Eric Russell hired by Washington State (RUMOR)...

Coverage was good huh? Joe Adams from Arkansas called and disagrees..
Really??? I guess there were no players around him when he caught the ball. You might want to re-think the coverage statement. The guys that were there just gave a half-a__ed effort.

Coverage was better than the last 10 years. Some of you people just have a really hard time being objective about anything. If a recruit leaves, we didn't need him. If a coach leaves, he sucked. It's stupid.

Regarding the Ark play, coverage had 6 players in front of the returner to make the tackle. They didn't. Anybody who played a sport or coached knows that was just a crazy play by a better athlete, who happens to be one of the best in the country.

No it really wasn't. Our punting was just so god-awful the other team rarely got to return one.

Perfect for this staff if true. You can either let Dooley hire a ST coordinator to focus solely on the STs. That would allow Hinshaw, Hiestand, and Dooley coaching the TEs. You could put Dooley in charge of STs, hire a RB and WR coach. Also, you could even hire a QB and RB coach. A bunch of possibilities with this move.

Coach Russell not only improved our kick coverage units dramatically, he also provided enough confidence that we could pull off some surprises from time to time such as a fake punt on 4th down or an unexpected onside kick. The kickers were unsatisfactory but I don't see how you put that on him.

John Brice all but 100% confirmed it. Said he was probably cleaning his office out today, but that the AD is silent on it right now.

Coach Russell not only improved our kick coverage units dramatically, he also provided enough confidence that we could pull off some surprises from time to time such as a fake punt on 4th down or an unexpected onside kick. The kickers were unsatisfactory but I don't see how you put that on him.[/QUOTE]

If you can't put the kickers on the Special Teams coach, then who we gonna put it on?

DJ, I haven't seen you say anything positive about a UT coach on here anyway.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. You must've not read my posts on Wilcox, Sirmon, Thomspon, and Hiestand.

Back to the topic at hand, when you are punting the ball 30 yards, coverage gets slightly less complicated. Just sayin'

Coach Russell not only improved our kick coverage units dramatically, he also provided enough confidence that we could pull off some surprises from time to time such as a fake punt on 4th down or an unexpected onside kick. The kickers were unsatisfactory but I don't see how you put that on him.[/QUOTE]

If you can't put the kickers on the Special Teams coach, then who we gonna put it on?
How about the kickers themselves?........

Point being that you can lead a dog to water but you can't drink it for him. If a kicker isn't consistent he needs to practice until he is or else we need another kicker.

Coverage was better than the last 10 years. Some of you people just have a really hard time being objective about anything. If a recruit leaves, we didn't need him. If a coach leaves, he sucked. It's stupid.Regarding the Ark play, coverage had 6 players in front of the returner to make the tackle. They didn't. Anybody who played a sport or coached knows that was just a crazy play by a better athlete, who happens to be one of the best in the country.

I agree with this statement more than any I have seen on here lately. I do not know why some cannot accept the fact that some coaches or players would rather be somewhere else and that is fine. It does not make them a bad coach or player just because they are not happy in their current situation.

Our kicking woes were so awful that I have to believe most of the issue was mental. I am being serious when I say that they need more of a sports psychologist than a coach. What I saw reminded me of the yips in golf or a catcher that can't throw the ball back to the pitcher. Purely mental.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with this statement more than any I have seen on here lately. I do not know why some cannot accept the fact that some coaches or players would rather be somewhere else and that is fine. It does not make them a bad coach or player just because they are not happy in their current situation.

I can't speak for the others, but I was on here two weeks ago saying that Russell needed to move along. So for me, it is an answered prayer.

Look, Russell did a nice job with the coverage units. I got no problem there. But we really need someone involved who understands the art of kicking a football. Now admittedly, maybe that person is a grad assistant. But when palardy went into his slump, it's like...where does he turn for help? I'm sure that Chip Rhome and Matt Darr were probably trying to help. But it is a mental thing. You almost need a team shrink on staff to help the kickers. Just my nickel

Our kicking woes were so awful that I have to believe most of the issue was mental. I am being serious when I say that they need more of a sports psychologist than a coach. What I saw reminded me of the yips in golf or a catcher that can't throw the ball back to the pitcher. Purely mental.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Amen Bruin Amen! For those saying weak legged kickers, that ain't it. Palardy got the leg. He cranked 52 yards off the grass at Bama. He just lost his confidence.

While we are on the topic, I thought that Young regressed as a kick returner as the season went along. He also lost his swagger....in my humble opinion

UT athletics does have a sports psychologist, as well as a team chaplain. No stone is left un-turned here.

Amen Bruin Amen! For those saying weak legged kickers, that ain't it. Palardy got the leg. He cranked 52 yards off the grass at Bama. He just lost his confidence.

While we are on the topic, I thought that Young regressed as a kick returner as the season went along. He also lost his swagger....in my humble opinion

DY lost confidence for sure you could see that when he didnt return that ball right on the goal line against Vandy.

Those 2 kickers might be the most fixable thing we have, and a change of voice coaching them might not hurt. That deosn"t mean Russell is at fault at all just a different voice might calm their demons.

DY lost confidence for sure you could see that when he didnt return that ball right on the goal line against Vandy.

Those 2 kickers might be the most fixable thing we have, and a change of voice coaching them might not hurt. That deosn"t mean Russell is at fault at all just a different voice might calm their demons.

Exactly!!!!!!!!! Well stated Bruin!

Was Russell in on that play? Pretty sure I saw him on the sidelines

No, but he selected Mister Propst to stand back there and do his best 'Vogue...strike a Pose' routine as Rainey dashed by...

Come on people; we had special teams problems and yet you don't want to blame the special teams coach?

There's a guy in middle TN who coaches kickers. Sent his name to CDD. He doesn't want the job, but he's turned out lots of kids who've kicked at NCAA & NFL. Guys like this should be at least consulted for scholarship kickers from Tennessee.

VN Store

Back