Elite Dangerous

So I've shed the training wheels and have no issues landing on a dime and any station =D

Worked my way into a Cobra MKIII and have been doing mainly delivery missions that pay over $130k. I'm also dabbling in some pirate lord hunting but that's gotten me into some trouble.

Got about $4.5 mil in the bank - but it's getting grindy. How can I make more $$ and keep things interesting?

Last edited:
So I've shed the training wheels and have no issues landing on a dime and any station =D

Worked my way into a Cobra MKIII and have been doing nothing delivery missions that pay over $130k. I'm also dabbling in some pirate lord hunting but that's gotten me into some trouble.

Got about $4.5 mil in the bank - but it's getting grindy. How can I make more $$ and keep things interesting?

Well, you've asked the million dollar question in Elite. It gets grindy and there's not exactly a bunch of options. You will get higher payouts the more you increase your rep with a faction/system, a.k.a "grinding missions some more."

If you have a Cobra you can keep on hunting those pirates "adequately," but if you want to feel like you have teeth then grind your way into a Vulture. Then bounty hunting becomes a little more exciting as you can actually take on bigger ships like Dropships, Pythons, Anacondas, etc in nav beacons or hazardous extraction sites (still helps if you have help, though)

If you want, get involved in the Community Goals that appear on the map. While also grindy, if you play in open, you will have more interactions with the community there than just bouncing around random systems trading and fighting NPCs.

Exploring, passenger missions, and mining are slow, peaceful, yet also grindy options. Trading can be more exciting as you'll get interdicted more often, but while the Cobra *can* trade, you'll be better off trading in an ASP or buying a tank like a T6 and outfitting the best hull/shields you can afford on it.

Unlocking engineers to improve your ship's modules is debatably the most grindy thing in the game. A lot of people hate it, but it's also there for you as an option if you want to farm bunches of material for fairly small increases in power, distance, output, etc. on weapons, shields, engines, etc.

Basically, there will come a point you'll need a break from the game. I took nearly a 5 month break from it last year. But I still come back to it. Part of me wishes you could have multiple character slots so when I'm 20,000 ly from civilization exploring, I could jump to another character in the bubble to do some bounty hunting.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, you've asked the million dollar question in Elite. It gets grindy and there's not exactly a bunch of options. You will get higher payouts the more you increase your rep with a faction/system, a.k.a "grinding missions some more."

If you have a Cobra you can keep on hunting those pirates "adequately," but if you want to feel like you have teeth then grind your way into a Vulture. Then bounty hunting becomes a little more exciting as you can actually take on bigger ships like Dropships, Pythons, Anacondas, etc in nav beacons or hazardous extraction sites (still helps if you have help, though)

If you want, get involved in the Community Goals that appear on the map. While also grindy, if you play in open, you will have more interactions with the community there than just bouncing around random systems trading and fighting NPCs.

Exploring, passenger missions, and mining are slow, peaceful, yet also grindy options. Trading can be more exciting as you'll get interdicted more often, but while the Cobra *can* trade, you'll be better off trading in an ASP or buying a tank like a T6 and outfitting the best hull/shields you can afford on it.

Unlocking engineers to improve your ship's modules is debatably the most grindy thing in the game. A lot of people hate it, but it's also there for you as an option if you want to farm bunches of material for fairly small increases in power, distance, output, etc. on weapons, shields, engines, etc.

Basically, there will come a point you'll need a break from the game. I took nearly a 5 month break from it last year. But I still come back to it. Part of me wishes you could have multiple character slots so when I'm 20,000 ly from civilization exploring, I could jump to another character in the bubble to do some bounty hunting.

Oh a second character would be great. I don't look forward to the trip back home.

Oh a second character would be great. I don't look forward to the trip back home.

There are ways to get back faster. WARNING!!!: AFTER, and ONLY AFTER you sell your data somewhere in Colonia:

1) Buy a sidewinder in Colonia
2) Self-destruct
3) Choose the "Free" Sidewinder instead of rebuying the one you just bought.
4) You'll restart in LHS3447 within the bubble and not Colonia
5) Optional: you can then request to have your other ship transferred back from Colonia. It might take a few days AND also costs a crapload, so be aware of that, but if you just can't make it back without wanting to jump through the window into the vacuum of space yelling "take me!!" then it's an option.

