Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JayVols
Are you privy to any of the talk that ESPN's exclusive contract means restrictions on coaching NFL teams to ease fears teams may have giving him the access he is given as a MNF analyst?

Originally Posted by Lexvol
I have heard that it restricts him from coaching in the NFL until 2016, because of the inside info he has had access to regarding their programs.

Reactions: 12 people
11/6

Quotes from Skeeter:

After the Bama loss it looked very bad for Dooley and i thought he was done. Hart will not settle for just anyone thats unproven with the exception of Smart. What people like you fail to realize, so much is out of Harts control. He cant force a big time coach to come here. GRUDEN wants nothing to do with this place in its current state. We couldnt even get Muschamp to take the HC position while he was a dc, all these coaches know whats going on here. Why you think someone like Dooley could get the buyout he has?
For starters we need a Chancellor that cares for athletics. We need the athletic department to be involved with the tutoring of our players so someone like Lanier doesnt slip between the cracks. Tennessee football can support its self financially and then some, but Cheek just takes to much. Its all kinds of little things that need changed. Hopefully the changes start very soon. A lot of important people are really pushing for some changes. Some very prominent boosters have found out recently that money is not all that matters to a coach and now understand some changes need to be made.
I dont know, a few people on the bot really dont care for athletics either. Ive seen this too many times to get my hopes up. Thats why a lot of people around here think Dooley will most likely be the coach next year. If things dont change at the top most feel Hart cant get who he wants and will stick it out with Dooley.

The only 2 people that know for sure is Hart and Gilbert.

11/7/12

We have some powerful check writers that are now wanting change too. Hart has some help. Hamilton would never fight Cheek or anyone else within the administration, Hart will.

Last edited:
Okay - here is what I know:

There has been a lot of information circling about - so hopefully this will clear things up.

We will know a lot more about the direction we are headed next week. There are several things in play but the most immediate and visible would be Mizzou - a loss there could expedite a decision on Dooley.

The BOT meeting has significant impact on the future of football and athletics in general at UT.

There are three sides to what is happening right now regarding Dooley:

1: Boosters - they are ready and have been ready to let Dooley walk. They have the money and are willing to put up the buyout. They have the money and are willing to pay a big time coach. They have been working behind the scenes for a while now getting things set up to hand over to Hart.

2. Hart - He is in a tough spot. He is limited by what he can control. He has been a fan of Dooley's. I think he still is. But he is listening to the Boosters. He will not make a change without having a big name, proven guy to replace Dooley. This has been his stance all along. Are there scenarios where Dooley is retained? Yes, I now believe so.

3. Cheek/University side: This is where things recently got complicated. There are deep issues here that need to be resolved. The UT AD does not have autonomy and they need it. They need help from the admissions/academic side and they need to be in control of their earnings.

Now, let's circle back to Gruden. It was my belief and still is that an agreement had been reached. From what I understand now, this was only regarding years and money. Nothing formally was presented to him.

But since that time, there has been ongoing conversations and specific inquires to the control he would have, the control the AD would have and the issues between the AD and the University side were brought up. This is a major deterrent and from what I understand Gruden has cooled a bit.

Boosters - who are the ones that have orchestrated this whole thing behind the scenes are now realizing it's not just a money issue and even their power is limited because of the stronghold the university side has on the AD side.

So, that is what I understand as of today. There will be lots of questions and very few answers. It's honestly a mess.

We will know more next week.

And as a P.S. - I will not be around for a little while, so I am not just posting this and running. I will be back later today.

Reactions: 8 people
11/7 pm:
Too many empty seats in Neyland last Saturday. I think that is the point of no return.
That's the only info I have gotten from the Athletic department I totally trust. I was told that hart really wants to keep DD but with all the empties he now realizes he has no choice. I feel very confident that a change is going to happen

Reactions: 2 people
LWS on TOS said he believes big money is on the table for the next coach...if they can get the right big name coach to come for that money. IE they won't just throw big money at anyone. He thinks they will aim for someone much higher than an assistant coach (Smart).

He said he never thought in the past TN would do this, but it finally seems everyone is on board with this. He said he expects a new football coach in 2013 and we are ready to pay to get a big time coach.

Reactions: 27 people
Larry,
If Derek loses one more, is he gone? I know Gruden is out and Kirby has moved down. So who are the top 2-3 choices at this point? Strong in the mix you think?

Thanks!

Response from lws...

may not even take a loss.. Strong is consideration but there is no top 2-3 yet. decision had not been made to pursue so not a lot of checking has happened tot his point. just with the rock star

Reactions: 3 people
Kind of hate to post this, but:
I am not spreading a smokescreen and I do not have dozens of sources that I trust to share here.

Ok here it is, this is why I am not as confident as before.

