Excluding Hooker/Dobbs, is there a QB in the last 10 years you would rather have on the field than Joe?

If you take away turnovers and concussions Maurer would've been perfect for this offense.

I agree that I wouldn't trade Joe for any of these options but I do think Dormady and Worley would be dangerous if they had 3 years under Heupel.

Bray would been a heisman winner in this system. Dude was a straight out gun slinger. People just remember him tanking against KY because he was sick of scoring like 50 points and still losing because our d was straight trash and his coach was a moron.

Reactions: Ttucke11
A more fun question would be "the top 5 QBs since 2004 (post-Clausen marking the begining of CPF's downfall)." Obvious it's some mix of Ainge, Dobbs, Bray and Hooker. Who is the fifth?

He ended up decomitting after the coaching hire debacle that led to Pruitt, but I would have been interested to see how Adrian Martinez would have fared in Huepel's system

Kadon Salter is putting on a show at Liberty this year. Obviously that's a very different level of competition than the SEC but he sure looks sharp

Reactions: saltfanclub
This is a bit like asking, "Excluding Ginger and Maryanne, is there any person on Gilligan's Island you'd more like to date than Mrs. Howell?"

I like Joe a lot as a person, and support him 100% as long as he wears orange. Just don't see how your question helps cement his legacy in any of our minds. He is the best option we've got, and we roll with him.

Go Vols!

A more fun question would be "the top 5 QBs since 2004 (post-Clausen marking the begining of CPF's downfall)." Obvious it's some mix of Ainge, Dobbs, Bray and Hooker. Who is the fifth?
The fifth is the fifth of liquor you needed at times to survive watching the other guys. It wasn’t all on the QBs, but man, it was ugly at times.

For perspective, complaining about a talent like Joe is kind of a "luxury problem" to have for us these days. I say that because if you could replace him with any other QB in the "Dark times of UT football", who else would you want from these choices? I used all the starting QB's I can think of from the last 10 years.

Worley
Peterman (The Tennessee version)
Dormady
Keller Chryst
JG
Will McBride
JT Shrout
Maurer
Harrison Bailey

Personally, I'm taking Milton over this list 10/10 times.

You could go back a little further and add Bray to the discussion and that might kick up some opinions, but I'm not sure he's a great fit for Heup's system. I'd probably still rather have Joe.
After thinking about this a little more, I think none of these QBs would have been recruited by Hueple , maybe Peterman. If you remember when we got some of these guys ppl on recruiting site would say wonder why UGA & other SEC teams are not after these guys. Worley was from SC and was not even offered by SC. Maurer & McBride are a DII type players. JT Shrout & Dormady much traveled have stunk it up everywhere he's went JT one of 1st Deion ran off at Colorado. Harrison Bailey is at best a G5 or a DII. JG was to slow of thinker for this O, this his a little of Joes Achille but nothing close to JG. JG is great practice player when no pressure. Just really dont see him recruiting any on that list.

After seeing this list, I now clearly see why Heupel immediately went after TWO qb's in the portal, and why he has made recruiting top qb's a priority. We really had no one that good. His evaluation of talent is going to make a huge difference moving forward.

So your question is who is the 3rd best QB in the last 10 years. After 1 and 2, there’s not much to choose from so it’s not a great award to be chosen 3rd.

For perspective, complaining about a talent like Joe is kind of a "luxury problem" to have for us these days. I say that because if you could replace him with any other QB in the "Dark times of UT football", who else would you want from these choices? I used all the starting QB's I can think of from the last 10 years.

Worley
Dormady
Keller Chryst
JG
Will McBride
JT Shrout
Maurer
Harrison Bailey

You could go back a little further and add Bray to the discussion and that might kick up some opinions, but I'm not sure he's a great fit for Heup's system. I'd probably still rather have Joe.
JH could do more with Peterman than Milton! I would take Peterman.

Bray>Milton at the 11 year mark. That guy was an accurate gunslinger and would fit perfectly. Just keep him away from beer bottles and jet skis

Worley
Dormady
Keller Chryst
JG
Will McBride
JT Shrout
Maurer
Harrison Bailey

With those options, I’ll take Alvin Kamara and wish bone

I know that wasn't in the parameters of the question but can you imagine? Joe's arm talent with better decision making and accuracy.
in part because he didn't win nearly as many games as he should've, Bray might be the most underappreciated qb in recent Tennessee history.

He was dual threat. Remember the recruiting services? Those rankings were a lot of JGs problem in the eyes of fans.

Note: He ran fast in a straight line tho.
You're right. That's what was killing me - that they kept insisting he was dual threat. He may have had decent straight line speed, but he had zero elusiveness.

You mean for our team or the opposition? I’d love to see this D play against JG.

Immagine if Coach Heupel had Josh Dobbs Alvin Kamara and Jalen Hurd in the backfield and Jauan Jennings to throw to.

That's what Butch Jones pissed away.

What if he had Tyler Bray and Cordarrelle Patterson but with a good OL unlike Dooley.
Don't forget if Dooley had just an average defense and defensive coordinator.

Bray would been a heisman winner in this system. Dude was a straight out gun slinger. People just remember him tanking against KY because he was sick of scoring like 50 points and still losing because our d was straight trash and his coach was a moron.
Hard agree. Bray gets way too much heat from UT fans. He was a stud. D was otherworldly bad with a terrible coach.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE and NEO

VN Store

Back