Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
11/12 9 am

we occasionaly need to be reminded, these guys are not working on our schedule. We've known a timeline for all of this since after the msu game. I don't know why they haven't made an announcement yet, but it still all coincides with the timeline i was given from the beginning. You can be sure somebody involved has a very good reason for the way this is proceeding. I know how it ends up....everything else is just conjecture at this point.

I know it is frustrating, but i've heard nothing that makes me believe anything will happen until after uk. Anything could happen, but that's what i've been told.

Same goes for the gruden info. Nothing has changed.

Reactions: 5 people
11/12 5 pm

answering someone's question eaier.

I've been here all day, i'm straight on the vols side in thinking it will happen.

However, i spoke with someone who is an affiliate of espn who thought they had zero chance and now thinks that there is no way chucky can turn ut down if we have as much $ on the table as rumored.

Reactions: 8 people
11-12-12 7:15pm
I've been MIA for the last few days for work-related reasons. But I'll give you the updated info that I have following the Mizzou game:

I am still solid on Gruden to the Vols as well as Dooley having known he will not return next season for at least 2+ weeks now. Following the MIzzou game, there obviously was a larger uprising from fans and other boosters about why the firing of DD hadnt taken place. The answer that was given to me (from the same person who still holds steadfast to the $6M+/yr offering and acceptance to Gruden) was that the ONLY reason that the firing of DD has not been made public is due ONLY to the fact that Gruden is already on board and locked up 100% (MOU signed to be the next HC). There is no other reason for waiting.
Hart would not risk waiting until the end of the season to make a move IF Gruden were not committed to being here. This also allows Gruden to finish up his MNF obligations for the season.
Don't panic and know that this is still the way it was scripted and is supposed to pan out. Hart has been deliberate in his actions but everything is still on track.
Also, even of you see an announced, "Coach Search" by the university, don't be alarmed. It will be just a formality at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 people
7:39 pm
Ok just got this text from a friend who is connected to boosters. Not that it is shocking news but here it goes.

"Dooley's done boys wrote the check today!
I can tell you this much the checks are wrote and the plane is flying they are wheeling and dealing as we speak"

I just hope they are headed to meet Gruden.

Reactions: 6 people
8:05

timing definitely but the substance still is there. Dooley was informed weeks ago he would not return. Gruden agreement reached in principle. For whatever reason, either hart or gruden or something else, the announcement is being put off.

Before i would've said that the longer it goes, the more nervous we should be. But i feel completely opposite now. If hart feels comfortable waiting, while everyone knows dooley won't be back next season, then he is confident that he will not have to get in the coach search race (like aekansas, kentucky, etc...). It's a good thing since he knows gruden is locked up.

Gruden has stated he wants to finish out mnf. And i still believe he publicly makes it official on mnf--when they are ready to announce.

Timeframe of the happenings is different, but the result will still be the same.

Reactions: 12 people
At 8:30 am today

This is the timeline I've heard of when Gruden will be announced if the deal gets done.

Dooley will be announced as fired on the 26th with his presser. We will announce a head coaching search at that point.

Gruden and Tennessee will want to not have it appear that they have had this deal being worked on while we've had another coach in place. That would look bad for him professionally and for us as a University.

He also doesn't want to have to address being the next coach on MNF but during his last two broadcasts.

December 17th he will be broadcasting live from Nashville...that will be a great night.:good!:

Hope it all goes down as planned.

And then...

Let me also add that the 26th presser is more of a guess. That could be delayed till the start of the next year depending on our bowl situation and holiday scheduling.

To add to that as well when we fire Dooley, if we are eligible for a bowl, look for Chaney to be named interim head coach and will be leading the team during bowl practices.

Reactions: 3 people
At 8:30 am today

And then...

I guess I made that confusing.

The 26th of November presser firing Dooley is not a guess. The December 17th date is not a guess. The date that is a guess is the December 26th presser to introduce Gruden.

That could come later depending on bowl situations and holidays.

Jason La Canfora on NFL.com says that he believes that Jon Gruden is more interested in the Tennessee job than any NFL opening. He was on 106.7 in DC this morning.

Reactions: 18 people
Posted 11/12 @ 9:36

Terms have been agreed upon from what I'm told. I really believe Gruden will be our next head coach. I was told Hart would "unite the fan base" then knock the hire out of the park with Gruden. It seems Vol fans are universally on the same page about Dooley and Gruden.

originally posted by lexvol
here are my honest grudenite thoughts:
1. The news got out way earlier than was intended.
2. The only way to keep gruden from having to answer direct questions about the job is to retain dooley.
3. The only way to keep petrino or any sitting coach from publicly telling ut "no" (even if they weren't approached) is to keep dooley.
4. If it is gruden we are on his announcement time table...which means it makes sense to keep dooley.
5. I think gruden has given a list of demands, and that those have been answered with "yes"

these are my thoughts on the timing, and what has happened to this point.

I could be wrong....but i don't think i am.
11/13

Reactions: 4 people
11/13 Just updating a previous post about the Jason La Canfora comment:

I work in DC - know people who run around in the same circles as JLC and remember him from the Post.
If he said it, he believes it, probably because he's picked it up along the way from his NFL sources.

The exact comment is:

Gruden, I think in the end, maybe the University of Tennessee. I don't see an NFL job opening up thatwould appeal to him and I think the Tennessee job, if anything, University of Tennessee may be where he ends up."

