George Whitfield: Jarrett Guarantano is "thrilled" to be in Tennessee's new offense

[/B]
I have no doubt Chryst comes in and takes the job...He has played in this style offense for years...Plus he is just a better QB.

Lmao. You are always wrong about the quarterbacks. You are again.

Chryst won't play.

How is he better? He has never even had 1000 yard season or multiple 200 yard games in a season. He has never beat a good team.

:crazy::eek:lol:

Last edited:
[/B]
I have no doubt Chryst comes in and takes the job...He has played in this style offense for years...Plus he is just a better QB.

I’m not convinced a guy who couldn’t win the job in a conference that doesn’t play defense can do anything but be a backup here. JMO

Reactions: 3 people
I knew when we saw a talent and playmaker like Evan Berry pretty much confined to returning kickoffs for years!!! How does that happen in any other program in the entire country????? I kept waiting for him to be used as an offensive surprise against UF, UGA, or Bama of course which NEVER occurred. One needs to define how poorly Butch Jones and his staff performed as a whole with the talent they had one hand no better than the career of Evan Berry at UT. To the credit of Evan and his entire family, no one complained about in public. What class and love they must have for UT. To illustrate my point, you had some kids on The Hill during this same period of time who were routinely targeted as a receiver that dropped about as many balls as they ever caught during their entire career, and Evan Berry got less playing time watching that caliber of player on the field in front of him.
While I understand when we had Smith, Malone, and Jennings at receiver, and Hurd and kamara at running back we had talent on the offense, but you can't tell me you can't put Evan in on some running or receiving plays and just let him run past people. Hed be perfect on a screen pass imo.

Reactions: 1 person
While I understand when we had Smith, Malone, and Jennings at receiver, and Hurd and kamara at running back we had talent on the offense, but you can't tell me you can't put Evan in on some running or receiving plays and just let him run past people. Hed be perfect on a screen pass imo.

I had the same convictions about Tyler Byrd playing defense.

It disgusts me what that team couldve been with coaching.

And teaching...from the various position groups. Gillespie and maybe Strip seemed to carry their weight in that department but Weinke is getting buzz for being all out and Rocker is a no doubt upgrade. Teaching the players basic fundamentals until it was second nature...then continually refreshing it whilst allowing football intelligence to develop was a foreign concept.

I don't dispute you, but it also has a lot to do with scheming to your strengths. That is squarely on the coaches to figure out.

I remember in Lane Kiffin's last year at Bama, an ESPN announcer during a game said that the preceding year, Bama ran a pro-style b/c of the QB and the next year (with a freshman QB) a read-option because of the QB. I'm not a Kiffin fan (largely b/c of his immaturity), but his ability to adapt to the strengths of his players is what ALL coaches should try and do.

Kiffin did what he was told.

I’m not convinced a guy who couldn’t win the job in a conference that doesn’t play defense can do anything but be a backup here. JMO

And you shouldn’t be imo. Chryst was brought here to push Guarantano to be better and eventually be JG’s backup, since JG is the only D1/SEC caliber qb on the roster. If JG somehow doesn’t respond, doesn’t elevate his play and take hold of the starting job, then we’ve got an experienced upperclassman QB who is light years better than McBride and who gives a chance to win by being able to manage the games. Those are the calculations for bringing Chryst in imho.

Reactions: 4 people
And you shouldn’t be imo. Chryst was brought here to push Guarantano to be better and eventually be JG’s backup, since JG is the only D1/SEC caliber qb on the roster. If JG somehow doesn’t respond, doesn’t elevate his play and take hold of the starting job, then we’ve got an experienced upperclassman QB who is light years better than McBride and who gives a chance to win by being able to manage the games. Those are the calculations for bringing Chryst in imho.

Spot on, KB. Thanks for laying it out so clearly.

Reactions: 3 people

I don't think Guarantano is our guy. This team has no margin for error and Guarantano brings too much instability to a team that has a surplus of instability.

You could make an argument that Guarantano has a higher ceiling but he's also more of a liability. We can't afford any further liabilities this year.

Chryst will be our guy. If Guarantano transfers so be it. Let's win now.

I don't think Guarantano is our guy. This team has no margin for error and Guarantano brings too much instability to a team that has a surplus of instability.

You could make an argument that Guarantano has a higher ceiling but he's also more of a liability. We can't afford any further liabilities this year.

Chryst will be our guy. If Guarantano transfers so be it. Let's win now.

