Going for 2 Points

I was hopeing he wouldn't go for two, even after the penalty. I had no problem with the OT play calling either, we just didn't execute.

after the penalty, you go for two on the road. defense was gassed. I was for it.

I mean they gave him half distance to goal, so 1.5 yards with Dobbs.

Reactions: 1 person
Was yelling to go for 2 before the penalty. Our D looked pretty bad on A&M's prior 2 possessions and the offense was a turnover waiting to happen. When the penalty happened would have been zero doubt in my mind to try for 2.

That being said, CBJ would have been crucified if he didn't get it but not by me

Jones has no balls and every week he shows us again that he has no balls. Hell, yea, you go for it. You make a yard, you have a huge chance of winning the game! You're trailing by 14 with 3.5 minutes left, and suddenly you can win the game by getting a yard? Even with 40 seconds left, no brainer for me. The only question would be, do you run the ball up the middle or go wide with Dobbs. Of course Jones made the safe call--he always does.

Didn't you say you didn't watch this game?

Not upset either way. Can understand playing for overtime, would've fully supported decision to go for two

Jones has no balls and every week he shows us again that he has no balls. Hell, yea, you go for it. You make a yard, you have a huge chance of winning the game! You're trailing by 14 with 3.5 minutes left, and suddenly you can win the game by getting a yard? Even with 40 seconds left, no brainer for me. The only question would be, do you run the ball up the middle or go wide with Dobbs. Of course Jones made the safe call--he always does.

Every week the same rants from you. Your only reason to be on here is obviously to trash all UT sports and coaches. Sad.....

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't you say you didn't watch this game?

change the situation on the field? You make one yard, you have an excellent chance of winning the game. Let's admit the obvious about Jones: He has shown time and time again when a game is there to be won if you are willing to be aggressive--with one first down, or one yard today--he always gets squeamish.

1st of all proud of our boys and coaches for not giving up.... now when we scored and they jumped offsides on the extra point with 40 seconds left... I felt we should have gone for 2pt conversion then. We killed them up the middle all game long and John Kelly could have punched it in I believe. It's in hindsight now...but I was screaming it at the TV when it happened. What do you guys think? I will hang up and listen.haha

Going for two would have been a mistake. If we already had a loss or two on the season maybe we roll the dice. Being undefeated at the time and calling a high risk play instead of taking an almost guaranteed tie and overtime would have been bad coaching.

I didn't think about going for 2 until the flag got thrown, just because of how TN was banged up and had momentum at that point, but that's a really tough call to make. They make it, and he gets called a hero; they don't and half the people here would want him fired.

I'm no believer in moral victories, but the fact that they were down again and turned the ball over that many times and still didn't quit shows a lot about the players and the coaches as well. If their goal is to be a playoff team and win it all, they likely have to win out (including SECCG) which means their backs are against the wall the rest of the season. But, given how they play when being behind that's not a bad situation to be in. :)

1st of all proud of our boys and coaches for not giving up.... now when we scored and they jumped offsides on the extra point with 40 seconds left... I felt we should have gone for 2pt conversion then. We killed them up the middle all game long and John Kelly could have punched it in I believe. It's in hindsight now...but I was screaming it at the TV when it happened. What do you guys think? I will hang up and listen.haha

It's not an easy decision, but I actually agree. The only reason I agree is because of how fast our defensive players were dropping. We were short handed defensively already and by overtime, we just ran out of gas

Going for two would have been a mistake. If we already had a loss or two on the season maybe we roll the dice. Being undefeated at the time and calling a high risk play instead of taking an almost guaranteed tie and overtime would have been bad coaching.

One could argue that the risk was greater going into overtime as opposed to gaining 1 yard when your offense is rolling

I felt good with either decision. OT I thought we had them. 2 pt conversion the same.

Yeah, I thought so as well, but understiid the reason n to as we had all the momentum and felt they would be somewhat demoralized. So credit to a&m.

Not second guessing he. Coached a brilliant game. Hard to overcome all those turnovers and injuries but they almost did

One could argue that the risk was greater going into overtime as opposed to gaining 1 yard when your offense is rolling

I just don't get that argument. 2pt conversions are only converted about 42% of the time historically. If you asked 100 division 1 coaches to make that call in that position, 97 would take the pat. 2 of the other 3 that tried for two would not have converted the attempt based on the percentages.

I would think taking an offense that was rolling like we were in to overtime would be a good thing. With that said, I can see where the defense being beat up like it was would make someone think about trying it there. Had he went for two and said he did it due to our defensive injuries, I could have lived with it even if it didn't work.

I just don't get that argument. 2pt conversions are only converted about 42% of the time historically. If you asked 100 division 1 coaches to make that call in that position, 97 would take the pat. 2 of the other 3 that tried for two would not have converted the attempt based on the percentages.

I would think taking an offense that was rolling like we were in to overtime would be a good thing. With that said, I can see where the defense being beat up like it was would make someone think about trying it there. Had he went for two and said he did it due to our defensive injuries, I could have lived with it even if it didn't work.

A penalty moving the ball to the 1 yd line definitely raises that success percentage. Moreover, we had the momentum and you can't measure that.

That said, I am not mad at Butch for kicking. It felt good to tie the game and breathe for a minute. Just saying I would have gone for 2.

Here's the argument:

You're 42% doesn't apply because we had half the distance due to the penalty.

Our defenders were dropping like flies and we had no depth left due to injuries. So you have to consider going for the win.

With that said, I wouldn't have faulted him either way

Here's the argument:

You're 42% doesn't apply because we had half the distance due to the penalty.

Our defenders were dropping like flies and we had no depth left due to injuries. So you have to consider going for the win.

With that said, I wouldn't have faulted him either way

Good argument. I'm sure they thought about it at some point during the drive and decided the kick was best. I don't know where to find stats for 2 pt conversion % when you are on 1 1/2 yard line, but below are the stats for converting when you have 1 yard to go and 2 yards to go on 3rd and 4th down plays. Based on these numbers, it would have still been a huge gamble to have picked up the needed yards for the score compared to the 99% guarantee to tie with a kick.

Yards to Go Probability of 1st Down

1 64.1%

2 58.2%

I would have loved to seen roll out right then throw back to the left. Chavis would have never seen it coming

This decision convinces me that there is no situation and under no circumstances where we go for 2. Heres why I say that: I wasn't overly impressed with our defensive play on those last two A&M drives...we were very fortunate to knock the ball out and avoid a TD. We don't have home field advantage. We hadn't held the game lead in the entire game. We had the ball on/near the one after the penalty. Kamara is playing like a rock star. WTF else could you want? I'd rather lose playing to win.

VN Store

Back