A person that would 100% be involved in it if it happened told me the week between Bama and USCjr that he had read the MOU and that it contained an unprecedented compensation package. He stated it was with Gruden's people. The reason I trust this guy is because I know for sure he would be involved if a MOU was drafted. Sunday night I got a text that he needed to come to my business for a meeting the next morning. Before all parties got here we were talking and I got up the nerve to ask about it (since the MOU conversation was between the owner of my business and he, I was just in the room) and he said unequivocally that Gruden had said no, returned the MOU and offer unsigned. He said it had to do with control and how the relationships between the AD and the University here would never allow the type of control he wants. He then said to the best of his knowledge Gruden is off the table.

Could he be wrong, I hope. I am just not going to go online and post everything I hear from everyone I know. Some are FOS, some want to make things up to feel like they are more important than they are.

I do know this:

1. Money is not at all an issue
2. We apparently at least had some sort of verbal acknowledgement that the figures were acceptable or close
3. The snag was not about money but about control

At this point all I can do is sit back and watch. No one else I know is talking about it at all. When I ask they say negative things. The only positivity I have seen with regards to Gruden since last weekend is on the forum.

I am not a smoke screen lol, I am just a fan that wants better than what we have. I am not too deflated because I will readily admit that although I think Gruden would be a great recruiter and face of the program, I think there are several guys in the NCAA right now that would be better "coaches".

The only thing that was depressing me is all those I know are under the assumption Dooley wins out he is back in 2013. Today some started to get back in the mindset he is gone, but I am not as sure of that as I want to be.

Reactions: 1 person
VQ
Also, a week ago there was plenty of talk regarding Jon Gruden. That talk a week later seems to have died down considerably. No one is suggesting that Gruden has completely lost interest, but it doesn't appear to be where it was and there's just much, much less realistic thought that Gruden would ever end up with the Vols

tumblr_m85d8sM7ZK1qmht0l.gif

Jon Gruden-to-Eagles speculation heats up after report - SI.com

According to a report, Jon Gruden could be the next head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. (AP)

Jon Gruden is eager to return to coaching and could be the next head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles if they continue to falter this season, according to a report from the local Fox affiliate in Philadelphia.

Gruden, a one-time Eagles offensive coordinator, could be the team’s main man if the organization decides to fire Andy Reid.

From Fox29′s Howard Eskin:

“He enjoys working Monday Night Football in the ESPN Monday Night booth, but he is a coach and has the itch. I’m told he wants to go to a team that can win and the key has a quarterback.”

So, Eskin said that puts two teams in the mix, the San Diego Chargers, where Gruden is tight with general manager A.J. Smith, and they have a good quarterback with Phillip Rivers.

“And the Eagles are also a good fit for the Gruden requirements,” Eskin said. “He loves Philadelphia, thinks the Eagles will be a good team next year, and the key here: He likes the backup quarterback, Nick Foles, who he has already worked out while working for ESPN.”

Originally Posted by LWSVOL
don't think it matters as far as Gruden is concerned. his is only "big coaches" name I've heard.

I had Gruden at less than 10% chance to be here up until about a week ago. At that juncture, everyone that I've talked with says he isn't coming so I reduced to less than 5% chance. He is an NFL guy and that is where folks see him going.

this amendment does not address the academic requirements that are the issues between the athletic and academic sides. the BOT meeting had nothing on agenda, to my knowledge, that would address any of that.

those issues are still present. Those issues have built up over 10 years. removing Cheek is only a start to resolving them and it might take years to get where they need to be

Hubbs info

Word is Dooley will not be fired this week since the team still has a bowl game to play for.

The decision to fire him is made and if we win out the next two weeks he will be announced as fired after the Kentucky game.

If we were to lose to Vandy and bowl game is then out of the question he would be fired that subsequent Monday.

Everyone in program very much wants a bowl game for the new coach to come in and get to know the team.

Reactions: 7 people
Dont know if this is out yet or its even been discussed here, but Dooley is out. I dont know when it will be announced but the decision has been made. 99% chance Patterson will not be back next year, he couldnt return if he wanted to.

Curt is done for the year.

Someone just asked Ainge on twitter if he has an idea of a potential replacement and he responded with this..

@JMaRTo_O can't divulge, not gruden ill tell u that

11/11/2012 7:50pm
not going into source names/giving out info but from what i was just told i'm 100% sure chucky is coming now. Thus i no longer need to follow this place with every fiber of my being. Good luck to you all, i will rejoin you for the celebration thread.

dan writes for a living. Might want to hold on to this info. He has sources in the media.

Reactions: 10 people
11/11 around 7:50 PM (sorry, trying to keep up with it all)

Not going into source names/giving out info but from what I was just told I'm 100% sure Chucky is coming now. Thus I no longer need to follow this place with every fiber of my being. Good luck to you all, I will rejoin you for the celebration thread.

Reactions: 7 people
Ainge just said that an announcement will come after the UK game. The reason for the wait is because the coaches we're targeting currently have other jobs and Hart doesn't want to cause a distraction for two football programs.

Also says there is no chance with Jon Gruden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back