing is OSU has a hot potato on their hands, they've got him, obviously were ready for him to move on to us, and are on record of what a great guy and coach he is. So how do they get rid of this guy now thathe is like an anchor around their necks with the Penn State thing in his background??? If they terminate him, he files suit against them for wrongful termination since they're on record how great he is!! Lol, what a tangled web we weave once we practice to deceive.

Think about it with some common sense though. Would you consider hiring him after the debacle of the Tennessee fan reaction? Maybe he would've been a candidate SOMEWHERE else before that day, but not after. I'd imagine that ordeal with Tennessee definitely made it harder for him to get a promotion. It probably, at the least, delayed it another year. Just looking at it with some common sense and from a non Tennessee perspective.

I couldn't disagree more. The reaction nationally was to ride to Schiano's defense. To shout from the rooftop how high quality the Schaino hire would have been and how foolish the Tennessee fanbase was being. Tennessee was SLAMMED for it's reaction from everyone outside of Knoxville.

If you are an AD responsible for hiring a winning coach, I am not sure you would let the Tennessee reaction stop you from pulling the trigger on this guy, if you wanted him anyway.

I think the fact that he hasn't gotten any other interest tells us a lot about how other schools value him as a head coach. Kendel Briles got a promotion this past week, even with his connection to Baylor's mess. Why couldn't a coach like Schiano find something better for himself, if he is so good?

There's no debate...Ohio State would have never hired Schiano, if the sworn testimony statement went public, prior to his hiring.

No rationale school would touch him as an HC right now, without fully understand all the potentially legal ramification that could occur one day.

Schiano will keep quiet, he does not want to draw attention to this matter.

I gave you a "Thumbs Up" because you are not an NFL guy. Me either. The NFL is a real detriment to our society. And it's not because of the protest.

It's purpose is to take people away from God and family!!

giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 people
The MOU WAS NOT executed by all parties neccessary for it to be an enforcable agreement.

"Partially executed" does not count.

Sheesh....

Next time a used car salesman slides a purchase contract under your nose try to get out of there without something like the Sales Manager adding on "delivery fees" and the F&I manager adding on "documentation fees". Currie was no more than the car salesman with Davenport as the Sales Manager and I believe David Miller as the Chief Financial Officer.

BOTH of their signatures are REQUIRED so the MOU was not legally executed.

Specifically, any legal agreement, contract, MOU, or otherwise has a "date of execution" between the parties. Shiano signed, Currie signed, but neither Davenport or Miller signed so whichever would have been the last to sign AND DATE it would have then made the MOU a fully executed document.

But that was not done. Consequently Shiano's MOU is not a fully executed document and it is without a date of execution.

If Shiano sues, he has no legal standing. I really hope UT doesn't just settle if he sues just to make it go away.

I think you are missing my point. If Currie (a UT employee at the time) told Schiano that his signature would make it binding, a court could rule in his favor.

Your analogy with the car salesman is good, but actually you have it backwards. Schiano is the car salesman, Currie is buying his services AKA the car. If Currie went and bought a BMW from Schiano and was buying the vehicle for UT, lets say he signed the finance agreement and told Schiano that he had full authority (Vice Chancellor) to buy the car, could UT come back in a week and say Schiano has to take the car back because Davenport did not also sign? And by the way the BMW Currie bought, he also backed the car into a tree and so now the car is only worth 25% of a new car but BMW has to take it back anyway because Currie didn't have authority to buy it??

You don't think THAT would end up in court?

I am no lawyer but I have a basic understanding of the legal system. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Lawsuits get settled all the time because it is cheaper to pay them off than to fight them. If UT is sued it will be made public (FOIA) and if UT is sued there is a very good chance they settle.

Hence my comment to not celebrate too soon.

:thud:The quickest way for Schiano to further shoot his career in the head is to attempt to prevail against UT in a frivolous lawsuit. Would you hire someone who had a history of filing a frivolous lawsuit against someone who had simply considered hiring him??? If he does that, he'd be lucky to ever even being interviewed as a coach anywhere else again would be my prediction. A simple interview turns into a multi million dollar lawsuit? He'd be nuts but you have a class of ambulance chasers I'm sure that will advice him to roll the dice. Good counsel IMO would tell him to let sleeping dogs lie if he ever wants to work again. Now the funny thing is OSU has a hot potato on their hands, they've got him, obviously were ready for him to move on to us, and are on record of what a great guy and coach he is. So how do they get rid of this guy now thathe is like an anchor around their necks with the Penn State thing in his background??? If they terminate him, he files suit against them for wrongful termination since they're on record how great he is!! Lol, what a tangled web we weave once we practice to deceive.

You assume he would otherwise have a chance to get hired at a Power 5 conference but as your comments state, lots of people don't like him so this was likely his 1 shot to get back in. He could sue and win, and he could still get hired at Akron or Georgia State or an up-and-comer. Or if Currey lands another AD job he could get hired.

He also needs to clear his name of the penn state ordeal so he could contend that is the primary purpose of the lawsuit and spin it that way. Either way if he sues, UT will have negative press once more.

VN Store

Back