Here's the actual audio of the interview here. Coaching talk at roughly 14:00 mark (exact comment at 14:19)

Reactions: 15 people
Per 24/7 Footballrumormill -

Tennessee - We continue to hear that Jon Gruden and Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy will be serious candidates. We're also hearing some chatter about Louisville's Charlie Strong.

Last edited:
he had a conversation with a friend today...
I heard the conversation ......won't say how.
believe it if you want or don't but I swear it happened..

said UT HAD contacted him and he was not talking to ANYONE about it.....
he did not know anyone could hear.....he doesn't know me....
I will not reveal my source.....

in other words.... he isnt sharing with anyone what he is or is not going to do....I had huge doubts until today....
:peace2::salute:

and there you go

Not precisely Gruden info per se but it does apply if he is hired.

We could possibly have a great nsd with the right hire. Some guys are just looking for a reason to play for Tennessee, Koehler, Bell, North and Green just to name a few. Its possible Ramsey takes another hard look at us too.

With a Gruden type hire.. we would be back. SOON

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
11/13 around 5ish PM

Originally Posted by Magic8Vol:
TIFWIW
My boss is friends with the former oline coach of the bucs who is currently unemployed thanks to the Greg Shiano hiring/Raheem Morris firing. They talk, text and golf regularly in Clearwater area. At least up until all of this Gruden talk started getting hot and heavy. About a month + ago he confirmed JG was talking to a few teams about the possibility of returing to coaching after MNF is over this year. a couple were NFL and one was UT. He wouldnt give much details other than he was seriously considering coaching again next year and UT was being considered. One plus he mentioned with UT over the NFL offers was that the cost of living here was much less and the fact that we have no state income tax made UT very attractive. one week later he confirmed that JG had decided where he wanted to go if things worked out contractually and said that JG met with him and another coach (he wouldnt say who) to gauge their interest in coming with him IF he took the job. I tell you this because two days later, when my boss texted him for an update he politely but firmly informed him that he could no longer talk, text or meet with anyone regarding JG and his future. This was at JG's request and he was very firm about it. Since then he will not take my bosses phone calls, answer texts nothing. My boss read the story from TOS today about 11/26 being JG's last day on MNF and texted him to ask and he would only say that, JG will be with MNF til the end of the year. This is the first time in 3 weeks he has even sent a reply to him regardless of the subject. This doesnt confirm anything regarding UT, only that JG is being very quite about his future and that he is demanding the same from the people around him.

Reactions: 12 people
Around 5:45 11/13/12

Once again. Never have I came here claiming to have a source and I will never tell where I got this info but its Gruden. Dooley will be fired following the Vanderbilt game should we lose or after Kentucky should we win the Vandy game. Gruden has been on board for a few weeks now and all the Heart not wanting to fire Dooley was and is just a smoke screen.

Update: Gruden has the core of his staff ready to hit the ground running when the word is given on Dooley and a few coaches on the current staff will be retained.

Reactions: 25 people
Doc_Vol
05:42 PM Today
Once again. Never have I came here claiming to have a source and I will never tell where I got this info but its Gruden. Dooley will be fired following the Vanderbilt game should we lose or after Kentucky should we win the Vandy game. Gruden has been on board for a few weeks now and all the Heart not wanting to fire Dooley was and is just a smoke screen.

Update: Gruden has the core of his staff ready to hit the ground running when the word is given on Dooley and a few coaches on the current staff will be retained.

06:01 PM Today
Some you have heard already expect JG to stay on at running back coach and possibility of coach Chaney staying on as well. Most of if not all of the defensive stall will be gone. I will try and get some staff specifics. On the offensive side of the ball Chaney is the domino that would have to fall to to loose the core of that group(Chaney, Pittman, Graham) all other coaches would more than likely be replaced.

I like this thread a lot and I want to thank all that contribute to it. Although links to the thread the quote came from would be handy for those of us that want to follow the conversation.

I know much of it comes from the Official JG thread so if that is the root thread perhaps just an abbreviation like "OJG7" or something similar.

Last edited:
I like this thread a lot and I want to thank all that contribute to it. Although links to the thread the quote came from would be handy for those of us that want to follow the conversation.

I know much of it comes from the Official JG thread so if that is the root thread perhaps just an abbreviation like "OJG7" or something similar.

In the quote box, next the the OP's name is an orange > that will take you to the original post. I hesitated to put this, but I thought it added to the thread.

Reactions: 10 people
From Waco Kid 8:25 AM 11/14

here it is from the last page.

Spoke to a friend of mine who works in the athletic office at Florida. She said they got wind last week that it's all but a done deal......and a huge driver behind it is Gruden's wife. Said she loves UT and the area (Capt. Obvious) but she has a loud voice in the room when it comes to the decision, but the Eagles and at least one other NFL team are in play who are going to make a serious push. The speculation on the other team was centered around the Cowboys, Chargers, and believe it or not, the NY Jets

Reactions: 2 people
@Darth_Papaw: @sports180 Jon Gruden's agent was spotted at Fox Den CC with Dave Hart

@Darth_Papaw: Jon Gruden's wife and kids were spotted at Webb School of Knoxville #VFL

@lucasfiasco4: @WillWestWNML heard the Gruden family checking out Webb school today. Mark Richt has lost control of these rumors.

-Gruden-Webb rumors seem to have broken before he was "spotted".

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back