George Whitfield: Jarrett Guarantano is "thrilled" to be in Tennessee's new offense

It's more of a commentary on Chryst's poise, decision-making, and experience. Guarantano is more likely to have a meltdown and we can't afford that. Just my opinion. Isn't that what we're here for?

Hard to agree with this, IMO. If Chryst’s poise and decision making were that good, he’d never have lost his starting spot to begin with.

Reactions: 3 people
Hard to agree with this, IMO. If Chryst’s poise and decision making were that good, he’d never have lost his starting spot to begin with.

Got beat out by a true freshman. No way that happens against a sophomore. :)

I don't think Guarantano is our guy. This team has no margin for error and Guarantano brings too much instability to a team that has a surplus of instability.

You could make an argument that Guarantano has a higher ceiling but he's also more of a liability. We can't afford any further liabilities this year.

Chryst will be our guy. If Guarantano transfers so be it. Let's win now.

Exactly!! Win now. We know what we getting from JG. New coach coming he want a qb to win. Its a reason why coach bringing in grad transfers and juco players.. Nobody aint promised a spot. Chryst start week one

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly!! Win now. We know what we getting from JG. New coach coming he want a qb to win. Its a reason why coach bringing in grad transfers and juco players.. Nobody aint promised a spot. Chryst start week one

16/33 141 yards 1 TD 1 INT 4.3 ypa 88.32 passer rating against a defense whose opponents averaged a 159.86 passer rating. And that wasn’t even his worst game last year.

Not exactly my definition of “a qb to win.”

First time Keller DOESN’T try to force the ball to B-JO in triple coverage, GreazeyUncle renounces Chrystianity. :)

Reactions: 8 people
16/33 141 yards 1 TD 1 INT 4.3 ypa 88.32 passer rating against a defense whose opponents averaged a 159.86 passer rating. And that wasn’t even his worst game last year.

Not exactly my definition of “a qb to win.”

That dont matter his record is 11-2 as a starter that says alot. I just dont think JG showed enough last year to guarantee him a starting job. Pruitt wants a guy thats going to win. You guys fail to realize that Pruitt no what he getting out of JG. He scouted this team last year and u see what that Alabama Defense did to us. If there wasnt a new coach then i would say JG would be a guarantee starter but u have to factor new coach he is like a GM he want his players and especially when u talking about the QB position. No shade on JG but it is what it is.

JG will be the man in 2018 and 2019 if he remains healthy.

That dont matter his record is 11-2 as a starter that says alot. I just dont think JG showed enough last year to guarantee him a starting job. Pruitt wants a guy thats going to win. You guys fail to realize that Pruitt no what he getting out of JG. He scouted this team last year and u see what that Alabama Defense did to us. If there wasnt a new coach then i would say JG would be a guarantee starter but u have to factor new coach he is like a GM he want his players and especially when u talking about the QB position. No shade on JG but it is what it is.

It does matter. He was playing with a team which has been ranked each year he was there. Tennessee had 3 walk-on freshmen Olinemen playing at the end of the 2017 season.

Hunter Johnson just announced he is transferring from Clemson. Remember he was originally committed to us. I wonder if he is in play?

Reactions: 2 people
That dont matter his record is 11-2 as a starter that says alot.

Posted this before, but...that 11-2 as a starter stat is insanely misleading.

7 of those wins came against teams with a combined record of 25-63. For teams like Stanford fielded in 2016 and 2017, those are gimme games.

In 2 of those wins he's getting credit for (2016 UNC and 2017 UCLA), he appeared in a total of about 2 and a half quarters (Was injured in the 2nd quarter of the UNC game and 1st quarter of the UCLA game).

So really it's more like he's 9-2. And 7 of those wins were against pretty bad teams who Stanford had clearly outclassed talent wise.

Put JG on that team and there’s no way he does any worse than Chryst did.

I just dont think JG showed enough last year to guarantee him a starting job. Pruitt wants a guy thats going to win. You guys fail to realize that Pruitt no what he getting out of JG. He scouted this team last year and u see what that Alabama Defense did to us. If there wasnt a new coach then i would say JG would be a guarantee starter but u have to factor new coach he is like a GM he want his players and especially when u talking about the QB position. No shade on JG but it is what it is.

Bama’s defense did that to a lot of teams last year.

You’re acting like our coaches came to Knoxville and made it a mission to go get Chryst, but that’s not exactly how it happened. We needed to add another QB to our roster and Chryst was a guy who was available and interested.

We’ll see how things work out. I think both will start at one point or another in the season. It’s just interesting game to me how so many people play up the 11-2 thing despite how poorly Chryst played at Stanford and how bad most of the teams he played were.

Reactions: 4 people
Of course you are wrong about this too.

I named several times you have been wrong about qbs. Why so quiet now?

