Excluding Hooker/Dobbs, is there a QB in the last 10 years you would rather have on the field than Joe?

For perspective, complaining about a talent like Joe is kind of a "luxury problem" to have for us these days. I say that because if you could replace him with any other QB in the "Dark times of UT football", who else would you want from these choices? I used all the starting QB's I can think of from the last 10 years.

Worley
Peterman (The Tennessee version)
Dormady
Keller Chryst
JG
Will McBride
JT Shrout
Maurer
Harrison Bailey

Personally, I'm taking Milton over this list 10/10 times.

You could go back a little further and add Bray to the discussion and that might kick up some opinions, but I'm not sure he's a great fit for Heup's system. I'd probably still rather have Joe.
I would take Bray, he is a lot like Drew Lock and Hueple had a field day with him at Missouri. Bray was great at UT the O was great but had one of the worst Ds with Sunseri in this century. Bray is a little better than Milton IMO just a better pure passer and knows how to sling it long or short.

For perspective, complaining about a talent like Joe is kind of a "luxury problem" to have for us these days. I say that because if you could replace him with any other QB in the "Dark times of UT football", who else would you want from these choices? I used all the starting QB's I can think of from the last 10 years.

Worley
Peterman (The Tennessee version)
Dormady
Keller Chryst
JG
Will McBride
JT Shrout
Maurer
Harrison Bailey

Personally, I'm taking Milton over this list 10/10 times.

You could go back a little further and add Bray to the discussion and that might kick up some opinions, but I'm not sure he's a great fit for Heup's system. I'd probably still rather have Joe.
Bray, in Heupel’s system, with Joe’s attitude/work ethic would be something to see.

I once saw Dobbs almost beat florida in the swamp playing qb, rb, and all three wr positions. All while being coached by butch Jones. I doubt he'd be better than hooker, but he would have feasted in this offense.

I actually think JG would have the potential to be much better. Bray would have absolutely killed defenses with the wide splits. Worley and dormady, who knows, but almost certainly better given our step up in coaching.

It's hard to evaluate our qb failures without taking coaching into context. And even then it's mostly guessing/message board fodder

I try not to look at the stat lines of the group listed. I think about who might be a good fit w/ this offense and Heupel. Shrout could spin it.
He was not accurate. If anything Dobbs was the guy like Hooker. Maybe Guarantano from a raw talent stand point along with Maurer. The rest were just not very good. I think both could have been very good with the right guy leading them. Butch fked up JG along with Pruitt and his cronies. Maurer could have been good as well because he was an athletic guy that could hurt you with his legs. Both would need good talent and OL.

He was not accurate. If anything Dobbs was the guy like Hooker. Maybe Guarantano from a raw talent stand point along with Maurer. The rest were just not very good. I think both could have been very good with the right guy leading them. Butch fked up JG along with Pruitt and his cronies. Maurer could have been good as well because he was an athletic guy that could hurt you with his legs. Both would need good talent and OL.
I don’t remember any of them being particularly accurate, but I always felt Shrout threw a good deep ball. It seemed like every time JG threw one up he was bailed out by Jennings or Palmer. Maurer could’ve been effective bc he was athletic like you said. I think the most important physical aspect of Heupel’s offense is a strong arm with the ability to get rid of the ball quickly. That’s why I thought Shrout could be a decent QB if he were in the system for an extended period. I’m definitely not suggesting any of those guys were going to lead us to the promised land.

