Game Thread: #5 Tennessee (19-11, 10-6 SEC) vs #1 South Carolina (30-0, 16-0 SEC) Saturday 3/9/24 ~4:30 pm ET (ESPNU)

VolBall09

Last edited:
They are the far more talented team. They have a lot more depth and a lot more options to score points. I still think we can win. Were playing as a team and were finding the open player and not taking bad shots. If the players can continue to be consistent in their scoring, make better passes, and value every possession this is going to the wire. We need everything to fall right for us to win, but I believe.

No matter the outcome today this team has risen to another level and I wouldn't want to play them in the NCAA tourney. Tennessee 73 SC 70 if we match our play in the first two games.

Hard to beat a team 3 times in one season. So I think we have a chance!

Really liked how we played last night, very focused and we executed well. I thought our defensive performance on Nye was one of the best of the season.

I’m going to give the edge to SC on depth and size alone mostly.

USC 76-72 UT

We have to keep spacing and moving the ball like we did today. We have to hit shots. We have to have more of an inside presence against Kamilla, she's dominated TK so far. As Bert B would say, talk to me Jillian Hollingshed. We have to overcome tired legs for 40 mins. Then who knows?

Dream would be us vs Ole Miss for championship tomorrow. Final lick gotten back.

Can't bring myself to make a prediction.

As others have said this morning, everything goes right, we can win today. We’re playing really inspired basketball since maybe the Arkansas game? South Carolina is undeniably good, but the more I watch them the more beatable they seem. We also match up well with them and didn’t seem overly rattled when we played them at home. Phew, big task though. Hoping for big games and composed playing from everyone. Jasmine thinks we can win, so I’ll trust her and say Lady Vols 67 SC 64.

They are the far more talented team. They have a lot more depth and a lot more options to score points. I still think we can win. Were playing as a team and were finding the open player and not taking bad shots. If the players can continue to be consistent in their scoring, make better passes, and value every possession this is going to the wire. We need everything to fall right for us to win, but I believe.

No matter the outcome today this team has risen to another level and I wouldn't want to play them in the NCAA tourney. Tennessee 73 SC 70 if we match our play in the first two games.
Like Tennessee Volunteers odds if Tennessee
Makes more threes// better %%% On Three
Take good shots ON the two pointer as well
Take care of the ball
Agree Tennessee volunteers could win this one

This. Watched the replay late last night, that stood out. And Sara Puckett had a big role in that. Great defensive game plan by the oft maligned coaching staff.

Just comes down to execution most do the time. According to Kellie they didn’t change their game plan from the first Bama game, we just executed it.

Annoying that it takes losses to get her teams motivated. That’s got to happen in practice somehow.

Hang on too your hats Ladies and Gentlemen.

Lady Vols 78
South Carolina 70

Yes I think Tennessee pulls off a huge upset on their way to winning SEC tournament crown..

Go Lady Vols.

Edit: I'm still not a Sunshine Pumper I call it like I see the situation now and in the future as well.
Whether I'm rite or wrong.

My main concern for the LV's is consistency. I'm pretty sure that, at, or very near their best, they can beat SC.
If they play like they did against Alabama, they have a realistic chance against SC.
But, can they string 10 consecutive, well played quarters, together ?
I'm counting the last 2 vs Kentucky, the 4 vs Alabama and, I assume, the 4 that will be needed to beat South Carolina.
That question will be answered today.

Time to bop our way into a rematch so we can play ..
1709991127573.png
another rematch.
1709991339121.png

Bop our way right into theNCAA's
1709991302741.png

I don't like my opinion about this game, as I hope it is wrong. However, I think SC is the worst team in the country to play with an energy disadvantage (it will be our 3rd game vs 2nd game for SC in tourney) due to their deep bench and the amount of energy it takes to play them with you have a talent disparity. I do think we will keep it respectable until the energy disparity will catch up with the LVs in the 4th and we lose by double digits. I do think we will not back down but just eventually peter out. I will still be proud of the clear improvement in the team during the year no matter what the score is.