Video doesn't lie so how am I wrong?....And the only thing you were right about was I didn't think Dobbs was SEC quality of a QB...I was wrong on that one I admit it...And I am never quiet, I just have a life and don't sit on here 24/7 like You :yes:

Video doesn't lie so how am I wrong?....And the only thing you were right about was I didn't think Dobbs was SEC quality of a QB...I was wrong on that one I admit it...And I am never quiet, I just have a life and don't sit on here 24/7 like You :yes:

An hour after I posted my response you made several post including in this thread. So stop with the onhereall day stuff. You are here as much as I am.

You were wrong about all I posted.

You still think JG is not " a SEC qb?" He definitely is.

You still like Worley and QD over Dobbs?

You still think QD passes the ball better than JD and JG?

All wrong. You haven't been right on a QB's talent or the qb competitions yet.

That's what Butch failed to do. He couldn't adapt his offense to his personnel.

By year four, they were all offered by him. I can't help but ask the question, "why did he offer scholarships to players who didn't fit his system?"

Adapting to your personals' strengths and weaknesses should only be to a degree. If you have to significantly change your offense year to year to accommodate your players, you're going to fail.

Last edited:
Ok did We watch the same game?...Because the game I watched and just watched replays of about 7 times show the defender deflect the ball...Perfect pass?...Really? ..Watch it for yourself. 2017 USC vs Tennessee - Final 1:13 with Radio Commentary - YouTube

We evidently didn’t, since you’re claiming the ball was deflected when it clearly wasn’t. I’ve seen that footage and I’ve seen footage that shows the play from the back of the endzone, which clearly shows that while Lammons has Brandon well-covered (because he and Callaway didn’t execute the rub route properly), he did not touch the pass.....and that the pass was indeed perfectly thrown by Guarantano and it went straight through Brandon’s arms.

I’ve had this discussion more than once with Brandon’s uncle who posts on here, and EVEN HE has never claimed that the ball was deflected....probably because it wasn’t.

Also, you just gonna stick by the claim that “JG choked”, even though the video you posted shows him very poised, just walking the offense down the field some 75 yards or so in about 30-35 seconds on that last drive, before that perfect pass to Johnson?

Reactions: 6 people
We evidently didn’t, since you’re claiming the ball was deflected when it clearly wasn’t. I’ve seen that footage and I’ve seen footage that shows the play from the back of the endzone, which clearly shows that while Lammons has Brandon well-covered (because he and Callaway didn’t execute the rub route properly), he did not touch the pass.....and that the pass was indeed perfectly thrown by Guarantano and it went straight through Brandon’s arms.

I’ve had this discussion more than once with Brandon’s uncle who posts on here, and EVEN HE has never claimed that the ball was deflected....probably because it wasn’t.

Also, you just gonna stick by the claim that “JG choked”, even though the video you posted shows him very poised, just walking the offense down the field some 75 yards or so in about 30-35 seconds on that last drive, before that perfect pass to Johnson?

Nice series of photos here showing the ball hitting his hands.

VolQuest.com - Brandon Johnson wishes he had final play back, hopes for another chance

Reactions: 5 people

Who is this Vol Miami guy. Ive been saying the same thing from the when that play happens. People on here always say the ball when through his hands that was good defense. Also JG through the ball so late. If he throw that ball when brandon break that route its a touchdown. That should have been more of a anticipation throw. Throwing to that spot but he waited to late and he gave time for the DB to make a play. The play was screwed from the beginning Callaway didnt know how to line up. Brandon had to work with guys all year on where to be at on the field. Its alot that u guys dont know. Brandon was practically the wr coach. LOL Im dead ass serious.

Who is this Vol Miami guy. Ive been saying the same thing from the when that play happens. People on here always say the ball when through his hands that was good defense. Also JG through the ball so late. If he throw that ball when brandon break that route its a touchdown. That should have been more of a anticipation throw. Throwing to that spot but he waited to late and he gave time for the DB to make a play. The play was screwed from the beginning Callaway didnt know how to line up. Brandon had to work with guys all year on where to be at on the field. Its alot that u guys dont know. Brandon was practically the wr coach. LOL Im dead ass serious.

Even if everything you say were true, it still comes down to this: all Brandon had to do was close his hands a little quicker, and catch the ball.

DMIK_-HV4AABuxz.jpg

You asked in a thread a few weeks ago why Brandon hasn't gotten the recognition like JJ and MC. If he'd made this play and won the game for the team, he'd have been well on his way to that level of respect.

Reactions: 4 people
Even if everything you say were true, it still comes down to this: all Brandon had to do was close his hands a little quicker, and catch the ball.

DMIK_-HV4AABuxz.jpg

You asked in a thread a few weeks ago why Brandon hasn't gotten the recognition like JJ and MC. If he'd made this play and won the game for the team, he'd have been well on his way to that level of respect.

It. Was. Right. There. Right fuggin there. You could have caught that ball JP.

It. Was. Right. There. Right fuggin there. You could have caught that ball JP.

Ha! I don't know, brother. Two things might have kept me from it:

1 - I might not have tried too hard to close my hands on it--I heard it really hurts to catch a JG pass.

and

2 - I'd have been about 5 steps back behind the USCe defender, trying not to spill my beer.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back