I don’t remember any of them being particularly accurate, but I always felt Shrout threw a good deep ball. It seemed like every time JG threw one up he was bailed out by Jennings or Palmer. Maurer could’ve been effective bc he was athletic like you said. I think the most important physical aspect of Heupel’s offense is a strong arm with the ability to get rid of the ball quickly. That’s why I thought Shrout could be a decent QB if he were in the system for an extended period. I’m definitely not suggesting any of those guys were going to lead us to the promised land.
You may be right. JG threw a good back shoulder ball. I still remember him having his best game against Auburn at Jordan Hare. If he could have put it all together like he did that day I have no doubt we would all think differently of him. There was no doubt about him being talented. I think he was shell shocked and never got past the abuse he took early. Think maybe Heupel could have made him a better QB. I think that is also why your not really seeing much of Nico. That natural clock a QB has can be shattered if they are abused.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
You may be right. JG threw a good back shoulder ball. I still remember him having his best game against Auburn at Jordan Hare. If he could have put it all together like he did that day I have no doubt we would all think differently of him. There was no doubt about him being talented. I think he was shell shocked and never got past the abuse he took early. Think maybe Heupel could have made him a better QB. I think that is also why your not really seeing much of Nico. That natural clock a QB has can be shattered if they are abused.
I agree. We’ll always remember that Auburn and that UK game where he had 3 different guys w/ 100 yards. Unfortunately, there were also some tough memories. I think he really had a hard time when the lights came on. I think Milton may have some similar issues, but he has overcome it some and hasn’t really had the catastrophic plays that JG made over and over again.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
I agree. We’ll always remember that Auburn and that UK game where he had 3 different guys w/ 100 yards. Unfortunately, there were also some tough memories. I think he really had a hard time when the lights came on. I think Milton may have some similar issues, but he has overcome it some and hasn’t really had the catastrophic plays that JG made over and over again.
Yeah he had some dreadful moments. Thats where I think Heupel would have made a difference. I also don't think Heupel would have thrown him to the wolves like others did. I think the beatings he took regularly stunted his mental development. But he was tough physically that's for damn sure. I still think of the pounding he took against Florida and Georgia

I don’t understand the reason for this thread. It’s pure fantasy and seems like a passive aggressive way to take a few more shots at Milton.

I don’t understand the reason for this thread. It’s pure fantasy and seems like a passive aggressive way to take a few more shots at Hooker.
Me personally, no shots are being taken. I fully support Milton and this team. Milton is going to have a game soon that makes all the doubters say damn I was wrong. The guy just has too much talent imo. He just needs to play and not think to much.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
No to that list. Tayven Jackson has been decent this year at Indiana, would be interesting seeing him in this offense, but I doubt he'd be better than Joe.
Kaidon Salter has better numbers. Granted he was only here for a sneeze.

Me personally, no shots are being taken. I fully support Milton and this team. Milton is going to have a game soon that makes all the doubters say damn I was wrong. The guy just has too much talent imo. He just needs to play and not think to much.
You are fast! I changed my mistype of Hooker to Milton almost immediately after I posted it.

I hope he does. I’ve made one post earlier in the year stating I didn’t expect him to change from what he’s always been. But I do think he’s good enough for us to win games and promised myself not to pick on his flaws after every game. His record here over the past 7 games shows that we can win with him.

You are fast! I changed my mistype of Hooker to Milton almost immediately after I posted it.

I hope he does. I’ve made one post earlier in the year stating I didn’t expect him to change from what he’s always been. But I do think he’s good enough for us to win games and promised myself not to pick on his flaws after every game. His record here over the past 7 games shows that we can win with him.
Hard to follow Hooker man. The guy was truly special. Hyatt also had a very special year that probably won't be duplicated anytime soon. That team last year just bonded and Hooker was a big part of that. But I think Joe has the respect of his team. We will be ok. Keep developing solid leaders

Wouldn’t take him over Milton, but Worley seemed like a pretty tough guy and had zero help most of the time. Plus, he was forced to play in a scheme that didn’t fit him. He got the stew knocked out of him every Saturday, but I never heard of any whining and complaining…..openly anyway. He was pretty decent too.

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
I would love to have seen JG under Heupel for 3 years.
Why would anyone who calls themself a Tennessee fan wish this? Jg was the worst qb to start over multiple seasons in school history. He lost the starting job a wsu to a 6ft walkon. He was a terrible quarterback, he threw the same amount of picks in one half that Joe has thrown in 5 games. Heupel couldn’t help him…

Why would anyone who calls themself a Tennessee fan wish this? Jg was the worst qb to start over multiple seasons in school history. He lost the starting job a wsu to a 6ft walkon. He was a terrible quarterback, he threw the same amount of picks in one half that Joe has thrown in 5 games. Heupel couldn’t help him…
You do not know what would have been. It's all speculation. JG had horrible coaches. Arm talent was there, it was the right mentality that was lacking.

Reactions: wesley21

VN Store

Back