Excluding Hooker/Dobbs, is there a QB in the last 10 years you would rather have on the field than Joe?

For perspective, complaining about a talent like Joe is kind of a "luxury problem" to have for us these days. I say that because if you could replace him with any other QB in the "Dark times of UT football", who else would you want from these choices? I used all the starting QB's I can think of from the last 10 years.

Worley
Peterman (The Tennessee version)
Dormady
Keller Chryst
JG
Will McBride
JT Shrout
Maurer
Harrison Bailey

Personally, I'm taking Milton over this list 10/10 times.

You could go back a little further and add Bray to the discussion and that might kick up some opinions, but I'm not sure he's a great fit for Heup's system. I'd probably still rather have Joe.
Please do not post this list ever again. It must be erased from history.

You may be right. JG threw a good back shoulder ball. I still remember him having his best game against Auburn at Jordan Hare. If he could have put it all together like he did that day I have no doubt we would all think differently of him. There was no doubt about him being talented. I think he was shell shocked and never got past the abuse he took early. Think maybe Heupel could have made him a better QB. I think that is also why your not really seeing much of Nico. That natural clock a QB has can be shattered if they are abused.
JG had a better than average arm, but he was the most immobile QB I've ever seen at the college level. He made Casey Clausen look like Johnny Football.

No,of course not, but I’d also submit that 1-2 of those guys would have done fine under Heupel.

I mean you take away clausen and ainge, you could very well extend this list into the late 90s. Tyler Bray was decent but not on Dobbs or hookers level. Crompton is the only other honorable mention. Suggs, Rick, Shaeffer, Maurer, thanks but no thanks

For perspective, complaining about a talent like Joe is kind of a "luxury problem" to have for us these days. I say that because if you could replace him with any other QB in the "Dark times of UT football", who else would you want from these choices? I used all the starting QB's I can think of from the last 10 years.

Worley
Dormady
Keller Chryst
JG
Will McBride
JT Shrout
Maurer
Harrison Bailey

You could go back a little further and add Bray to the discussion and that might kick up some opinions, but I'm not sure he's a great fit for Heup's system. I'd probably still rather have Joe.
Remember when we almost had Penix? Would love to see him In this offense

Hell no. No offense to any of those guys but I’d take JM over all of them.
I would take Bray over Milton
That’s a tough one…I want to see how Joe does this year before I take Bray. I know this—Id take Da’rick, Hunter, CP, and Riviera over our current group of WRs. No offense to Squirrel/Keyton/Bru, but that was a stable of playmakers. However our Rbs are better currently.

Worley
Dormady
Keller Chryst
JG
Will McBride
JT Shrout
Maurer
Harrison Bailey

This is how I rank them:

1. Keller Cryst
2. JT Shrout
3. Worley Bird
4. Peterman
5. Milton
6. Maurer
7. Dormady
8. Harrison Bailey
9. Will Mcbride

We've had some really bad QBs. That doesn't mean Milton is good. What's your point?

Call me crazy, but I think Worley would have been pretty good in this system. His HS system was had a lot of similarities to what Heupel does. But, he was a bit of a statue.

Heupel with a really mobile QB is lethal. When you space people out, the response a lot of teams will have is to play Man-2, essentially covering 4 with 6 and leaving a soft box. Running zone where the qb pull is unlikely or is sideways leta the defense have that 6v4 option. With a running QB, it isn’t. We get better matchups. That was one of the positives of Hooker. They had to respect the box and couldn’t bracket the outsides.

Would be interesting to see what Tyler Bray could have done. Not a mobile QB but he could sling it. How about 2 almost Vols Tahj Boyd and Bryce Petty.

Peterman makes me think. When that guy got to Pitt and got some coaching, he looked much better. Is that guy still on the NFL? Him as a starting QB, especially if he was in his 3rd year in Heupel's system.

I could also see, in an alternate universe, where JG would look like a completely different QB under Heupel. Didn't he have a different OC just about every year he was here? That was a talented cat, but the offensive line in front of him as a young QB was so bad, he was out there shell shocked and could never shake it.

Those 2 guys, given 3 years in Heupel's system like Milton has had, could be as good. Possibly better. Who knows?

If we can go back 11 years I'll take Bray. With that said. I don't think Joe is playing horrible right now. Wouldn't say it's spectacular but somewhere in the middle.

Why would anyone who calls themself a Tennessee fan wish this? Jg was the worst qb to start over multiple seasons in school history. He lost the starting job a wsu to a 6ft walkon. He was a terrible quarterback, he threw the same amount of picks in one half that Joe has thrown in 5 games. Heupel couldn’t help him…

Convinced he was a pure head case.

Reactions: jarnol32
JG had a better than average arm, but he was the most immobile QB I've ever seen at the college level. He made Casey Clausen look like Johnny Football.

He was dual threat. Remember the recruiting services? Those rankings were a lot of JGs problem in the eyes of fans.

Note: He ran fast in a straight line tho.

VN Store

Back