George Whitfield: Jarrett Guarantano is "thrilled" to be in Tennessee's new offense

Yeah I'd like to see the Original Poster make that catch..... Lol..... The South Carolina game shouldn't have had you come down to Brandon making that catch anyways. So to blame Brandon for that is ridiculous.

Also, to throw a personal jab at a fellow poster (who happens to be his uncle) is even more of a crap move.

Simmer down Francis! There’s history going on here. Feel free to put him under your wing as soon as you actually know something. Namely that he trashes JG in the same vein that you IMAGINE we trash his cousin’s son.

Reactions: 3 people
Simmer down Francis! There’s history going on here. Feel free to put him under your wing as soon as you actually know something. Namely that he trashes JG in the same vein that you IMAGINE we trash his cousin’s son.

Well I do know that. Which is also ridiculous. Maybe Griz should watch his nephews video I just posted. That shows how a person should be. He even gave props to JG.

Well I do know that. Which is also ridiculous. Maybe Griz should watch his nephews video I just posted. That shows how a person should be. He even gave props to JG.

Brandon’s been nothing but class. Can’t choose your family.

Reactions: 2 people
I am not mis-characterizing your comment. I was a poster in the thread you and Griz were going back and forth on.

I am however stating that it is ridiculous for you to bring up this one situation on why Brandon isn't viewed as a great receiver like Callaway. Callaway had one spectacular catch last year against Georgia Tech. After that he wasn't really a factor.

Brandon has more receiving yards then Callaway and was highly underused last year. He is our most sure handed receiver and part of the reason we stayed in some games. So Griz is right it's ridiculous he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Attached are his actual stats.

But Greazy doesn't think it's ridiculous that Brandon hasn't yet gotten that level of recognition. I mean, he wishes he had, but he agrees that Brandon hasn't had a home run play yet.

Don't take my word for it; look at Greazy's own words.
Here's the exchange he and I had about a month ago, where we agree entirely:

Brandon is a talented young man, and a solid teammate.

I don't think anyone is actually overlooking him.

The one thing Brandon hasn't yet had that Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway have, is the home run play. Like Jauan's sideline catch for a TD vs Florida, or his hail mary reception against UGa. Like Marquez' punt return for a TD against Tenn Tech, or his 2-TD night against Georgia Tech.

Brandon had a game kind of like that against UMass, but it was UMass...and we went on to pretty much tank the season, making the whole campaign forgettable.

So don't despair, man, he's a very good receiver. He just hasn't yet had the eye-popping, "pick up the team and carry them on my back to victory against a key rival" kind of game some of our other lads have.

Here's hoping this season, he will.
Thanks for your honest assessment. I agree with you. Butch never dialed up any homerun plays for him last season. I hated the way they used him last season, but I was greatful that he got a opportunity. They didnt dial up any home run plays for him. When they get inside the 20 they always take him out and i never understood that. This a new staff so lets see what happens.

Oh, and I didn't bring up the last play of the USCe game in this thread. Someone else did. And then another person included those photos. I just linked them and talked about what it would've meant for Brandon (and us) if he'd caught that ball.

Wasn't blaming him for the loss, at all. I was pretty clear to say that. Was only saying, if he HAD caught that ball, that might've been the kind of home run play to put him in the spotlight for Vol fans' adulation, jump-starting his "legend".

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
JP may be guilty of many things - fraud, not cleaning the garage like his wife asks, bad Diana Ross impersonations and the possible cause of occasional middle eastern conflicts but... he definitely, absolutely, wouldn't take jabs at one of our guys.

May be his only redeeming quality. 👀

The defender actually pulled his arm. Tough to catch that way.

No, that’s just not what happened. Tight coverage, didn’t interfere....tough angle, ball coming in hot (by necessity), Brandon just couldn’t quite handle it. No need to “see” things that didn’t happen.

Reactions: 1 person
JP may be guilty of many things - fraud, not cleaning the garage like his wife asks, bad Diana Ross impersonations and the possible cause of occasional middle eastern conflicts but... he definitely, absolutely, wouldn't take jabs at one of our guys.

May be his only redeeming quality. 👀

I'm pretty sure it is my only one.

p.s. I just put your wallet up for sale on e-bay. If you hurry, you can get it for less than $50.

Last edited:
But Greazy doesn't think it's ridiculous that Brandon hasn't yet gotten that level of recognition. I mean, he wishes he had, but he agrees that Brandon hasn't had a home run play yet.

Don't take my word for it; look at Greazy's own words.
Here's the exchange he and I had about a month ago, where we agree entirely:

Oh, and I didn't bring up the last play of the USCe game in this thread. Someone else did. And then another person included those photos. I just linked them and talked about what it would've meant for Brandon (and us) if he'd caught that ball.

