Game Thread Lady Vols at Long Beach State

They're winning right now and that shouldn't be all that matters. Unforced turnovers are becoming a habit and it's nothing wrong with expecting them to tighten up now. Because the longer it continues the harder it's going to be to break. When they're in a close game you don't want it to come back and bite them in the butt.

most of their unforced turnovers are on very tough feeds or receiver-misreads....They're not dribble off the foot or frustration-throwaways.

Reactions: 2 people
Some of yall complain just to complain!

They wont be perfect and mistakes are going to be made! Would we like them to improve be better yes but they’re winning and at the end of the day, that’s all that matters!

Sorry, but that is def not all that matters. They need to be working on and elevating their games against every opponent. Every possession and how they handle it matters.

We had a great time today and got to meet the GOAT

Attachments

• IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: 12 people
Sorry, but that is def not all that matters. They need to be working on and elevating their games against every opponent. Every possession and how they handle it matters.

To be fair if we didn’t play KK or Harris we probably wouldn’t have the 17 turnovers. They each lost 2 catchable passes out of bounds which is charged too the guard who is passing it (ie Westbrook and Hayes). Those players need minutes to acclaimate to the game. I do believe both PGs need to know when to slow down the ball and realize the players they are on the court with. You can’t pass to KK like you can Russell, Nared, Green or even Davis in the post just yet. A bounce pass may suit those players better at times. Also, hitting them in transition is something they tried multiple times and those players are getting there but don’t have the footspeed or conditioning yet. However, I truly think with some maturity these mistakes will get eliminated because they are heady young ladies and right now they are just aggressive trying to prove they belong.

Reactions: 3 people
Turnovers are expected like holly says as the freshman get a better feel they will understand what pass to make and what pass they should not make

Annie is an aggressive guard on offense. When she looks to score, the one thing I LOVE is her ability to not barrel into players drawing an offensive foul. Her pivots and step-through are amazing to be a freshman!

Yes the turnovers are problematic, however like someone mentioned before they aren’t live ball turnovers which would kill us against better competition. The freshman will get it together!

Reactions: 4 people
Annie is an aggressive guard on offense. When she looks to score, the one thing I LOVE is her ability to not barrel into players drawing an offensive foul. Her pivots and step-through are amazing to be a freshman!

Yes the turnovers are problematic, however like someone mentioned before they aren’t live ball turnovers which would kill us against better competition. The freshman will get it together!

Excellent points. She is the back-up PG for a reason. Evina is further up the learning curve but Hayes primary role is attacking guard (I don't think shooting guard really fits her role) and she does that very well. There is a nice fluidity when Hayes and Westbrook are on the court at the same time. On any given play, Hayes can step into the PG and free Evina up for an increasingly deadly jumper.

The main thing I would like to see is for Hayes to get her jump shot going. Teams are going to scout her and realize that her main offensive threat is penetrating. Now she is not easy to stop but the better teams will close down those lanes. If her mid range is a threat, however, that it makes it more difficult to defend her.

I for one am very glad that the freshmen are being introduced to unselfish basketball and that they are learning what can be achieved when no one cares who gets the credit. This "next person up" mentality will help them in those tough games where a starter has an off game.

Reactions: 5 people
They're winning right now and that shouldn't be all that matters. Unforced turnovers are becoming a habit and it's nothing wrong with expecting them to tighten up now. Because the longer it continues the harder it's going to be to break. When they're in a close game you don't want it to come back and bite them in the butt.

Expecting them to tighten up and constantly nagging (and I'm not talking about you just saying in general) about every little thing becomes annoying.

At first it was Holly, then it was Diamond, then it was losing coach law, then it was folks unsure if Coach Gordon was the right choice, to will the team be ready, to them having a soft schedule, to the if Texas had Holmes we would've lost, to it's the turnovers

Can the team ever just get a well done?

Nothing they seem to do under Holly's watch is praised as a success and that's unfortunate.

Yes I also would like the turnovers to be cut down but I also know that we have a bunch of new pieces (only ones who played significant minutes were Jaime and Mercedes) so I expect there to be a few bumps in the road until things are ironed out and as of right now they are exceeding expectations, soft schedule or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Watched the Beach stream delayed about a minute and synched in with UT audio with Mickey. An absolute enjoyable combination! :rock:

Expecting them to tighten up and constantly nagging (and I'm not talking about you just saying in general) about every little thing becomes annoying.

At first it was Holly, then it was Diamond, then it was losing coach law, then it was folks unsure of Coach Gordon was the right choice, to will the team be ready, to them having a soft schedule, to the if Texas had Holmes we would've lost, to the it's the turnovers

Can the team every just get a well done?

Nothing they seem to do under Holly's watch is praised as a success and that's unfortunate.

Yes I also would like the turnovers to be cut down but I also know that we have a bunch of new pieces (only ones who played significant minutes were Jaime and Mercedes) so I expect there to be a few bumps in the road until things are ironed out and as of right now they are exceeding expectations, soft schedule or not.

I disagree with a piece of your reply. For the most part, all the negative comments about Holly and Diamond at the time were because of the negative observations at the time. Mentioning something negative is not being negative it is giving a realistic and TRUTHFUL assessment. This team, while a big improvement over recent seasons may, not get any further in the NCAA tournament unless they improve on fundamentals. Again this is more a Coaching issue.

I watched a recent game where the winner was up by a lot but the PG took a 3 from way downtown that was inconsistent with the coach's teachings. She made the shot and she played a stellar game but when she came to the sideline the Coach talked to her for a couple of minutes. He was coaching. Players don't improve without coaching. The mental/knowledge aspects of the game come from the Coaches.

This team has really good potential if all the basic fundamentals become crisp and the mental aspects tightened up. Knowlege and repetitions. Just my opinion

At first it was Holly, then it was Diamond, then it was losing coach law, then it was folks unsure if Coach Gordon was the right choice, to will the team be ready, to them having a soft schedule, to the if Texas had Holmes we would've lost, to it's the turnovers

Can the team ever just get a well done?

I agree, well done and well said. Yes we have a lot of turnovers but most games about the same as the other team. :hi:

I think 16 turnovers a game is about right for the pace we are playing. When you are getting upwards of 80 possessions per game the turnovers are going to be around where we are.
You can look at most of the teams who are running an up tempo offense and they will be turning it over about the same amount we are.
The turnovers are only going to hurt you if you are in a deficit to the other team. Thus far we have been forcing the other team into as many turnovers as we are making. Steals also go into possessions and this team has been getting enough steals to minimize the turnovers.
Having said all this I hope we can lower the turnovers to about 12 a game which is as low as you can expect with the type of fast paced offense we run.

VN Store

Back