Eric Russell hired by Washington State (RUMOR)...

Good luck to Coach Russell. Job stability for him with Leach.

Opportunity for us to get an SEC quality guy. The ST's improved from atrocious to at least being halfway decent in coverage and with DY's stability at returning. DY made some really good decisions out there for a true freshman. At least we did not have to hold our breath that he would catch it. We were still Div. II or worse in kicking and punting.

Can we fire the kickers? Nooooooo
So we should have fired Hinshaw when Bray got hurt and Simms came in? I guess we should have hired him back when Bray came back. The point is, you can coach till you fall over dead. Some players just can't get it done. Since Simms had the same coaching as Bray, shouldn't he perform the same way? I guess they told him to hold the ball longer than they told Bray to hold it. I'm sure ER told Darr to take his own sweet time getting the ball out or he taught Palardy to kick the ball out of bounds on the onside kicks. They said he did great with that kick in practice and looked what happened during the game. Is that on the coach or the player?

Just to clarify, the blocked punt against Florida was not Russell's fault. The blocking scheme was fine. Propst missed his block.

Just to clarify, the blocked punt against Florida was not Russell's fault. The blocking scheme was fine. Propst missed his block.

Watch games closely. If the others guys have picked up something in their film work and they think they can get a block, it will come on the second punt. On the first punt, they will check to see if you haven't changed anything since the last game. Then they put on "the play" for the second punt. That was just the ole two fat guys grab our guys and pull them apart and create a gap, Rainey shoots thru and you hope to catch Propst back there Voguing...which he was. You create the gap on the opposite side from the deep blocker. It is covered in the Punt Blocking textbook on page 1. Oldest trick in the book. It is actually an illegal play but rarely called.

Here is Propst doing his punt blocking...

Madonna - Vogue (video) - YouTube

Leach really did his research on this hire...

I guess he figures he can bring back some Texas Tech kicking magic...

Last edited:
I stated yesterday that staff would leave for other jobs...

I am glad that coach can continue his relationship with Leach. He is close to where he is from and he is going to enjoy being back out there.

He also will have the time to create a really top notch unit.

The return against Arkansas was MISERABLE but it was not coaching or scheme. When a player is in the exact right place and whiffs, it is not on the coach. When a player is totally lost and out of position, that is when you need to cry about the coach.

I asked a former NFL kicker last week how much a special teams coach could help with our kicking, and he said they could not help unless they are a kicking coach. He did not encounter a great kicking coach until the NFL, and said that during college he was basically ignored unless he was screwing up and then he got a combo of criticism and encouragement...

I asked a former NFL kicker last week how much a special teams coach could help with our kicking, and he said they could not help unless they are a kicking coach. He did not encounter a great kicking coach until the NFL, and said that during college he was basically ignored unless he was screwing up and then he got a combo of criticism and encouragement...

I don't doubt that story for a minute. It has always amazed me that coaches treat the guys responsible for scoring most of the points as an afterthought. I had a well known college coach tell me that he "never recruited kickers because it was never a problem finding somebody to walk on and do fine". It blew my mind.

Unbelievable. Except for virtually every Tennessee site on the internet, you really broke that story.

Big difference between getting fired and being allowed to find another job.

On the other hand, I could have broken tons of lies as if they were true and then reversed myself by saying "they were just rumors..."

Big difference between getting fired and being allowed to find another job.

On the other hand, I could have broken tons of lies as if they were true and then reversed myself by saying "they were just rumors..."

No one said he was being fired. No one. He was rumored by tons and tons of people to be going to State as soon as Leach was hired. But, nice job pretending you know more than anyone else knows.

Actually on this particular punt block, Propst started on the same side as Rainey. But they knew he would be sliding away from where they had practiced creating the gap. And you want to bring the punt blocker in on the same side as the punter's kicking foot...left side in this case.

Hold it: How Florida skirts the rules to block punts John Clay's Sidelines

My point is that this was not Russell's fault. If Propst had even just bumped Rainey, he wouldn't have been able to block the punt.

My point is that this was not Russell's fault. If Propst had even just bumped Rainey, he wouldn't have been able to block the punt.

Ok, first off, if you only going to have one guy back there, it ain't Propst. Need someone a little quicker than than...Maggitt for example.

Second, it is coaching. The punter lines up 15 yards behind the center. The deep back lines up 5 yards behind the center. When the deep back steps across, his first step is directly sideways....move horizontally That way he is centered and five yards back so he can see if there are any holes in the dam. If you look at those photos, Propst starts five yards back; but then in the second photo he has moved forward a yard. So by the time he saw Rainey, he had no shot at him. I don't fault Propst for that; I fault the coaches.

Whatever...it doesn't matter man...he gone

Reactions: 1 person
Ok, first off, if you only going to have one guy back there, it ain't Propst. Need someone a little quicker than than...Maggitt for example.

Second, it is coaching. The punter lines up 15 yards behind the center. The deep back lines up 5 yards behind the center. When the deep back steps across, his first step is directly sideways....move horizontally That way he is centered and five yards back so he can see if there are any holes in the dam. If you look at those photos, Propst starts five yards back; but then in the second photo he has moved forward a yard. So by the time he saw Rainey, he had no shot at him. I don't fault Propst for that; I fault the coaches.

Whatever...it doesn't matter man...he gone
I hadn't noticed that he took a step forward until now. You're right about that. His job is to take anyone who leaks through so he should be as deep as possible.

If the Washington St rumor is true, then hopefully we get someone who will fix the special teams problems.

I'm completely OK if he goes. Our special teams are as bad as I've ever seen them. What happened to our kickers being #1 out of high school....my arse. Somethings gotta give, might as well be him. As someone said previously, we can't fire Palardy.......

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back