Note: if you sell off all your expensive modules (I can't remember what you were flying GBO) you could just self-destruct in that ship and forget the ship transfer option. The money you made exploring + the selling of the high class modules should let you recoup your costs fairly well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
There are ways to get back faster. WARNING!!!: AFTER, and ONLY AFTER you sell your data somewhere in Colonia:

1) Buy a sidewinder in Colonia
2) Self-destruct
3) Choose the "Free" Sidewinder instead of rebuying the one you just bought.
4) You'll restart in LHS3447 within the bubble and not Colonia
5) Optional: you can then request to have your other ship transferred back from Colonia. It might take a few days AND also costs a crapload, so be aware of that, but if you just can't make it back without wanting to jump through the window into the vacuum of space yelling "take me!!" then it's an option.

Note: if you sell off all your expensive modules (I can't remember what you were flying GBO) you could just self-destruct in that ship and forget the ship transfer option. The money you made exploring + the selling of the high class modules should let you recoup your costs fairly well.

I didn't know any of that. I may have to do one of those options. Thanks a bunch.

Just landed at Jaques Station in Colonia. Found 6 earth likes on the way and discovered 771 planets and stars. That made me 78 million. Not sure if that's a lot or not, but damn I'm glad to be done with it.

Reactions: 2 people
Just landed at Jaques Station in Colonia. Found 6 earth likes on the way and discovered 771 planets and stars. That made me 78 million. Not sure if that's a lot or not, but damn I'm glad to be done with it.

Congrats, and you entered the game at the right time to be an explorer. On my longest trip before the latest patch the most I ever made was 30 or so million and that included scanning about 8-9 earthlikes, 30+ water worlds, a black hole or two, etc. The boosts they gave scanning are a welcome change.

I don't even think I scanned a *new* earthlike on my last trip, may have scanned someone else's which still pays well, but turning in this last time I made 60 million.

I'm going to do some engineering this week now that I'm back within the Sol bubble and I'm also hunting for generation ships that are scattered within 100 ly of Sol pretty much.

Congrats, and you entered the game at the right time to be an explorer. On my longest trip before the latest patch the most I ever made was 30 or so million and that included scanning about 8-9 earthlikes, 30+ water worlds, a black hole or two, etc. The boosts they gave scanning are a welcome change.

I don't even think I scanned a *new* earthlike on my last trip, may have scanned someone else's which still pays well, but turning in this last time I made 60 million.

I'm going to do some engineering this week now that I'm back within the Sol bubble and I'm also hunting for generation ships that are scattered within 100 ly of Sol pretty much.

Wow it does sound like that boosted it. I think I'll head to Sag A and then back to the Sol area next (once my thumbs are no longer sore). I've been seeing YouTube videos about the generation ships. How do you find them? Distress signals?

Wow it does sound like that boosted it. I think I'll head to Sag A and then back to the Sol area next (once my thumbs are no longer sore). I've been seeing YouTube videos about the generation ships. How do you find them? Distress signals?

Based on what I've been able to gather, there are several out there that haven't been found yet. The community thinks most of them are within 100-150 ly of Sol based on the lore of everything.

I'm basically jumping into systems using the "economical" route plotting which makes you jump to bordering systems instead of just jumping to systems 30+ ly away.

Then I scan, and look in the contacts tab for a "Listening Post." Apparently going to them and scanning them will lead you to clues about what system the Generation ship is in.

Then you follow the breadcrumbs and supercruise around in the system that the clues point you to, and you should be able to find one.

I danced around in about 30-40 systems last night within 100-110 ly of Sol but never saw a single listening post.

I found a generation ship, once. That was really cool....and eerie. The data files left behind got my hairs to stand up a little. Freaky.

You definitely should. And it is worth it getting the Horizon's expansion, too. I haven't been able to play for a while because I am pretty focused on moving, but I plan on getting back on soon after the move this weekend. I hate moving...

The Westbrook will be back out in the depths of space this weekend. Modified my FSD and surface scanner last weekend, and did some brief bounty hunting for a change of pace, but exploring is what I do.

Attachments

• PicsArt_05-25-03.08.59.jpg
    PicsArt_05-25-03.08.59.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1
I finally upgraded for the second time to my third ship. I bought a diamondback explorer and fully tricked it out including 2 RV Scarabs. I really like the look of this ship. My buddy and I started the Ancient Alien Ruins quest. So far so good. We have 26 scans out of the (I think) 101 total scans. I will be able to buy an even more powerful ship at the end of this quest.

Just finished the Ancient Alien Ruins quest yesterday. Hello, 201 mil credit payout. Definitely upgrading to a nice ship now.

Holy crap. Is this a new update? I haven't been on in a month or two.

