Game Thread Lady Vols Softball Week 2

Good job by Ralph in the 7th inning. He didn't force the issue on Holcomb's hit with McLain at 3rd, Leach at 1st, and no outs. Made them have to pitch to Gregg with bases loaded. I am often critical of Ralph as a base coach, but he got that one right.

I was sweating that one out because he had forced the issue in the first inning with three runs already in we could've had second and third with one out but he sends the runner home and she is thrown out then the runner on second is thrown out as well. Sometimes better to let the next hitter try to get them in. It almost cost us the game except for some heroics by McClain leading with a double and after the two speedsters beat out hits to load them the all time great player Gregg came up and won the game with a hit.
I was thinking Ralph please don't send McClain home and he didn't was so glad that he used some self control in that inning.

I think Ralph Weekly knows what he's doing.

This is the lone sport I don't over analyze though. I just enjoy watching a winner.

Yeah, we could use some more hitting but Ralph and Karen always produce. This year will be no different.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe I am the only one with this opinion but would anyone else like a Lady Vols Softball Forum?

I think it would help generate more discussion. I only come to this forum for softball and I end up opening a ton of threads only to realize they are basketball threads.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe I am the only one with this opinion but would anyone else like a Lady Vols Softball Forum?

I think it would help generate more discussion. I only come to this forum for softball and I end up opening a ton of threads only to realize they are basketball threads.

I would love to have some way of telling the SB from BB threads. It's painful to wade through the LV BB threads right now.

Reactions: 2 people
Come on Freak. Designate this forum as the Fire Holly/Lady Vols forum and give us a “Tennessee Softball” forum.

I really don't see a problem between the softball being here in the Lady Vol forum. How could it be confused with baseball as they have their own and it would never be on a Lady Vol website even if they didn't.

Guys i have been out of pocket during the MS tournament . Did Gabby pitch any at all and if so what was the results. I did not see anything when i read the write-ups today.
Thanks!

Guys i have been out of pocket during the MS tournament . Did Gabby pitch any at all and if so what was the results. I did not see anything when i read the write-ups today.
Thanks!

She did pitch...struggled with control against Umass-lowell....bounced back with a better outing against Marshall but her defense let her down and was taken out again...she will be alright just gotta continue to adjust to the college game...her transition reminds me of Erin Gabriel who also struggled out of the gate in college

She did pitch...struggled with control against Umass-lowell....bounced back with a better outing against Marshall but her defense let her down and was taken out again...she will be alright just gotta continue to adjust to the college game...her transition reminds me of Erin Gabriel who also struggled out of the gate in college

Haven't been able to see her pitch in person yet but she's giving up a lot of hits and walks and wild pitches and not striking out many. Bad combo. Still very early though and everybody adjusts differently.

Has anybody actually seen her pitch? How is she wild? Is she a drop ball pitcher bouncing the ball a lot? Is that where the wild pitches are coming from? Or is she all over the place?

Thanks!
Gabby was the victim of 4 runs in an inning on 0 hits and three errors by Tennessee. First time I ever seen a team score 4 runs on 0 hits. Tennessee looked like the keystone cops. We had to rally in the 7th to win.

Gabby was the victim of 4 runs in an inning on 0 hits and three errors by Tennessee. First time I ever seen a team score 4 runs on 0 hits. Tennessee looked like the keystone cops. We had to rally in the 7th to win.

Thanks to all the updates about her. Ralph said that she has the wild streak for several years and he knew it would take a while for her to correct it. I had read that the pitching coach had changed her release point or something to the affect. I once had a very good fast pitcher in HS when we were state runnerups who had s:thud:imilar problems and the father changed her and it messed her up completely. Maybe this will not happen with Gabby.

Yes but still easy to tell the difference between basketball and softball have no problem there.

Yeah, I guess you can tell them apart if you just make the assumption they are all for the basketball team.

I would like recruiting news and stuff like that for the softball team though. Is it on here?

It was just an idea.

I mean we've got 3 forums that almost never have more than a post or two a day in them and we can't give the only championship caliber program on the Hill its own forum.

Yeah, I guess you can tell them apart if you just make the assumption they are all for the basketball team.

I would like recruiting news and stuff like that for the softball team though. Is it on here?

It was just an idea.

I mean we've got 3 forums that almost never have more than a post or two a day in them and we can't give the only championship caliber program on the Hill its own forum.

I think it's a great idea, and if Freak doesn't respond perhaps you should consider filing a Title IX issue against Volnation. :) Would seem legit since there is only one women's forum and four for men.

I think it's a great idea, and if Freak doesn't respond perhaps you should consider filing a Title IX issue against Volnation. :) Would seem legit since there is only one women's forum and four for men.

Lol.

I admit it’s a selfish request. I really dislike women’s hoops. If they played games in my backyard I’d draw the curtains closed. I really enjoy softball. Would just much rather have a dedicated forum for softball cause it kinda gets swallowed up by Holly/LVBB talk.

Ayala only one hit in 16 at bats. She was a .615 hitter one season in high school looks like another northern player that will have to adjust to the higher level.
Were depending on Seggern, Lockman, and sometimes McClain to be our big hitters in the middle of the lineup so far they have done a decent job. I am afraid SEC pitching may give us some problems.
I think McClain has improved still waiting for Leach to break out.

This past weekend Leach hit .467 with 4 walks 2nd only to Gregg.
McClain hit .455 with a walk

Seggren hit .250
Lockman hit .214
McSwain went hitless in 9 attempts

Leach hits rather good at #1 for essentially a #2 hitter but UT lacks a real #1 hitter

This past weekend Leach hit .467 with 4 walks 2nd only to Gregg.
McClain hit .455 with a walk

Seggren hit .250
Lockman hit .214
McSwain went hitless in 9 attempts

Leach hits rather good at #1 for essentially a #2 hitter but UT lacks a real #1 hitter

I had hoped that Holcomb would work her way to the #1 spot and let Leach drop to #2. I think this would help us protect Gregg better. JMHO:thud:

Wholeheartedly agree. I vote in favor!

VN Store

Back