Game Thread Lady Vols at Long Beach State

To add were only a couple turnovers from the other top teams.

South Carolina 13 a game
Miss St 13
Notre Dame 14
UConn 15
Tennessee 16

Were averaging 9.5 steals per game and giving up 7.5 Were forcing 17 turnovers a game by the other team per game. So were a positive 3.0 possessions turnovers and steals per game. As long as we can do that and win the foul line we'll be in the winning column.

Reactions: 8 people
Wish I could highlights of the game... nowhere online. If someone knows please let me know.
I’ll usually go to Utsportstv channel on you tube.

I also get good reviews and feedback from this one fan on YouTube. Margo I believe is he name. She’s awesome.

I disagree with a piece of your reply. For the most part, all the negative comments about Holly and Diamond at the time were because of the negative observations at the time. Mentioning something negative is not being negative it is giving a realistic and TRUTHFUL assessment. This team, while a big improvement over recent seasons may, not get any further in the NCAA tournament unless they improve on fundamentals. Again this is more a Coaching issue.

I watched a recent game where the winner was up by a lot but the PG took a 3 from way downtown that was inconsistent with the coach's teachings. She made the shot and she played a stellar game but when she came to the sideline the Coach talked to her for a couple of minutes. He was coaching. Players don't improve without coaching. The mental/knowledge aspects of the game come from the Coaches.

This team has really good potential if all the basic fundamentals become crisp and the mental aspects tightened up. Knowlege and repetitions. Just my opinion

So, what is the implication, that Holly is not coaching?

For example, on one of Hayes turnovers, she had an open teammate but through the ball high and it went out of bounds. Good decision but bad execution. So, do you want Holly to call Anatasia over to say "Hey, don't throw the ball over your targets head."

Seriously, of course Holly is coaching the team. They have film sessions and practice time. Just because you don't see her talking on the sidelines (and which she does on various occasions) does not mean she is NOT coaching.

Freshman players ARE GOING TO MAKE MISTAKES. A coach that gets hyper-critical is going to make her players fearful of taking necessary chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Yes there is room for improvement, but at least these are freshman that will learn. Not experienced players who melt down or lose focus like the last couple of years. We have some issues, but I would gladly have these over the ones we’ve had the last couple of years. Last year’s team would be 8-3 at best at this point in the year.

Hayes makes mistakes, but I love her energy and ability to score. She is much better than Cooper IMHO. She just drives too far under the basket at times. She will learn. Her ability to go around tall defenders and make shots is incredible. Also watch her jump for rebounds. She’s out rebounding bigs on other teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
may 29, 2017

Originally Posted by PointGuard
Shoot the messenger - - - in this case Adams. Facts cannot be disputed except by those who don't permit themselves to be influenced by facts. When the loss column is increasing and the win column is decreasing? - - when a team can beat the best but lose to the worst? - - when player development year-over-year is MIA? - - when "me first" players fail to coagulate into a team spirit? - - the only common denominator is coaching...... and that would be bad coaching

las vegas bill.

Can it be turned around? This coming season should provide an answer
Well i am pessimist because 6 years now of CHW running things and nothing has changed year to year.... We really need some to come in who can demand respect, instruct in the fundamentals of basketball, tolerate nothing less than full CONSISTENT effort by the players, and put forth attitude of winning. That is not happening now.

I know many say that this year will be the telltale .... I say that is akin to parents threatening "don't make me stop this car!".... what is going on now has been tolerated for so long, i cannot see things changing at all...

Expecting them to tighten up and constantly nagging (and I'm not talking about you just saying in general) about every little thing becomes annoying.

At first it was Holly, then it was Diamond, then it was losing coach law, then it was folks unsure if Coach Gordon was the right choice, to will the team be ready, to them having a soft schedule, to the if Texas had Holmes we would've lost, to it's the turnovers

Can the team ever just get a well done?

Nothing they seem to do under Holly's watch is praised as a success and that's unfortunate.

Yes I also would like the turnovers to be cut down but I also know that we have a bunch of new pieces (only ones who played significant minutes were Jaime and Mercedes) so I expect there to be a few bumps in the road until things are ironed out and as of right now they are exceeding expectations, soft schedule or not.

Well said.

Reactions: 1 person
I know many say that this year will be the telltale .... I say that is akin to parents threatening "don't make me stop this car!".... what is going on now has been tolerated for so long, i cannot see things changing at all...

way back before there were seat belts,Dad didn't say that

we dove for the floor boards in the back seat,trying to duck :)

Reactions: 2 people
I like Annie's game. She reminds me of " the most hated Cooper" lol, when she played as a freshman. They both look the same to me on the court IMO. She turns the ball over just as much as Cooper did when she was a freshman. I won't be a hypocrite and complain about it because I didn't do it to Cooper. They were, and are freshman. It's kinda expected somewhat. I would like to see her cut back on the turnovers, but as I thought with Cooper, their good on the court outweighed the turnovers. Annie will be just fine. I hope she continues to play her game, and improve on it.

Reactions: 1 person
Point guard position 20.9 ppg 9.4 assists per game which is 103 total assists. 7.3 turnovers a game total of 81. You would like to cut a couple turnovers a game but what they are doing is more than acceptable. I hope Holly doesn't do anything to rein these girls in don't want them thinking to much about mistakes. As long as were putting up 80 to 90 points per game turnovers will not be a factor.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back