Game Thread: #5 Tennessee (19-11, 10-6 SEC) vs #1 South Carolina (30-0, 16-0 SEC) Saturday 3/9/24 ~4:30 pm ET (ESPNU)

It would have been brilliant strategy if the plan had been for Rickea to hedge toward the baseline away from Cardoso and then reverse quickly to interception point just as Johnson went into her wind-up, too late to pull back the pass.

With our luck, Cardoso would have crashed into Rickea going for the ball, and Rickea would have been called for the foul. By the same joker.

Be patient please. We're going through the steps. Trying to reach understanding.

Okay, since we are analyzing this play like the Zapruder film, who was on the grassy knoll (i.e. what could Kellie have been thinking?).

Scenario one; With the exception of Paopao, SC is not a three-point shooting team. So, you have Powell lock down PaoPoa and they would default to scoring 2 in the paint. So having Key stay planted in the paint makes sense. Cardossa is player you don't expect to take a 3 and you live the probabilities of her making her first freakin' trey of the season.

The only mystery is Rickea's no man lands positioning. She had no effect on any one or any chance to do anything. I know we have the interpretation that Kellie had directed the players to where she wanted but she couldn;t have wanted RJ on an island. There had to be some miscommunication and, if so, yeah, she have called a TO. Honestly, the analytics would have said this WAS the time-- let SC show their set and then have to reset.

Scenario 2: I ain't got one....

Okay, since we are analyzing this play like the Zapruder film, who was on the grassy knoll (i.e. what could Kellie have been thinking?).

The only mystery is Rickea's no man lands positioning. She had no effect on any one or any chance to do anything. I know we have the interpretation that Kellie had directed the players to where she wanted but she couldn;t have wanted RJ on an island. There had to be some miscommunication and, if so, yeah, she have called a TO. Honestly, the analytics would have said this WAS the time-- let SC show their set and then have to reset.

LOL on the Zapruder film. I happened to have posted our own version of that on another thread today.

From about 9:35, when Rickea starts to pick up Kamilla around the foul line, you can see Kellie waving her away toward the sideline.
From then until about 9:43, just before the ball is inbounded, Kellie is refining Rickeas position, and directing every step. Rickea is doing as told, unbelievably sent to the island. What a time for Rickea to be a rule follower, right? Doesn't look like any miscommunication, seconds before the inbound Kellie is done giving instruction.

At about 8:00 is the previous inbound, after a timeout so there was time to plan. It's from the baseline, but Rickea is in the exact same nonsensical position, not really guarding the inbound or anybody. Hate say it, but RJ on an island appears to be the purposeful inbound defensive plan.

Scenario 2A: We'll never know, so I promise to send this horse on to the glue factory.

It would have been brilliant strategy if the plan had been for Rickea to hedge toward the baseline away from Cardoso and then reverse quickly to interception point just as Johnson went into her wind-up, too late to pull back the pass.

With our luck, Cardoso would have crashed into Rickea going for the ball, and Rickea would have been called for the foul. By the same joker.
we had a foul to give so no problem

Scenario one; With the exception of Paopao, SC is not a three-point shooting team. So, you have Powell lock down PaoPoa and they would default to scoring 2 in the paint. So having Key stay planted in the paint makes sense. Cardossa is player you don't expect to take a 3 and you live the probabilities of her making her first freakin' trey of the season.

I think she was protecting from the inbounder coming in on a pass-back and becoming the shooter

Reactions: madtownvol
I think she was protecting from the inbounder coming in on a pass-back and becoming the shooter
I think that's exactly it. But who didn't know 1.1 could only be catch n shoot? Apparently our coaches and I still can't process that. I only figured out yesterday that the defensive alignment was intentional, not out of confusion. And that the players are being unfairly blamed.

But we've been told to shut up and move on.

Last edited:
I think that's exactly it. But who didn't know 1.1 could only be catch n shoot? Apparently our coaches and I still can't process that. I only figured out yesterday that the defensive alignment was intentional, not out of confusion. And that the players are being unfairly blamed.

when I was coaching in Atlanta I had a group that was #3 in the state...With that team I timed everything:
-A one dribble layup from the arc: start with triple position at the Arc, one dribble drive with time starts at first twitch of any kind,,,stopped at ball off of the glass (players should shoot to be under 1.2 seconds and can be as fast as .8)

One thing we timed was inbounding to receiver who returned it back to an inbounder for a long three,,,The girls never broke 1.5 seconds,,,and they were fast

Who told you to shut up? Mr. Beat a dead horse psssh.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
One thing we timed was inbounding to receiver who returned it back to an inbounder for a long three,,,The girls never broke 1.5 seconds,,,and they were fast
Time would have expired with the ball in the air on the return pass. Catch and shoot only Dawn knew it, coached for it. Announcers knew it, said it. Everyone around me in stands knew it. Apparently our coaches thought otherwise.

Bottom line, they made a collosal blunder on the heels of probably their greatest coaching achievement for the other 39'58.9". Alot to live with, alot to recover from. But please don't let the players catch the heat.

But I move on in relative peace.

Time would have expired with the ball in the air on the return pass. Catch and shoot only Dawn knew it, coached for it. Announcers knew it, said it. Everyone around me in stands knew it. Apparently our coaches thought otherwise.

Bottom line, they made a collosal blunder on the heels of probably their greatest coaching achievement for the other 39'58.9". Alot to live with, alot to recover from. But please don't let the players catch the heat.

But I move on in relative peace.

Equus Totalis, the horse is done.

Remember that we couldn't call a timeout once the official hands the ball to the player...

Actually it was the first thing they asked her after the players left the presser. That's when she broke down. Also when she said didn't get where they needed to be, etc. Which is bizarre bc they're clearly where she put them. But she was understandably very upset so they didn't press her. I kinda see Cora asking it, maybe even of an assistant now with a few days gone by.

How close were you to the bench?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
How close were you to the bench?
Way farther than the first few days. Behind it 25ish rows, so I couldn't see what they were saying, and was way too delirious at the time to care. Everything I know about the last play is from watching video replay. I always record and rewatch to catch those kind of details.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back