They just fixed the mission with the last update. There are 101 scans in total covering 15 different Acient Ruin sites. Each scan is worth 1 million credits, but if you get all 101 the mission gives you an extra 100 mil credits. 201 mil in total. You have to talk to a guy in the Meene system called Ram Tah.

I also think you can keep redoing the mission, too. It would get boring though lol.

Edit: Okay, I just found the name of it. It is called the Ancient Guardians mission. Here is a link to a walk through including all the pieces you need for each scan. If you decide to do this mission trust me you will want it. Oh, and you get only 4 weeks to do it. But, my bud and I did it in less than a week. Probs 10-12 hours in total.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/358893-ANCIENT-GUARDIANS-MISSION-GUIDE(Step-by-Step)-201-M-Cr

Last edited:
They just fixed the mission with the last update. There are 101 scans in total covering 15 different Acient Ruin sites. Each scan is worth 1 million credits, but if you get all 101 the mission gives you an extra 100 mil credits. 201 mil in total. You have to talk to a guy in the Meene system called Ram Tah.

I also think you can keep redoing the mission, too. It would get boring though lol.

Edit: Okay, I just found the name of it. It is called the Ancient Guardians mission. Here is a link to a walk through including all the pieces you need for each scan. If you decide to do this mission trust me you will want it. Oh, and you get only 4 weeks to do it. But, my bud and I did it in less than a week. Probs 10-12 hours in total.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...UARDIANS-MISSION-GUIDE(Step-by-Step)-201-M-Cr

I'll check it out if I can make it back from the center in time. I'm glad more alien stuff is getting introduced.

I'll check it out if I can make it back from the center in time. I'm glad more alien stuff is getting introduced.

I'm pretty certain we are gonna see the bad aliens soon in the next update or two. And the info we gain from these ancient alien site scans will help give us some good tech to fight them off.

I'm probably going to use the money I got to buy a Python and upgrade the heck out of it. I'm aiming for a Federal Corvette since my buddy had the Imperial Cutter. But, I am torn because I like the fact that the Cutter has a larger jump range. Still, gonna be a while before I can even get the go ahead to buy one.

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain we are gonna see the bad aliens soon in the next update or two. And the info we gain from these ancient alien site scans will help give us some good tech to fight them off.

I'm probably going to use the money I got to buy a Python and upgrade the heck out of it. I'm aiming for a Federal Corvette since my buddy had the Imperial Cutter. But, I am torn because I like the fact that the Cutter has a larger jump range. Still, gonna be a while before I can even get the go ahead to buy one.

Fighting aliens would add so much to that game.

Yeah I'm not sure what to get next either after my return but damn it better be the biggest jumper available because I'll be damned if I do this run again without a fully maxed FTL drive lol

thinking about getting this game. looks like it will scratch a lot of the itches that No Mans Sky gave me. Do I need to get the DLCs to be able to play? game is 30 bucks then the season pass for Horizon is another 30 and that is a little steep for a game I am leery about.

Fighting aliens would add so much to that game.

Yeah I'm not sure what to get next either after my return but damn it better be the biggest jumper available because I'll be damned if I do this run again without a fully maxed FTL drive lol

What are you using? Right now I am using a Diamondback Explorer that gets a 31-32 ltyr jump without any engineering done to it. That's pretty good for a smaller, cheaper ship. I haven't done any engineering yet, but it is my plan to do so while I gain rep with the Imperials or Federals.

thinking about getting this game. looks like it will scratch a lot of the itches that No Mans Sky gave me. Do I need to get the DLCs to be able to play? game is 30 bucks then the season pass for Horizon is another 30 and that is a little steep for a game I am leery about.

Trust me, ED is much better than NMS. And the devs are always listening to a very devoted fanbase. Just know there is no "build your own home base on a planet" in this game (although I think we may see a way to buy a large freighter in the future). You DO NOT need the Horizon's DLC to play the game. However, I HIGHLY suggest buying it as it adds some pretty fun and cool stuff to the game. You can always buy the game itself and hold off on the DLC until after you have played it a little to see if you'd like it. I will say that if you have friends to play it with then it just increases the fun you get from the game. But, you can definitely play it solo. Just understand that ED is in no way like other games. Highly "learn as you go" or "learn from reading online blogs" type of game. I just learn from my buddy that I play with.

Get the Legendary Edition (which includes all the DLC) for 50.........or 40 at best buy with GCU

BC, who goes to a store to buy games anymore?

and 04, thanks for the break down.

I would be playing on my PC.

VN Store

Back