I think it will take Spears hitting 3 or more 3s and Sara to play O like or close to way she did she did vs UK and then RJ having her normal game & couple of timely 3s from Darby and cut down on TOs & hold your own on rebounds. So a lot of things have to come together to pull together a upset. It could happen but would have to go against a lot of trends. GBO

This. Watched the replay late last night, that stood out. And Sara Puckett had a big role in that. Great defensive game plan by the oft maligned coaching staff.
I did as well. What I noticed is pucket was picking her up as soon as she crossed half court or whoever else was guarding her was doing the same thing. Nye got nothing easy yesterday. Everyone on the team knew where she was at at all times.

Hard to beat a team 3 times in one season. So I think we have a chance!

Really liked how we played last night, very focused and we executed well. I thought our defensive performance on Nye was one of the best of the season.

I’m going to give the edge to SC on depth and size alone mostly.

USC 76-72 UT
Have not figured out how this team can continue to GIVE so many brain dead open court live ball turnovers. SC can make you pay for most. We evidently are consistent enough with not creating passing lanes and continuing to work the plays they jump the lanes. Sure seems like they are gamers in most AREAS.

MAYBE if we have several three ball hotties today we START by throwing up the first GOOD shot rather than continue to WORK the ball for the inside out plays to cut down the killer turnovers. Passing lanes to the inside or lanes for drives will open up if we start hot. Maybe WE get a bigger share of those long seeing eye rebounds. Also need extra bunny practice. Got to make those count.

My best couch centric game plan. COACH CAN THANK ME LATER.

Not expecting a win, but expect it to be competitive again, but I anticipate SC too tough down the stretch.

SC 75
TN 70

If we do win..

I think we need to score at least 80 to win. Jackson will need a double double, Key, Spear and Puckett will need double figures. Powell will need to facilitate the offense and take care of the ball. Everyone must be aware of the defense and make clean, crisp, catchable passes. Darby and Hollingshead must contribute offensively and defensively. If Striplin plays, she must have some baskets. Wynn must get a few baskets also.

If everything worked in our favor,

TN: 82
SC: 76

Have not figured out how this team can continue to GIVE so many brain dead open court live ball turnovers. SC can make you pay for most. We evidently are consistent enough with not creating passing lanes and continuing to work the plays they jump the lanes. Sure seems like they are gamers in most AREAS.

MAYBE if we have several three ball hotties today we START by throwing up the first GOOD shot rather than continue to WORK the ball for the inside out plays to cut down the killer turnovers. Passing lanes to the inside or lanes for drives will open up if we start hot. Maybe WE get a bigger share of those long seeing eye rebounds. Also need extra bunny practice. Got to make those count.

My best couch centric game plan. COACH CAN THANK ME LATER.
Both previous games with South Carolina were low-turnover games for both teams, with us having 13 and 14 in the first and second games. We really hung with them on the boards in the first game and played great defense on them in the second game. In both games, we've shot horribly from 3 - a combined 6-36 (16.7%). We are 15-41 in the two SEC tournament games so far (36.6%). To use your phrasing, I hope we have "several three ball hotties" today.

Both previous games with South Carolina were low-turnover games for both teams, with us having 13 and 14 in the first and second games. We really hung with them on the boards in the first game and played great defense on them in the second game. In both games, we've shot horribly from 3 - a combined 6-36 (16.7%). We are 15-41 in the two SEC tournament games so far (36.6%). To use your phrasing, I hope we have "several three ball hotties" today.
Agree, low turnovers are good, but when you have them means so much, especially in this game. Cannot have turnovers in the 4th quarter of a close game, or you give them the game because there’s not enough time left in the game to make up for them, and it kills momentum.

Cannot choke in the 4th! Rebounds, defense, ball security, and making your shots, we’ll have to do it all, and we can!

Get the ball to Rickea, and GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back