George Whitfield: Jarrett Guarantano is "thrilled" to be in Tennessee's new offense

How many options did he have? It’s stay at Stanford and sit, or transfer for an OPPORTUNITY to play. That’s what he “signed up for” by transferring here.

If he’s any good he would have more than just one mediocre SEC program to choose from

Reactions: 1 person
^^^^Thats a trap.

It’s not a trap, it’s a legitimate question: why would Chryst transfer to a mid level SEC program to be a backup? That’s the theory KB proposed and I’m not buying it. People can’t have it both ways. Either he is here to right the ship because he’s legit, or he came here under the agreement that he would be the backup to push JG to improve.

It’s not a trap, it’s a legitimate question: why would Chryst transfer to a mid level SEC program to be a backup? That’s the theory KB proposed and I’m not buying it. People can’t have it both ways. Either he is here to right the ship because he’s legit, or he came here under the agreement that he would be the backup to push JG to improve.

Ok. Then answer me why you believe what HE THINKS trumps actual competition for the job? Because if he really really believes, then it will come true? You dive into the bath salts and think you’re naked at Disney World again? :)

Sorry you don't buy it, but it makes total sense to me.

Not sure I understand the "can't have it both ways" comment. Doesn't really matter though, IMO KB said it pretty well.

Because you're right: no one transfers to play backup.

He transferred for a chance to compete for the starting job. Not for a guaranteed starting role, nor a guaranteed backup role, but a chance to compete.

As for why here, the whole story is probably way too complicated for us to know. But the bare bones are gonna be simple and straight-forward: Chryst, and whoever advises him looked at the options available after last season ended. He may have had a dozen or more opportunities; he may only have had a few. However many they were, he judged his chance of getting onto the field as best at Tennessee.

Now...

None of that changes the fact that KB might be right. What KB describes might be an accurate assessment of the mind set of Tennessee's coaching staff. They're happy to let Chryst compete for the starting job, and would love to be surprised if he comes on gangbusters. But in their heads, they might primarily be thinking, "we need a quality backup in case JG gets injured."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Because you're right: no one transfers to play backup.

He transferred for a chance to compete for the starting job. Not for a guaranteed starting role, nor a guaranteed backup role, but a chance to compete.

As for why here, that's probably WAY too complicated for us to know. Chryst, and whoever advises him (parents, current or former coaches, whoever) looked at the options available after last season ended. He may have had a dozen or more opportunities; he may only have had a few. However many they were, he judged his chance of getting onto the field as best at Tennessee.

Now...

None of that changes the fact that KB might be right. What KB describes might be an accurate assessment of the mind set of Tennessee's coaching staff. They're happy to let Chryst compete for the starting job, and would love to be surprised if he comes on gangbusters. But in their heads, they might primarily be thinking, "we need a quality backup in case JG gets injured."

If your last paragraph is true, I wonder what Pruitt actually told Chryst about coming here.

If your last paragraph is true, I wonder what Pruitt actually told Chryst about coming here.

I'm sure he told him the truth: you come to Tennessee, you'll have the opportunity to compete for the starting job.

Why would CJP tell Chryst anything different?

Implied in that offer is, if you don't get the starting job, you'll be backup and may still get starts later in the season, depending on injuries.

Doesn't even have to say that. All football players know it.

Reactions: 3 people

Whatever it was, if it broached a GUARANTEE of starting then a Stanford graduate from a family of football coaches should have been able to sniff that one out. :yuck:

I'm sure he told him the truth: you come to Tennessee, you'll have the opportunity to compete for the starting job.

Why would CJP tell Chryst anything different?

Implied in that offer is, if you don't get the starting job, you'll be backup and may still get starts later in the season, depending on injuries.

Doesn't even have to say that. All football players know it.

Well that would be dishonest if the plan all along was to bring him in to push JG and be a solid backup. Not that it’s breaking news that a coach misled a recruit.

Well that would be dishonest if the plan all along was to bring him in to push JG and be a solid backup. Not that it’s breaking news that a coach misled a recruit.

Fade, you're missing the point.

When they tell Chryst that he gets to compete for the starting job, they're being honest. They MEAN IT.

At the same time, they may, after looking at all the tape on the lad, have the impression that he probably won't take the lead from JG. That he will probably end up being the backup.

And they're okay using one of our 85 scholarships for that probability. Either way it turns out.