Wasn't blaming him for the loss, at all. I was pretty clear to say that. Was only saying, if he HAD caught that ball, that might've been the kind of home run play to put him in the spotlight for Vol fans' adulation, jump-starting his "legend".

Maybe I got a little to fired up..... Lol it happens. Plus I usually agree with most of your posts.

Yeah I'd like to see the Original Poster make that catch..... Lol..... The South Carolina game shouldn't have had you come down to Brandon making that catch anyways. So to blame Brandon for that is ridiculous.

Also, to throw a personal jab at a fellow poster (who happens to be his uncle) is even more of a crap move.

Nobody blamed Brandon for the loss, even though a perfectly thrown football went through his hands....tough catch due to the DB with tight coverage and the circumstances of the game being on the line. But nobody is saying the loss was on Brandon, because it wasn’t....just that after a pretty solid game, especially on the last drive, that he could’ve been a “hero” by catching the game-winner.

JG on the hand.....despite executing play after play on that last drive, has been called a “choker” among other things. Evidently, according to plenty on here, JG was the reason we went 4-8 last year.

Nobody blamed Brandon for the loss, even though a perfectly thrown football went through his hands....tough catch due to the DB with tight coverage and the circumstances of the game being on the line. But nobody is saying the loss was on Brandon, because it wasn’t....just that after a pretty solid game, especially on the last drive, that he could’ve been a “hero” by catching the game-winner.

JG on the hand.....despite executing play after play on that last drive, has been called a “choker” among other things. Evidently, according to plenty on here, JG was the reason we went 4-8 last year.

This makes sense. Also, I don't think JG is a choker. I do however believe he needs to work on some things, but don't all players. Hope he comes around with his decision making a release. He looked a lot faster running this year in the O&W game.

No problem, it happens.

You seem like maybe you have a personal investment in Brandon. Family member? Friend?

Nope not at all. Just think he is a better player then he gets credit for (Catches a lot of passes). Just like I think if Palmer will learn how to catch a ball he will be a good player.(Gets to much hype)

I am not mis-characterizing your comment. I was a poster in the thread you and Griz were going back and forth on.

I am however stating that it is ridiculous for you to bring up this one situation on why Brandon isn't viewed as a great receiver like Callaway. Callaway had one spectacular catch last year against Georgia Tech. After that he wasn't really a factor.

Brandon has more receiving yards then Callaway and was highly underused last year. He is our most sure handed receiver and part of the reason we stayed in some games. So Griz is right it's ridiculous he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Attached are his actual stats.

People are just applying the logic of Grizz’s arguments against JG to Brandon to show that it’s not exactly a fair arguments.

As for Brandon, he had better stats than Callaway and was arguably more consistent, but he also had fewer notable/explosive plays in meganingful games and isn’t quite as naturally physically gifted as Callaway. That’s why Callaway gets more hype. None of that means that Brandon won’t have the better season this year though.

If they would have played like they did on that last minute drive all fame we would have won by 3 scores. Instead we ran the conservative butch offense that kept everything close until either the other team blows us out or we make it a last minute game. Most absurd coaching I've ever seen.

Butch just wasn't creative enough.

His constant use of coach speak and slogans was an indication of that. He struggled answering direct or uncomfortable questions that required to have some thought put into them.

Not saying he was dumb or anything, just didn't seem to be his strong suit. He seemed to have a comfort zone in everything he did and refused to get out of it.

He justified the dumb comment many times During his time at Tennessee.

I thought Guarantano looked better in the spring game.

He did look better and we should expect him to continue to look better.

We could be witnessing a Crompton-like turnaround. People underestimate the significance of a quality QB coach. JG about to surprise a lot of people.

I understand why Callaway get the accolades and i get it. He did have that signature game that i wish brandon can have. I think with this new staff there going to use Brandon alot more this year. Brandon is going to be ready.. He is in south florida training with his cousin Ocho Cinco and AB also he working out with NFL corners..All feet work and route running...

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I understand why Callaway get the accolades and i get it. He did have that signature game that i wish brandon can have. I think with this new staff there going to use Brandon alot more this year. Brandon is going to be ready.. He is in south florida training with his cousin Ocho Cinco and he working out with Antonio Brown as well and other NFL corners..All feet work and route running...

That's awesome to hear. Hoping for a big year for Brandon. And all the lads.

Go Vols!

I understand why Callaway get the accolades and i get it. He did have that signature game that i wish brandon can have. I think with this new staff there going to use Brandon alot more this year. Brandon is going to be ready.. He is in south florida training with his cousin Ocho Cinco and AB also he working out with NFL corners..All feet work and route running...

This is great to hear. Good for him. Should be open a lot this year.

Good to. Just curious, who is AB?

VN Store

Back