So the guy who was a worse passer with a better team in a bad conference brings stability? :ermm:

People say some really dumb stuff on here.

It's riskier to start a guy who arrived in the fall. And yes this will be a new offense for him. We are not running Stanford's offense.

It's riskier to start a guy with one year left over the guy with three who already had a better season than Chryst has ever had.

So the guy who was a worse passer with a better team in a bad conference brings stability? :ermm:

People say some really dumb stuff on here.

It's riskier to start a guy who arrived in the fall. And yes this will be a new offense for him. We are not running Stanford's offense.

It's riskier to start a guy with one year left over the guy with three who already had a better season than Chryst has ever had.

It's more of a commentary on Chryst's poise, decision-making, and experience. Guarantano is more likely to have a meltdown and we can't afford that. Just my opinion. Isn't that what we're here for?

Chryst won't play.

How is he better? He has never even had 1000 yard season or multiple 200 yard games in a season. He has never beat a good team.

Name one time I've been wrong about a QB?...Just once

Chryst won't play.

JG has only beaten Southern Miss in his career and only come close to winning one other game which he choked with 4 chances at the goal line....And he's better how?

JG has only beaten Southern Miss in his career and only come close to winning one other game which he choked with 4 chances at the goal line....And he's better how?

JG “choked”? He threw literally a perfect pass on 4th down that Brandon Johnson let go through his arms. This was after JG, making his first collegiate start ever, with Butch Jones as his head coach, had taken the Vols downfield and into scoring position by completing 4 of 5 passes for 72 yards in less than :30. If you’re gonna make such a silly comment, at least try to be somewhat factually accurate.

Don’t know if he’ll be better than grad transfer/senior Keller Chryst, who played on some very good Stanford teams that won with a power running game and great defense. But the opinions of most who cover the Vols seems to be that JG will win the job and that Chryst was brought here for insurance/to provide depth as JG’s backup.

FWIW, JG, playing on an awful Vols team behind a horrific OL as a freshman, has a higher career completion percentage and a better yards per attempt than senior Chryst who was never asked to do more than manage a very run-heavy offense.

I will say JG looked far better in the spring game in decision making and accuracy plus getting the ball out looked a little better. I think he can be productive if the OL gives him a chance always the key to QB efficiency is OL play.

And teaching...from the various position groups. Gillespie and maybe Strip seemed to carry their weight in that department but Weinke is getting buzz for being all out and Rocker is a no doubt upgrade. Teaching the players basic fundamentals until it was second nature...then continually refreshing it whilst allowing football intelligence to develop was a foreign concept.
I haven’t seen much about Weinke. What is being said?

It's more of a commentary on Chryst's poise, decision-making, and experience. Guarantano is more likely to have a meltdown and we can't afford that. Just my opinion. Isn't that what we're here for?
JG already has more 200 yard games.
he completed 65% vs SEC teams and 62% on the year.
Chryst has never even hit 57%.
3 years and never even a 1000 yard season.
All vs PAC12.

What poise and decision making does that show? He can throw short passes and hand off to Heisman running backs. That is all he has shown.

Name one time I've been wrong about a QB?...Just once

Maybe I'm wrong but . . .

Did you not think Dobbs was a not "a SEC qb."

Didn't you like Worley over Dobbs?

Didn't you like Dormady over Dobbs?

Didn't you say Dormady was a better passer than Dobbs?

Did you not say Dormady was a better passer than JG?

Don't you also think JG is "not a SEC qb?"

Or did I mix you up with someone else?

Hey let's just try to get Jalen Hurts to transfer here since wins are all on the qb. He is great huh?

And how is a perfect pass that was dropped after a great drive down the field in the first start "choking?"

I haven’t seen much about Weinke. What is being said?

Forget which recruit it was but he observed the practices and was particularly impressed with his attention to detail and fire. That’s a kid who hasn’t signed on yet. Read other articles about the new staff and he’s frequently mentioned.

Why on earth would Chryst agree to that? Transfer to a struggling SEC program to be a backup? You really think that’s the plan Chryst signed up for? You’ve got to be kidding.

Why on earth would Chryst agree to that? Transfer to a struggling SEC program to be a backup? You really think that’s the plan Chryst signed up for? You’ve got to be kidding.

How many options did he have? It’s stay at Stanford and sit, or transfer for an OPPORTUNITY to play. That’s what he “signed up for” by transferring here.

VN Store

Back