Has Schiano Been a Contender for ANY Vacancy, Other Than UT?

I’m sure there is something to the thought that all that happened in Knoxville made Schiano’s name fairly toxic, and perhaps programs that may have considered him previously have now backed off. They don’t want to be the team that accepts what we so loudly rejected. With that said, even before the craziness at UT I don’t think his name was on many lists

Reactions: 2 people
I wouldn't automatically say being a co-DC is a strike against someone. Plenty of teams have co-DCs or co-OCs responsible for different things.

It's more the fact that Ohio State brought in a very experienced and successful co-DC that is telling. Most of the time when you see co-DC or co-OC type roles, it's because a team is trying to keep a top-tier position coach, so they add a new title, and give him some more responsibilities to prepare him for that future role. This clearly isn't the case here. Alex Grinch is a guy who already has an established track record as DC and who is generally viewed as better than Schiano.

This is quite a weird situation overall.

It's a direct indictment of Schiano. Makes me think that Urban Meyer's future plans for this DC coaching position at OSU were wrecked when the UT fans so loudly rejected Schiano.

I know Mississippi state wanted him and I heard he was on the short list for Florida State if Taggart has turned them down.

The FSU stuff is mostly hearsay from some fans in my family but they do admit to wanting Pruitt. But I know the Mississippi stuff is real. Fans were so desperate for Pruitt they stalked a different Pruitt on Twitter.

Doubt he was on FSU's short list since their AD let it be known they were going after a black coach.

Edit: To be fair, that could've just been ESPN being themselves but I believe they were the ones reporting that.

Last edited:
I’m sure there is something to the thought that all that happened in Knoxville made Schiano’s name fairly toxic, and perhaps programs that may have considered him previously have now backed off. They don’t want to be the team that accepts what we so loudly rejected. With that said, even before the craziness at UT I don’t think his name was on many lists

Looks like some program would jump at him with the thought being that they would receive all the good publicity for hiring him "ie the good guy".Goes to show he isn't that coveted.Media people are like celebrities, they think that taking a stand on what they perceive as "taking up for the victim" makes them "in the right".This is like most"injustices",people sounding off without knowing the facts about what they are sounding off about. JMO

Reactions: 3 people
I wouldn't automatically say being a co-DC is a strike against someone. Plenty of teams have co-DCs or co-OCs responsible for different things.

It's more the fact that Ohio State brought in a very experienced and successful co-DC that is telling. Most of the time when you see co-DC or co-OC type roles, it's because a team is trying to keep a top-tier position coach, so they add a new title, and give him some more responsibilities to prepare him for that future role. This clearly isn't the case here. Alex Grinch is a guy who already has an established track record as DC and who is generally viewed as better than Schiano.

This is quite a weird situation overall.
Maybe they are preparing for the flood of offers headed towards schiano by bringing in his successor.

Reactions: 1 person
Florida State, Mississippi State, TAMU, UCLA, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State, Nebraska, Ole Miss. All these programs needed HCs, yet none chose Schiano.

Reactions: 9 people
It's a direct indictment of Schiano. Makes me think that Urban Meyer's future plans for this DC coaching position at OSU were wrecked when the UT fans so loudly rejected Schiano.

This is what I'm wondering too. So he just uses the coDC label until CGS finds new work next yr.

I wondered why, if he's soooooo goooood, Ohio St needed another DC? Media and Herbstreit should be questioning this move by Urban, imo.

Think about it with some common sense though. Would you consider hiring him after the debacle of the Tennessee fan reaction? Maybe he would've been a candidate SOMEWHERE else before that day, but not after. I'd imagine that ordeal with Tennessee definitely made it harder for him to get a promotion. It probably, at the least, delayed it another year. Just looking at it with some common sense and from a non Tennessee perspective.

Think about it with some common sense though. Would you consider hiring him after the debacle of the Tennessee fan reaction? Maybe he would've been a candidate SOMEWHERE else before that day, but not after. I'd imagine that ordeal with Tennessee definitely made it harder for him to get a promotion. It probably, at the least, delayed it another year. Just looking at it with some common sense and from a non Tennessee perspective.
Whose list was he on before all that went down?

No one even heard his name being mentioned as a HC candidate before Currie named him.

12/11/2015 Schiano was hired at Ohio State.
07/12/2016 Testimony was released that he knew about the Sandusky abuse.

I guarantee you that the Buckeyes would not have hired Schiano after the report was released,and if they had tried there would have been an uproar.

Article from the day that the testimony was released.
Ohio State’s Greg Schiano Should Be Fired. Today.
Ohio State’s Greg Schiano Should Be Fired. Today. [OPINION] << CBS Detroit

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
While at lunch today, a guy at the next table was talking about Belichick leaving NE and the NY Giants handing him a "blank check." I don't know if true or not as I'm not a NFL guy.

I gave you a "Thumbs Up" because you are not an NFL guy. Me either. The NFL is a real detriment to our society. And it's not because of the protest.

It's purpose is to take people away from God and family!!

We dodged a bullet on that one. Haslam is the dumbest man when it comes to football I have ever seen.

Regarding football, Haslam is dumber than dirt. Bev & Phil need to do everything they can to push him away from the program.

I bet when Schiano is “ready to speak” about the UT situation, a major hit piece gets written by ESPN. The narrative will continue and the fact he wasn’t on anyone’s radar or his coaching record or past will not be discussed.

Reactions: 7 people
I want to hear from the ESPN fanboy and I also want to know why Cleveland HAslam won't hand him the keys to the Browns franchise since they need it and he's so fantastic.

He tried to force the hire, but the G.M. vetoed it. That’s the problem with handing out control.

Has Schiano Been a Condtender for ANY Vacancy, other than UT?

Yes, Walmart in West Columbus offered him a quality control job in the sporting goods department.

VN Store

Back