Eric Russell hired by Washington State (RUMOR)...

I can't remember if it was skeeter or OCI, but one of them did say expect more coaching turnover. Could have been referring to the interview processes going on and specifically to Russell. The thing that confuses me is, if Russell is good enough to be hired by Leach, whom MANY posters wanted to replace CDD, why isn't Russell good enough for us here and now for so many to be calling for his head? Just food for thought.

Edit: I hate our kicking game. Need someone to specifically coach the KICKERS, not just blocking schemes.

Reactions: 1 person
inb4negavols jump for joy :)

Besides, I can't remember if it was skeeter or OCI, but one of them did say expect more coaching turnover. Could have been referring to the interview processes going on and specifically to Russell. The thing that confuses me is, if Russell is good enough to be hired by Leach, whom MANY posters wanted to replace CDD, why isn't Russell good enough for us here and now for so many to be calling for his head? Just food for thought.

It's the same bunch of gurus who blame HH for our run blocking this year

Reactions: 1 person
YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise the Lord!

That's fine with me completely. He has done nothing to show that he is worth our paycheck. And not surprising, since he worked at Tech with Leach. My guess is, Leach won't be able to find too many assistants to work with him that are outside of his past jobs.

Plus....he has always looked like some sort of furry woodland creature to me.

I guess Hinshaw takes WR and TE, Chaney takes OC and QB, Hiestand on OL, and _________________ as RB, and I guess Dooley gets someone new to coach ST.

I think Dooley should hire Coach Conrad!

I can't remember if it was skeeter or OCI, but one of them did say expect more coaching turnover. Could have been referring to the interview processes going on and specifically to Russell. The thing that confuses me is, if Russell is good enough to be hired by Leach, whom MANY posters wanted to replace CDD, why isn't Russell good enough for us here and now for so many to be calling for his head? Just food for thought.

Edit: I hate our kicking game. Need someone to specifically coach the KICKERS, not just blocking schemes.

Eric Russell is not good enough for U.T. fans, just as Chavis is not good enough for U.T. fans. Neither is Kiffin.

Now look at what Chavis is accomplishing at LSU. Look at what a good coaching job Kiffin is doing at U$C. I predict that in 3 or 4 seasons, we will be watching a WSU game on t.v. and the announcer will state that WSU has the best Special Teams group in the nation.

Reactions: 2 people
If JayG doesn't work out then Brown would fill the ST Coordinator spot.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Eric Russell is not good enough for U.T. fans, just as Chavis is not good enough for U.T. fans. Neither is Kiffin.

Now look at what Chavis is accomplishing at LSU. Look at what a good coaching job Kiffin is doing at U$C. I predict that in 3 or 4 seasons, we will be watching a WSU game on t.v. and the announcer will state that WSU has the best Special Teams group in the nation.

Good luck with your new job Eric

That's fine with me completely. He has done nothing to show that he is worth our paycheck. And not surprising, since he worked at Tech with Leach. My guess is, Leach won't be able to find too many assistants to work with him that are outside of his past jobs.

Plus....he has always looked like some sort of furry woodland creature to me.

I guess Hinshaw takes WR and TE, Chaney takes OC and QB, Hiestand on OL, and _________________ as RB, and I guess Dooley gets someone new to coach ST.

I think Dooley should hire Coach Conrad!

Been saying this all along. Makes lots of sense. Hinshaw did well with WR at Memphis and I'm not sure why Chaney is coaching RB anyways. Seems like he should be the QB coach.

If Coach Russell departs, we should all Palardy_Like_a_Rock_Star

:dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2:

Here's a little something for the road Coach Russell......

:stinker2::stinker2::stinker2:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Chavis walked into a situation where he did not have to recruit. Give me the 11 players he has on D and even I could win ball games.

NOW GO AWAY TROLL

a little information on Russell.

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley welcomed a familiar face when he named Eric Russell to his assistant coaching staff. Russell coached two seasons under Dooley at Louisiana Tech before moving to the Texas Tech staff.

During his first season in Knoxville, Russell sparked improvement in UT's special teams units. The combination of Daniel Lincoln and true freshman Michael Palardy made 15 of 18 field goals. Additionally, the kickoff return teams averaged 21.5 yards while allowing only 19.0 yards per return. The Vols also successfully pulled off two fake punts for first downs and a kickoff reverse that sent true freshman Da'Rick Rogers on a 78- yard runback.

In addition, his work with tight ends helped senior Luke Stocker finish third on UT with 39 catches.

The 43-year-old Russell has a reputation as one of the top special teams coaches in the country and was special teams coordinator at Texas Tech in 2009. For his efforts, Russell was a nominee for the 2009 Frank Broyles Awards honoring the nation's top assistant coaches.

The Idaho native arrived in Lubbock after two highly successful seasons in the same position at Louisiana Tech under Dooley. In 2008, he helped make the Bulldogs the No. 1-ranked special teams unit in the entire nation in the accumulation of net punting, punt returns, kickoff return defense and kickoff returns. Tech scored five times on special teams in 2008, and during Russell's two seasons the Bulldogs scored via the punt return, kickoff return, blocked field goal return and blocked punt return.

Before that, Russell spent 13 seasons at North Texas, including five as the special teams coordinator. During his tenure at North Texas, Russell helped lead the program to four consecutive Sun Belt Conference titles and four consecutive appearances in the New Orleans Bowl from 2001-04.

During his time as special teams coordinator, North Texas blocked 14 punts, including seven during the 2003 season. Prior to joining the North Texas staff in 1994, Russell served as a graduate assistant at New Mexico in 1993 and at Idaho in 1991.

An all-state quarterback at St. Marie's High School, Russell was named the Idaho Offensive Player of the Year as a senior before earning all-conference honors at Spokane (Wash.) Falls Community College in 1986-87. He earned his bachelor's degree in public relations from Idaho in 1991.

Russell is married to the former Shannon Cook of Tyler, Texas, and the couple has a son, Hayden, and a daughter, Hadleigh.

VN Store

Back