Eric Russell hired by Washington State (RUMOR)...

Hope we get a good coach to fill his spot. Kind of happy he left. Our special teams was awful.

Russell's special teams coverage units were largely effective despite severe inconsistencies in both the kicking and punting phases. The Vols finished the season ranked 11th nationally in kickoff return yardage defense and ranked first in the SEC at 18.10 yards per return. Tennessee also allowed just 14 of 54 punts to be returned this season. The Vols didn't yield a special teams score until the 10th game of the season at Arkansas, when Joe Adams made at least six would-be UT tacklers miss. It was the deepest into a season without allowing a return for a score that Tennessee had been since 2004.

-vq

Reactions: 1 person
This staff needs a good on field coach first and recruiter 2nd IMO. The staff is doing fine recruiter and Russell was a middle of the road recruiter.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I disagree. I think coaching is a little overrated. You can coach up these middle tier players all you want but if saban is coaching up top 100 players and you're not it won't do you a damn bit of good.

I disagree. I think coaching is a little overrated. You can coach up these middle tier players all you want but if saban is coaching up top 100 players and you're not it won't do you a damn bit of good.

Midfielder,

Do you feel that this staff currently has a problem in recruiting? If the answer is no like most would agree then simply replacing Russell with an equal recruiter is sufficient in maintaining that success. I think there a plenty of guys out there that can recruit at his level while bringing us a better product on the field. I just think Russell is very replaceable as a recruiter even with a a coach first kind of replacement.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Extremely possible. Like where our recruiting is at. But you never pass on a chance to add an impeccable recruiter esp. At ut where you recruit nationally

This has been confirmed. Russell is gone.
patrickbrownTFP I've confirmed the VolQuest report that Tennessee STs coordinator/TEs coach Eric Russell is joining Mike Leach's staff at Washington State.

Reactions: 1 person
I talked to some of his family on Friday. He loved Tennessee, as does most of the coaching staff - but Leach promoted him to Asst. Head Coach/Special Teams + Pay Raise. He is also from the Pacific Northwest.

Good Luck!

Hope we get a top notch hire!

I talked to some of his family on Friday. He loved Tennessee, as does most of the coaching staff - but Leach promoted him to Asst. Head Coach/Special Teams + Pay Raise. He is also from the Pacific Northwest.

Good Luck!

Hope we get a top notch hire!

Best of luck to him. Under appreciated by the fan base here. Hope we can get a solid replacement.

Extremely possible. Like where our recruiting is at. But you never pass on a chance to add an impeccable recruiter esp. At ut where you recruit nationally

not saying Russell would be considered elite recuiter, but he was good

he was lead recruiter for McNeil & Meredith

hopefully this doesn't change things for McNeil

Wonder who UT hires now? Can we please somehow get good at special teams?

It's looking like Shibest maybe our guy, from what I've heard and read. Sad part about it is, we could probably offer 350k to Billy Napier, and I think he would be the biggest hire Dooley has made, save Wilcox.

VN Store

Back