None of that is dishonest, not even one little bit. It's football. The best players become starters; everyone who thinks they might have a shot at being the best, gets a chance to try to prove it.

This is how it works, from Pop Warner to the pros. Well, unless your Pop Warner team's coach is your dad or uncle. Heh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Imo, chryst was told he would compete for the starting role, and either he gets it or he doesn't and he may have a chance down the line if JG gets injured. If our line is anything like last year I guarantee our starting qb will at least miss a few games or need rotating, especially during the georgia-auburn-bama stretch. That's why he came here. I don't think he was guaranteed anything more than a chance to compete for the starting role.

Reactions: 2 people
Why on earth would Chryst agree to that? Transfer to a struggling SEC program to be a backup? You really think that’s the plan Chryst signed up for? You’ve got to be kidding.

You’re misunderstanding my point.

I think Chryst was given and will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting qb spot. And if he’s good enough to earn it, then good on him. But ultimately, it’s about what’s best for the QB position at Tennessee and the team....whether he beats JG out or winds up backing him up, it makes the team better.

Of course the coaches didn’t say “hey Keller, come on over to Tennessee to push Guarantano....you’ll be his backup, you ain’t gonna start, but we’ll be better if you push JG to be better”....

That said, I do think that’s the expectation. Of course Pruitt told Keller it would be a fair competition, that he’ll start if he’s better....but I think what I said earlier is what the coaches are ultimately thinking.

Are you just trying to misunderstand this Fade? Come on man. If Chryst is better than JG, if he wins the job, he’ll be the starter, and I’m sure that’s what he was told. But most covering the team expect JG to win the battle, think that Chryst ultimately gets here and backs JG up. But either way, it makes our QB position better and deeper and that’s all Pruitt is interested in here.

JG “choked”? He threw literally a perfect pass on 4th down that Brandon Johnson let go through his arms. This was after JG, making his first collegiate start ever, with Butch Jones as his head coach, had taken the Vols downfield and into scoring position by completing 4 of 5 passes for 72 yards in less than :30. If you’re gonna make such a silly comment, at least try to be somewhat factually accurate.

Don’t know if he’ll be better than grad transfer/senior Keller Chryst, who played on some very good Stanford teams that won with a power running game and great defense. But the opinions of most who cover the Vols seems to be that JG will win the job and that Chryst was brought here for insurance/to provide depth as JG’s backup.

FWIW, JG, playing on an awful Vols team behind a horrific OL as a freshman, has a higher career completion percentage and a better yards per attempt than senior Chryst who was never asked to do more than manage a very run-heavy offense.
Ok did We watch the same game?...Because the game I watched and just watched replays of about 7 times show the defender deflect the ball...Perfect pass?...Really? ..Watch it for yourself. 2017 USC vs Tennessee - Final 1:13 with Radio Commentary - YouTube

Reactions: 2 people
Are you just trying to misunderstand this Fade? Come on man. If Chryst is better than JG, if he wins the job, he’ll be the starter, and I’m sure that’s what he was told. But most covering the team expect JG to win the battle, think that Chryst ultimately gets here and backs JG up. But either way, it makes our QB position better and deeper and that’s all Pruitt is interested in here.

No, I was just using your own words, which were that Chryst was brought here to push JG and eventually be his backup. Your words, not mine. I was just pointing out some flaws in that logic and plan, that’s all.

I think he tried to be too creative. See '15 OU, '15 UF, '17 UF.

There were times when his creativity paid off well. See '13 UGA, '14 Iowa, Outback Bowl vs. NW.

It was an up and down tenure for Butch.

Honestly, I feel that was him letting loose of the reins a little with his assistants. Not so much him trying to make changes.

I don't think Guarantano is our guy. This team has no margin for error and Guarantano brings too much instability to a team that has a surplus of instability.

You could make an argument that Guarantano has a higher ceiling but he's also more of a liability. We can't afford any further liabilities this year.

Chryst will be our guy. If Guarantano transfers so be it. Let's win now.
It’s not like Chryst is a safe bet either, though. Go back and watch the SDSU or Oregon State games from last year.

No, I was just using your own words, which were that Chryst was brought here to push JG and eventually be his backup. Your words, not mine. I was just pointing out some flaws in that logic and plan, that’s all.

Eh you didn’t do a very good job of that, though. You made a lot of unfair assumptions in your arguments.

VN Store

Back